UP travel - Agawa train

Search

UP travel - Agawa train

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UP travel - Agawa train

We are planning a vacation up to the UP this summer and I was wondering if a day trip on the Agawa train was worthwhile? We have three children (6,9,12), would they enjoy it? Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:07 AM

With your children's ages, stay in Ste. Saint Marie, Mich. and do the Soo Locks Boat Tour and drive to White Fish Point which is approx. 30-40 west to see the lighthouse, show, and museum where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. They won't be bored. From Whitefish Pt. drive 20mi.approx. to Tacquamen(sp?) Falls. where they can see upper and lower falls for the just paying the State Park fee. The train ride into the canyon is more for adults and would be boring for your children's ages. I'm from Upper Mich. and took my children on this iternary. Hope this helps. Places to stay at the Soo....Best Western & Holiday Inn Express.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:17 AM

Barney2002, where in the UP do you live? My family loves it there plus my son is headed to Tech in the fall.

Concerning the train trip, you only get about an hour at the falls compared with the hours of travel on the train. I second barney2002's choices. If you want to go a little further west, Grand Marais is a great spot on the eastern end of the Pictured Rocks.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:33 AM

I agree that the Agawa Canyon train ride would be too boring for most children.

Has spectacular as the Agawa Canyon ride is during the fall color, by the time it retraced the route to the Soo, I (an adult) was bored.

Suzie, the train trip to the falls is the Toonerville Trolley, and yes that is not a good way to see the falls. You have a poorer view of the upper falls and don't see the lower falls at all.

Keith
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Keith, I was refering to the Agawa trip, but the toonerville trip is just as wasteful of time.
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:22 PM

I agree with everyone. WE went on the Agawa Train and thoroughly enjoyed the beauty of the trip all the way up. BUT, coming back, the train was very quiet. Everyone was nodding off either from the tireing trip or boredom. Hard to believe that you CAN get enough of beautifl colours, and DO fall asleep on the way back. So, for kids, it would be very, very boring. Follow the other great suggestions and have a wonderful time.