Search

Upper Peninsula Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper Peninsula Questions

Hi Folks:

I am planing on taking my family to the UP for vacation in August '08 (My kids are 15 & 8).

My questions are:

Your thoughts on these areas to stay: Eagle River, Houghton, Marquette or Munising?

Is there another area I should consider?

Any total MUST SEEs in the UP?

This is my first trip there, so any
help would be useful.

I'm looking for an area that is out of the way, but not roughing it. Prefer sand beach to rocks.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM

We went to the UP for the first time last October and really liked it! Everyone should see Lake Superior once in their life. It's impressive. Our dog went swimming in it -- we just enjoyed it from the shore. I doubt it ever warms up enough but for the heartiest of swimmers.

We stayed in Munising, which was good in terms of a central location and it is right on the lake but the restaurant choices are quite limited.

Miner's Castle and Pictured Rocks are must-sees. Also some friends of ours recommended taking one of the boat tours that leave Munising, but they weren't running when we were there. They stop mid-Oct.

Hope this helps! I think you will enjoy the UP. We plan to go back.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM

My DS attends school in Houghton. I would divide the time, most likely between Munising/Marquette and Houghton.

In the Munising area Pictured Rocks is "the" attraction. Grand Island is fun if you have bikes with you. They also have a van tour. Sand beaches are plentiful between Munising and Marquette. The lake can actually warm up to swimming temperature especially on a hot day. There are a number of museums in Marquette based on mining and skiing.

In the Houghton area you have copper mines and museums as well as hiking opportunities. A drive up Brockway Mountain is a must - you can see to Isle Royale on a good day. August is thimbleberry season and you might luck out and get to try some.

Another spot to consider is the Soo in the eastern UP. You have the locks plus you are close to Mackinaw Island, another great place for biking.

Good luck with your planning.

SuzieTrue
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM

My mil just told me about the Calumet Mine outside of Houghton. You can mine your own copper there. Sounds fun!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Must agree with Pictured Rocks. You won't get as close to the rocks on a windy day, though.

Not near Houghton or Pictured Rocks, but the copper-colored Tahquamennon Falls (sp?) at the eastern end of the UP are beautiful. Also, as mentioned earlier, at the eastern end are the Soo Locks, which my kids really enjoyed.

I'd check further, but I'll believe the Upper Peninsula State Fair in Escanaba takes place in August. We've gone to the State Fairs in Detroit, but especially enjoyed the one in the UP, since it was on a much smaller scale.

Love da UP!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM

DH and I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour which took up to the UP. We took the Picture Rock tour and that is a must. Also what we both liked even more was the glass bottom Shipwreck Tour.

http://www.shipwrecktours.com/shipwrecks.html

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Something I just thought of, to add.

If you're headed to the eastern end of the UP, you might want to check out Paradise.

I haven't been there, but heard it's lovely (of course!). And wouldn't it be fun to tell everyone you went to Paradise on your vacation?

You can also go to Hell in the lower peninsula.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Keep in mind that Lake Superior water is Ice Cold even in August.
If your kids want to swim make sure to stay at any of the lakes in the UP or Northern WI. I have stayed with my family in Northern WI at Bibbs Resort at Little St Germain near Eagle River and did the Lake Superior day trip to the Porcupine MT state park in Ontanagon, MI and also have gone to Clark Lake in the Sylvania Wilderness just outside of Watersmeet, MI for a beautiful sandy lake to swim and fish in.
Enjoy your trip.