Reload this Page >

Upstate NY--Sullivan County

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:57 AM
annie

I'm hoping to visit this area of New York looking to purchase a second home, see the woodstock site and other attractions. Can anyone tell me where a good location is to buy in this county. I'm looking for a 4 bed house with 5 acres or so. also, i'm interested in buying in a good school district in the event I someday relocate here with my small children. What other attractions are there for myself, husband and two kids.... we're not big into winter but want to have some fresh air at our beckoning....

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:08 AM
Merilee

Annie, I took a friend to Bethel this summer to visit the site of the original Woodstock music festival. I had a difficult time finding it because the area is being developed. Huge homes overlooking little lakes are cropping up everywhere. You will definitely find what you're looking for in a home. I don't have any information on the schools, but I'd be willing to bet that they are, or will be, very good as more people arrive. There's a little deli type store on the Main Street that is part of the Woodstock Museum right next door. The people in there told me that many people from the city are moving in especially after 9/11. They gave me a card that lists the town website at either www.bethel.com or org
I don't have the card with me, but I'm sure one of these is correct. There are a few lakes in the area that are popular during the summer, and during the winter you won't be far from skiing, sledding, and skating.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:18 AM
John

Merilee:

Hey, I have been following your Bronx rec's. and now you have a Woodstock ref,

Being a X-Bronxite and a person who was AT WOODSTOCK in 1969 I want to chat about the old neighborhoods! But, your email address does not conect (mine is also not active) How can I contact you online?
JOHN

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
annie

I think you have me confused with someone else.... i don't know anything about the Bronx [but am dying to know why is is the only borough that is refered to as THE Bronx.... while it is never said...THE Queens, THE Brooklyn.... anyhow, my correct email address is listed above.... perhaps you can tell me why THE Bronx is called as such......... what do you remember about the Woodstock concert???? Annie

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
Howard

I was working @ one of the hotels in the area and happened to be @ Monticello Raceway on Thursday evening B4 the concert. After the fourth race, or so, the track announcer stated that there would be no right-turns allowed when you left the track. Looking up, you could see a line of headlights as far as the eye could see.
We made it back to the hotel(we were going the opposite way), and found a lobby full of "hippies". The mostly older hotel guests thought they were witnessing an invasion from another planet.
The following morning, in the rain, we made our way to the site. Cars were ALL OVER Rte. 17. It looked like a war zone.
Seeing Hendrix and hearing him do the Anthem made it all worthwile...

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
John

Sorry Annie:

I was using your link to contact Merilee who had just answered your post!

Any way your answers:
The Bronx as I heard it is comes from the Dutch Family Jonas Bronck that lived in the area durng those crazy wampum days.....anyway the downtown folks at Wall Street would say "Lets go visit 'The Broncks".....thus the only borough with that monicker!
Woodstock was annother story that I will tell you later!
JOHN

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:33 AM
annie

Thanks John!! you are the first person to supply me with a viable answer to the, "the Bronx" question..... you would have won a BMW, but since your e mail address implies you have one..... I'll donate it to somefrom from "da Bronx"..... thanks again!