Search

Is Upper Michigan fun for kids?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 10:45 AM
slb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Upper Michigan fun for kids?

We were planning on taking our 7&12 year old boys on a trip to Colorado this summer, now we find out my husband may have to be in Wisconsin in August...we are now thinking of skipping Colorado this summer and doing Wisconsin Dells for a few days and then heading up to the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, I have always wanted to visit there! We like being outdoors and will be camping...we would really appreciate if some of you could let us know what are some great things to do as a family in that area. I have read about Pictured Rocks, Sault Ste. Marie, Mackinac Island. What are some other ideas. We will probably end up with 4-5 days there. I am so torn the kids really wanted to go to Colorado.
Thanks
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:51 AM

It's really good if the boys enjoy camping, outdoor sports, fishing, etc. Pictured Rocks is nice, Mackinac Island is nice but very touristy so beware!
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I live in WI and Love the UP. There are many national forests, national parks and state parks. My favorite place to camp or a few days(or a few weeks) is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, but it is on the far side of the UP and is a bit of drive if you don't have much time. One little thing, if you are a RV person Pictured rocks does not have: flush toilets, showers, running water (other than drinking fountains) or electricity, and the campgrounds are located off a DIRT road which gets messy, slippery and hard to traverse when it rains.

Closer to WI is the Porkupine Mountains State Park. Fayette State Park is also really cool, they have a ghost town (used to be an old lead production village) and it is no extra charge to walk through the village. There are so many natural areas up there that it is great for anyone who loves the outdoors.

Upper MI has a website that talks about their state parks, of course right now the URL escapes me.

PS: not to exclude WI, Copper Falls State park in Northern Wi is also a really beautiful place to stay for a night, they have a great trail around the river and the falls.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM

I take my son to the U.P. (Michigan's Upper Penninsula) every summer for a vacation. It's inexpensive, wild and lots of fun. Depending on your preferences, here are some really fun things to do there:

1. Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum on Whitefish Point just north of Paradise.

2. Canoeing down the Two Hearted River (use the Rainbow Lodge livery service). It's a bit off the beaten path, but you'll find immense beauty and unspoiled territory.

3. Taquamenon Falls (upper and lower) is a real treat. Kids can actually walk up the lower falls after a little row boat ride across the lake.

4. The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Take the boat from Munising or hike along the shore from Miner's Castle.

5. Mountain biking on Grand Island near Munising.

6. Anywhere in the Keweenaw Peninusula, especially Copper Harbor, Calumet, Eagle Harbor and the Brockway Mountain Drive. (Yes, there are mountains in Michigan.)

7. Lake of the Clouds park in the Porcupine Mountains.

8. Au Train Park on Lake Superior. Great beaches, little used.

9. Mackinac Island is fun, especially if you rent a bicycle and go around the island. The main touristy area is right in town. Beyond that, it's really quite nice. To save money, stay at the "Big Chief" Motel just east of Mackinaw City on the mainland.

Whenever you to to the U.P., bring warm clothes. It does get warm there in the summer, but sudden drops in temperature are not unheard of.

Lastly, the land in Michigan's U.P. is about 85% government-owned, making it our version of Alaska. It's a whole lot bigger than you might imagine. Strangely enough, Michigan (with both peninsulas) has more coastline than California and Florida combined. You can look it up!

Have a great trip!
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:06 PM

I have a friend who lives in a stunning house in a beautiful area of Colorado, but she still loves to go to the UP for vacations at the family's lake house. She's been enjoying this since childhood. I live in Colorado and would like to go the UP sometime. I'm assuming your kids will love it.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:12 PM

My dad took us on the boat tour through the Soo Locks it was fun. We also did Mackinac. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the UP.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I had heard of the Wisconsin Dells for years and was really looking forward to visiting the area a couple of years ago. To put it mildly, I was sorely disappointed. Any natural beauty of the area is far outshadowed by all the extremely tacky tourist attractions. The Ducks tour was the only good part. I'd spend my time elsewhere if I were you.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:23 PM

Found this website on the UP. It lists tons of attractions..

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/mich/mich.html
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Wow, you are getting pretty good information.

Let me fill in a few of the gaps...

Fayette State Park - south of US 2 between Escanaba and Manistique - has 7 miles of trails and the remains of an iron refining commmunity.

Kitch-iti-kipi - 12 miles west of Manistique - 10,000 gallons a minute fill the spring. There is a raft which you can pull to the middle and look down to the bottom (40 feet) through crystal clear water.

Cut River Bridge - US 2 in western Mackinac County - Although you could jump over the river, the bridge spaning the cut is 641 feet long. Take the trail 150 down to the river.

Grand Marais - about 40 miles east of Munising - Neat little town around a harbor, with large sand dunes just outside town.

Fort Michilimackinac - Mackinaw City - You are going to want to drive over th 5 mile long suspension bridge, so while you are over there, visit the reconstructed 18th century Fort next to the foot of the bridge. Archaeology continues and they will stop to tell you about it. Many exhibits & crafts people.

Lighthouse tours - Mackinaw City - Several days spaced across the summer, ferries from Sheppler's take half day tours of Straits area lighthouses and the Mackinac Bridge.

Lighthouse tour - Sault Ste Marie - Fewer lighthouses but this cruise on the Saint Mary's River includes the enormous Algoma Steel Mill and goes through the locks between Lakes Huron and Superior.

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. Drive over the 1 1/2 mile bridge at the Soo and show the boys another country.

Keith
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:12 PM
slb
Original Poster

WOW!!!
This is so great! I have received some great info! Thanks! Has anyone ever went on the Glass Bottomed Boat Tours to see shipwrecks? I believe it is by Whitefish Point also? Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:37 PM

Try the Wolf River rafting at Langlade,WI. Or Kayak and canoe lessons.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM

I'm from Michigan and we took our 10 & 12 yeard old boys to the UP. They LOVED it. "Battlecreek" sums it up perfectly!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Hi, We took our sons (6 and 10) on the Pictured Rocks Shipwreck tour and it was great. Lake Superior generally has a rocky bottom so the shipwrecks were very clear to see. Also the staff separated everyone in groups and would hover over the shipwreck, describing the ship, the accident and the various parts that could be identified from the wreck (even the Captain's toilet).
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I agree with laurafromtexas about the Dells. We go there every couple of years to one of the waterpark resorts -which our kids love (Kalahari & Great Wolf Lodge are fun). There is a Paul Bunyon restaurant we enjoy (family style eating - breakfast is good!). The Ducks are a novel activity. Other than that - I refuse to go "downtown" which is filled with cheap souvinier junk. We love the entire coast of western MI. You'll find lots of suggestions on prior posts from others. Look for Keith.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:00 AM

This post is nearly 4 years old..good grief man! Who dredges these things up and answers old posts??!!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM

apparently sister2 digs them up BUT

people are still interested in tips about regions even if the post were started a few years ago. Because sister2 maybe I will be doing and going to the same place this year
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM

I agree with sobolik. I was looking for info on the UP and read this "old" post.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I think sister2 is making the point that new questions or somments are usually best in a new post. People can still find the older ones when they search on the subject.

It is frustrating to see what looks like a new query, spend 15 minutes preparing an answer, and then seeing that the trip was 3 years ago.

Keith
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM

True.