Union Oyster House Boston

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Union Oyster House Boston

We visited the Union Oyster House on July 23, 2006, during a trip to Boston after having read good things about it here at Fodors. We enjoyed our meal, but when I paid the bill, I made a mistake in math and overpaid my bill. I noticed this after I got home, and I called the Union Oyster House. The employee gave me their website and told me to email what the problem was and assured me it would be taken care of. I did that, copying in the exact face of the bill.

I heard nothing and then re-sent the email a week later. I still heard nothing, and I called them again August 7. An employee again referred me to the website. I emailed them again. I still have heard nothing from them, so it looks like they are going to keep the money that I overpaid them. That is a small amount, true, but they have 3 emails from me notifying them that I made a mistake and asking them to credit my card, which they have not done.

I think that travelers planning trips to Boston should be warned to double check their math when paying, especially at the Union Oyster House, because if the travelers make a mistake in their math, the Union Oyster House will not return the extra money that they paid them.

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM

"I think that travelers planning trips to Boston should be warned to double check their math when paying"

just in boston...?

did you try calling your credit card company....
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I emailed this thread to them. I don't want them or our town to give a bad impression.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Did you overtip or did you add up the cost of the meal and tip incorrectly?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I added the cost of the meal and the tip incorrectly.

No, I didn't call the credit card company. I was assured by the employee that they would take care of this matter through email.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM

They have your credit card number so they could just do the credit thru the system, and it will show up on your statement.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

That's true, they could do that, but as of right this minute, they haven't returned my money.

As far as Boston restaurants go, the food was okay, and it was neat being in such an old restaurant, but the charm is lost when an establishment is not willing to credit a mistake in math made by a patron. There are plenty of other seafood restaurants in Boston where travelers can get similar or better seafood where management cares about the restaurant's reputation.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM

HI--what do you consider a small amount? If it is truly small, the emotional energy you have expended may be a rather high cost, comparatively.....JMO...I am not disputing your absolute right to a correct bill, but as one who can work herself up over things not worth the effort, sometimes it is good to just go with the flow, and let go....
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My husband and I usually bike to the UOH and sit at the oyster bar(we love oysters) and chat with mostly tourists.

I hope they will respond to you.
How much did you feel you gave too much?