Using VRBO for Kauaii Condo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering renting a condo from vrbo.com. My question is "how do you know it's a legitimate ad?" The place we want to book is at Kiahuna Plantation in building #39. (at the back end of the property, but only $165/night and about all that is left this late in the game) There are no comments from guests on the owner's site and they are asking us to pay using Paypal. Is that common?

I read about VRBO's "Homeaway Rent with Confidence Guarantee", but it has so many iffy stipulations that you must meet, should the ad not be legitimate. (For example, "you must be able to prove that the property does not exist.") Just how does one do that?

Thanks for all of the great advice!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM

We have rented many times with vrbo without a problem. Many of the ads do not have comments from previous guests so I wouldn't worry about that. I took a look at the condo you are considering and it looks perfectly legit to me. Paypal is very common now. I wouldn't worry about it but you could contact the owner with a couple of questions or ask for more pictures. You could worry about any of them but I don't believe anyone would go to the trouble of having the ad there if they didn't in fact have the condo. I wouldn't worry about it. If it suits your needs I would book it but as I say you can have contact with the owner beforehand and ask more about the property.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM

It is perfectly acceptable to ask for 1 or 2 references. I was nervous about a vrbo rental in Europe. Got excellent feedback; it was one of the best places we ever stayed. Have used often for Hawaii also.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM

VRBO is awesome!!!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
dmlove

Apparently except in New York! (We've used it in Park City and Aspen, never a problem). Talk to the owner on the phone -- you can get a feel for a person that way.

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM

passed by this morning. that building faces the road. no thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I have used VRBO in Colorado on 3 or 4 occasions and have been totally satisfied. If they book up early, it is generally repeat customers, which is a good sign.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM

I've never had a problem with VRBO. They send you a contract after you send in your deposite. Also you can call Outrigger @ Kiahuna Plantation and check to make sure the owners have put you in their system.

Building 39 could be a little noisey being near the road. If there isn't much left than it should be ok. I found that the fans drown out much of the noise.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I've also called Outrigger to make sure there isn't any remodeling going on the units next door before I book. We had that happen once and it was LOUD. Luckily the carpenters were on Island Time and didn't work every day and they started late and ended work early.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM

I've used VRBO without any problems. That's not to say that every owner is legit, but FYI it costs $175 to place an ad on VRBO. So I think that would scare away scammers.

I don't know about Hawaii, but in Ohio, you can do a real estate tax search of any address and get the owner's name. That might help ease your mind.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Did you catch kauai aka's message..drove by the building and it faces the road.

That is probably why the rent is lower. I would look elsewhere. We have stayed at Kiahuna but I woldn't if we didn't have the ocean view.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM

The building may be closest to Poipu Road, but the specific unit may be facing the garden area and not the road. I would ask the owner where specifically the living area, bedroom, lanai, etc. are facing and take it from there.

We always rented our places from private owners (not vrbo though) and never had a problem.. Well, with the exception of sometimes getting really funky places, but not like we would pay the deposit and never see the key.

Another thought for the original poster, did you check prices via suiteparadise.com? Kiahuna at $165/night may not be your only reasonable option.

Anna Roz
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Hi Amy & Chris,

As an owner in Poipu - just a note that LisaRex123 said it costs $175 for an ad on VRBO - My receipt I have is for $385US/Year and have rented to clients for years. VRBO is a reputable site - you can always phone the owner and talk with them directly - I always ask my clients if they have any questions or concerns to ask me - it works out better for both parties. If you decide to go ahead with Kiahuna Plantation - talk with the owner and ask all questions in advance.

Have a wonderful time in Kaua'i wherever you may stay.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I agree with asking for references. I have used vrbo about 6 times without any problems, but a couple of months ago we were ready to rent a place in Kauai (Princeville, so not the same one) and I never heard from the owner again after I asked for references. Their listing was new and I wanted a little reassurance before I sent off a check for $500. I even provided the names and numbers of the property managers that we had used in the past as a token of goodwill. I figure that the little voice in the back of my head was telling me the right thing. I found another place and am happy with our second choice.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM

To verify property ownership, go to the Kauai County Assessors Office website (http://www.kauaipropertytax.com/Addr...ss&mnu=PSearch) and enter the address of the property in question. This will display the property owner's name.

Ken
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM

"The building may be closest to Poipu Road, but the specific unit may be facing the garden area and not the road. I would ask the owner where specifically the living area, bedroom, lanai, etc. are facing and take it from there."

correct - the building is closest to road, and all units living area/lanai face the garden. but this particular area of cactus garden is of shoddy work, with lots of weeds. and with no shade, the lanais get nothing but our bright sun. hopefully the tenants leave in the morning not to return except after dark.

other than buildings #38 - 42, i happen to like the place and have booked for friends there.

if the op is concerned about the legit of the ad or if the property exists, the ans to both is yes.