Search

Upscale Dallas Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM
MD4
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upscale Dallas Hotel Help

We are looking at going to Dallas for our wedding anniversary the second weekend in September- looking at The Mansion on Turtle Creek, the Crescent and Hotel Zaza, all are around $350/night. We would great appreciate any information on their differences- they all look really nice. I did read on another (older) post that Hotel Zaza is a "party hotel", and if that's still true, probably not what we're looking for.

Also, they all seem to be in about the same area. Are they all within walking distance to restaurants and nightlife? Anything around to see/do during the day? Any other hotels in the area we should consider?

Thanks for any help- happy travels!
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Haven't been to the Mansion in several years, but it is hard to beat. They may have a package with dining, etc.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM

We are going to Dallas in early September as well and got an a room at the Mansion on Turtle Creek for $180 per night with free parking and a $75 gas card on Expedia. They also have rooms at Hotel Zaza for $150 per night and the Crescent for $220 per night. These prices DO NOT appear to be available on the hotel websites. I can't tell you about the hotels because I've never been but check out Expedia.com and save some money.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM

We recently stayed at The Mansion in July. The service and accommodations were top notch! The lobby bar was remodeled and is a cozy spot to have a cocktail before or after dinner. If you are up for any massage or facial treatments go no further. And poolside is a treat, too.

If you stay at The Mansion, they have a hotel car that can take you to your dinner reservation and pick you up. Very nice. If it isn't available, just take a cab. Quick and inexpensive.

Crescent Hotel feels outdated to me. For a similar price we really like The Mansion much better and is our top choice.

ZaZa is more hip and has a 20-something crowd. The bar and around the pool can get a little rowdy and loud with parties going strong until they give them the boot. Too hip for us ( = too noisy and too many party kids around).

Another one to throw in the mix is The Stoneleigh Hotel (same neighborhood as Crescent and ZaZa). Huge renovation to this great old hotel. More of a modern feel and the lobby bar is quite popular right now.

Where are you dining? There are fabulous restaurants in Dallas.

Will you have a car?
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Is the Adolphus still around? I stayed there after they renovated it in 90's and it was really nice. Also stay at The Mansion which was lovely.

Deb
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
MD4
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tip on Expedia- I did not check rates there, but I definitely will.

We were not planning to get a car, hoping we would be in an area where we could easily walk to restaurants and things to do, but we can if we need to. We'd really just like to have a nice place to relax, so I would hate to get a car only to drive to and from the airport and dinner.

The Mansion looks like our best bet right now, and the restaurant there looks very nice. Are there other nice places close by? We would enjoy a nice steak, seafood or sushi place, with a good wine list.

Thanks!

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Abacas has great seafood, steaks. LOVE this place!
http://www.kentrathbun.com/abacus.html

Steel
www.steeldallas.com

Lola (tasting menu with a nice wine list and around the corner from the Mansion. Nice tasting menu, too.)
www.lola4dinner.com

Nick & Sam's (steaks)
www.nick-sams.com

Also, Fearing's at The Ritz
and
The Mansion on Turtle Creek
for a special dinner.

All of these are near The Mansion so a cab or the house car can get you there in minutes and a few dollars.

I'm pretty sure these are on opentable.com for reservations, too.

Hope this helps.
BeachGirl

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Tons of great dining in Big D. I haven't stayed in the Adolphus, but I did eat at The French Room. Very good.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
MD4
Original Poster

After exploring a little further, The Stoneleigh looks like a really good possibility- thanks BeachGirl! The website rates start at $275, and I need to check expedia for it too. Looks like it is in better proximity for walking to some of the restaurants you mention, and the website also mentions being close to the trail system to several parks, which could be nice for an outing during the day.

I've shared all the info with my hubby, so we'll see what he says.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Expedia has deluxe king rooms at the Stoneleigh for $162 per night.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
yk

MD4 - If you're NOT going to rent a car, I would not recommend staying at the Stoneleigh. It'll still be very hot in Dallas in September (high 80s-90s) and you do not want to be walking much.

ZaZa and Crescent is right along the M-trolley path, and you can take the trolley which goes thru the whole Uptown area up to West Village.

http://www.mata.org/
route map:
http://www.mata.org/map.shtml

BTW, a very cute and romantic hotel I love, is the Hotel St Germain. We got engaged there; and the restaurant serves top notch French food.
http://www.hotelstgermain.com/
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I vote for the Mansion. I spent my 2nd wedding anniversary there in July and we loved it and had a wonderful dinner there. I used to live in an apt a few blocks from there, so I know that it is also very close to the Katy Trail.

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM

I've stayed at the Adolphus a few times while in Dallas on business. It's not a bad hotel, especially if you need to be in Downtown Dallas. It isn't someplace that I'd consider for a romantic anniversary weekend. I would think that part of town is fairly desolate on the weekend.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Though I havent stayed at The Stoneleigh, I did enjoy dinner at Ewald's, the onsite restaurant.Well there are several restaurants, but this one was very upscale.Seemed to me a lot of old Dallas moolah was in there.I, of course, felt out of place.Nonetheless, the food was fantastic.Excellent seafood and beef dishes.My hosts described it as "Old World".I hope to return on another visit.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Where did you stay, MD4?