Search

western/northwestern Michigan in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:32 AM
lky
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
western/northwestern Michigan in August

My husband and I, along w/ our 16-year-old son, are planning a week's vacation to western/northwestern Michigan in mid- to late August. We think staying in two or three places would be best but are having a hard time deciding which are the best locations. We want to be by the lake, see Sleeping Bear Dunes, do some fun outdoor things like tubing, dunes climbing, etc. and also have some town activities to satisfy the teen. Ludington? Silver Lake? Manistee? Traverse City? Empire? Frankfort? Petosky? In this amount of time, is it worth going up to Mackinac Island? Any advice about locations and help w/ accomodations would be most appreciated. Also, does it take a long time to travel shortish distances--say, if you stay in one town but want to explore other areas?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Iky, Your best bet is Traverse City. You are near the dunes, can be right on the bay for water activities, and near teen activities. You can do a few of the other places as day trips, especially Petosky, Empire and Frankfort. Mackinac Island is worth the trip. Plan to get away from the dock area by renting bikes and riding around and/or over the island.

Try to make reservations soon as this is peak summer season for that area. If you can avoid traveling on Friday and Sunday, the times between places aren't too bad.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:16 AM

I also think Traverse City is your best bet. It's very close to Sleeping Bear Dunes and has more going on than the other towns which are "sleepier". Petosky and Luddington are not bad drives from there. I'm not familiar with the other towns mentioned. Mackinac Island is worth it and not that far of a drive but you better book soon for both since that's peak time for both.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:04 AM

As a former Michigander and a frequent visitor to this area of Michigan, here are my suggestions. I would NOT stay in Traverse City, unless you really like miniature golf and t-shirt shops. It is the largest city in N. Michigan, and, while it does have some really nice features, it wouldn't be my choice of places to stay. I would stay for a couple of nights in Glen Arbor (or Emprire or Leland). Much quainter, smaller towns close to the Dunes and the Lake. Lots to do and see - in the out-of-doors. I would stop in T.C. on my way north. Be sure to drive out to the end of Mission Peninsula and check out the lighthouse. The beach there is really nice too.
I would continue on stopping in Charlevoix and then using Petoskey as your next destination. Stay here for 2-3 nights. Check out Harbor Springs (beautiful, resort town) and take the Tunnel of Trees drive north along M-22 to Good Hart and then on to Cross Village. Have lunch at Legg's Inn and then go up to Wilderness State Park and enjoy the incredible beach!
If you have another extra day, head up to Mackinac Island. You could spend one night here and that would be plenty.
If you haven't been to NW Michigan you'll be awe-struck at the beauty. It has definitely gotten more crowded, but it is still gorgeous country! HAVE FUN!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I second Tomr. Traverse City is crowded and unspectacular - we always hurry right on through on our way to the Lelanau Peninsula. Leland and Glen Arbor are wonderful little towns and Glen Arbor is right at the base of the dunes. Glenn Lake is gorgeous - one of National Geographics top 10. Lake Charlevoix is also very pretty - and one of our favorite towns is Boyne City - at it's southern end. Try the Red Mesa Grill here - great Southwest inspired foods and terrific Margaritas (our favorite winter watering hole when skiing at our home base Boyne Mountain). Wilderness is my favorite Park too - they have very rustic cabins for rent, and if you're traveling the end of August, you might get lucky with some availability. Mackinac is not my favorite place - very crowded and commercialized. If you're around the second weekend in August, there is an Antique Wooden boat festival and show in Hessel, about 45 min north of the bridge on the Lake Superior shore. We go every year - old Chris Crafts galore.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:15 AM
lky
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help. Do you have any suggestions for places to stay on the Lelanau Penninsula, in Glen Arbor or Empire or Petosky or anywhere in those vicinities?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:53 AM

If you want delux you can always stay at The Homested in Glen Arbor - it is about 1 mile north of the village. Very beautiful, but kind of big and resorty. There are a number of B&Bs and small hotels that would be fine too. I once stayed at the Lakeside Motel - which is adequate and close to everything - they also have a sister hotel in Empire. Check on-line and you should be able to find stuff. Good Luck! You should hurry though, as August is a popular month up there!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Try www.leelanau.com they have all kinds of tourist info for Leelanau County. Lodging, dining, etc. I would recommend the Homestead, too. Many different accomodation options there, hotel, condo, etc.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 10:12 AM

I live in Colorado but own a house near Leland. My husband grew up in this area. I would start in Frankfort and work north. Plan to visit Glen Arbor and Leland. Avoid Traverse City - except perhaps for a visit to the old downtown. It is generally very busy. We tube down the Platt River - Sleeping Bear Dunes are great - hike to the lake and take the Pierce Stocking Drive. If you have the time to go to Mackinac (not sure how much time you have?) - you'll see Petosky on the way. My opinion, I'd stay in the "little finger" area (Leland, Suttons Bay, Northport) and not venture to Mackinac.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:29 AM

I concur with all of the above, except that I really do enjoy staying in Traverse City. If you stay in the city, make sure to make a reservation for a place on the beach (East or West Bay). I highly recommend the lovely Beach Haus hotel (includes a nice continental breakfast). Also good is the Pinestead Reef, where all units come with kitchens. Both resorts are on East Bay and you can walk out of your room and onto the beach. Again, reservations are a must.

The dining options are great in Traverse City, and actually in the entire area. I love downtown Traverse for shopping. The bike trail (called TART), which is missed by most tourists, is absolutely wonderful. There are at least two bike rental places in the area if this interests you.

My favorite place to see the beach in the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Glen Haven. Look for the Mariners Museum and drive just past it. You will see a parking lot at the end of the road. Park there, get out and walk about 1/2 mile down a trail. Rrom there, high above a cliff, you will see the beach of Lake Michigan, North & South Manitou Islands, and Grand Traverse Bay. I took my folks there on a beautiful summer day... my Mom started singing, "The Hills Are Alive..." like she was in The Sound Of Music. Truly a breathtaking place!

Favorite Traverse City Area Restaurants:
310 Restaurant, T.C.
Apache Trout, T.C.
Boone's Prime Time Pub, Sutton's Bay
The Bowery, Mission Peninsula
Bubba's, T.C. (mahi-mahi tacos to go!)
Freshwater Lodge, T.C.
Old Mission Tavern, Mission Peninsula
Omlette Shoppe, T.C. (breakfast)
Poppycocks, Downtown T.C.
Reflections Restaurant, T.C.
Rowe Inn, Ellsworth (Gourmet/Great Wines)
Sleder's Tavern, T.C. (Bar/Grill)
Tapawingo, Ellsworth (Gourmet Magazine Top 100)
Windows, T.C.

Have a blast!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Try Harris Properties in Glen Arbor for some lodging suggestions, or Lelanau Vacation Rentals, also in Glen Arbor. In Boyne City we like the Waterstreet Inn - condo units on Lake Charlevoix. The Inn at Bay Harbor is on Lake Michigan between Charlevoix and Petoskey it's gorgeous and 5 star - 1-800-go-boyne.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Tomr is totally right on! I live in Petoskey, and I would head north from TC after seeing the Dunes of course! Mid to late August will be just fine, as most of the schools start back around then and the towns will start to empty out. Right now in July is "peak" tourist time! Finding a place in Petoskey shouldn't be a problem, although I would contact the petoskey Chamber of Commerce (231) 347-4150 and they will fax you a complete list of places to stay. There a many good chain hotels in town, Best Western, Comfort Inn, etc. but for some Victorian atomosphere, I would recommend the Perry Hotel, right in downtown Petoskey, the "Gaslight District". It is a really neat downtown, very quaint and Victorian...the hotel has some rooms looking out over the bay. Also, down the road in Bayview (a little village within Petoskey) is the Bay View Inn. Very historic and quaint. If you just want a cheaper place to lay your head at night, then I would suggest Best Western on US-131, Comfort Inn on US-31 or the Apple Tree Inn or Bay Winds Inn. I think they all have pools too. But head for the Petoskey State Park for a beautiful beach...a bonus, the water may actually be warm by August! So, do the dunes, head north, stop in Charlevoix (I work there) spend lunch and an afternoon there, then onto Petoskey. Plan on a couple of days there, as you can use it as your "base". Definately do the Tunnel of Trees ride north on M-119 from US-31 through Harbor Springs (worth a shopping/ice creem stop) and try to have lunch or dinner at the Legs Inn north of Harbor Springs on the Water on M-119...it is an unusual old Polish restaurant with great views and a great authentic Polish staff! Lots of fun! Stop at Wilderness state park north of there for a beautiful beach (dogs allowed) and then you can either go on to Mackinac city for a nights stay so you can do the island. Or, just head back to Petoskey and do the Island the next day. Everyone should go there at least once in your life! It is beautiful...I like to take my bike there and bike in May or October (outside of tourist season) and go there at least once or twice every year! And yes, buy the fudge...its tradition! There is also a good broadway style show theatre in Mackinac City with a good musical show playing...great for all ages! And like I said, these towns will be emptying out mid to late August, so you should be fine. Have a great time and let me know if I can be of further help! My email is [email protected]