Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SHOP IN GLASTONBURY WITH CANDLE WITH LEAF OF HOLY TREE

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to locate a souvenir (or a somewhere that sells it) originally from Glastonbury. My mother bought a candle there that had a leaf embedded in it that was from the tree planted by Joseph of Arimathea. I ruined it as a child and I would love to replace it for her. If you have any ideas, especially websites I could look at, I would appreciate it tremendously.
Thank you,
[email protected]
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:08 AM

I'm a bit of a captive audience at home this morning, waiting for a repair person to arrive; so I have some time to google for your candle. I didn't find info on the particular candle you're after but I did find the email address and phone number for the gift shop manager at Glastonbury Abbey.

Maybe there are similar candles in the shop.

Gift Shop Manager - Susan Kastner
[email protected]
+44 (0)1458 831631

Good luck.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I'm captive too, so googled as well. If you follow this link www.glastonbury.co.uk and then look under 'business' and then 'shops on line' you will see a list of local shops that have their own websites. Perhaps if you fire an email off to some of these that look likely you might track down your candle.
M
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Hmmm. Well - I hate to disillusion you but I suspect they'd never even heard of Joseph of Arimathea in Glastonbury before the flower people invaded town

They've probably been selling said candles ever since ...

And I'm sure every other shop in town will probably sell you Arthur's original round table too ... if the price is right.

Steve
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. I have searched the Glastonbury Abbey website as well as the shops listed online with no luck so far. I was hoping someone would have a secret stash they could lead me to. However, my mother did buy it 25 years ago, so they may not be available anywhere anymore. Thank you very much for your help.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Steve Jsmes:

The Joseph of Arimathea legends predate flower children by around 1600 years.

Pick up some of the books written about Glastonbury in the past 150 years (the sensible bookshops in the town have recent reprints of most of them) and you'll find claims that authors as early as the 4th century AD referred to the legend. Go round the exhibition in the Abbey (which has been a place of pilgrimage for at least 1000 years) and you'll see how deeprooted, how long, the belief has been in the area.

What else did you think "And did those feet/In ancient time/walk upon England's mountains green?" refers to? Blake may well have been doped when he wrote Jerusalem. But he wasn't hanging out in a 1960s squat.

None of which I'm afraid helps beamerbon. But it'd be dreadful if the wiccans and druids killed the stories that really made Glastonbury famous.