COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Boston travelers from Midwest?

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Boston travelers from Midwest?

Hi: I need to talk to somebody from the Midwest (broadly definied) who has taken a trip to Boston in the past couple of years and gone to some historic sites. If you can talk to me about this, please let me know here, or e-mail me at mypen4hire at yahoo.com
Thanks,
Vera
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
sistahlou

Now what are you accusing us of? Messing with historical facts?

OK Columbus didn't discover America, it was always right here. And they didn't throw English Breakfast Tea into the Harbor it was Earl Grey. And Boston baked beans are not beans. And Vermont Cheddar is better than Wisconson Cheddar!

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM

For heavens sake, just go buy the Eyewitness Top 10 Boston and Access guides to Boston, and peruse the multitude of web sites for visiting Boston.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM

sistahlou,

Too funny!

Vera, there are lots of Bostonians who post here on Fodors - cigalechanta, ChinaCat, Anonymous and and Gail are just a few I can think of. Trust them, they know the area and can give you VERY good advice.

It's a beautiful and very walkable city - but I have to ask, When are you visiting?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM

I am not from Midwest so I do not meet your criteria for responding, but if you have questions, would be happy to give answers (disclaimer -I grew up in NYC area and have only lived in Boston area for 30 years and have only visited a few areas in MidWest)
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Around Boston the midwest would be considered Worcester County. Springfield is way out west.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:37 AM

I grew up in Indiana (to age 21), and I now live in Massachusetts, does that work? I go to Boston about twice a year.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Just wondering what special insights a Midwesterner (broadly defined) would be able to provide, that the rest of us cannot.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM

My theory: Vera (mypen4hire, get it?) is writing an article for Midwest Living magazine about travelling to Boston, and wants some colorful quotes.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks capxx, you are right on. Now that you Bostonians have had your fun about my supposed insults, I hope you will forgive me when you understand my purpose. I have read guides and read Fodors' notes but I would like quotes from travelers rather than residents. And since the editor wants to know they are really people whom I am quoting, I can't just take guidebooks or fodor's posts for my quotes. So, once again, if anyone can help, please e-mail me at mypen4hire at yahoo.com
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Guess as a born and brought up Bostonian that my accounts of traveling in Boston don't help...Okay.. get info from a non-Bostonian .end up at tourist traps..miss the "fun parts" of Boston, go to touristy restaurants..eat at McDonalds...buy $100.00 tickets for a play when we willtell you of great bargains in theatre for abut $30.00... Gail..don't you just love this post..lol
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Wow, I even got the magazine right? I'm psychic!

Mom, relax -- she's not looking for tips, she's looking for quotes, like ``Boy howdy they sure talk funny in Boston.''
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM

"US Nor'Dakoda folk drank a lot of pop. We were right pleased. Yah, y'betcha"
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Now it all makes a certain amount of sense - except the part about the editors wanting quotes from real people. That lets most of us out - since everyone here is, as my kids say, my imaginary friends.

Good luck with the article - and what impressions Midwesterners have of my adopted city might be interesting - so if you can share any here (limitations of copyrights understood) it might be enlightening.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
sistahlou

what is a traveler if not a resident? as resident travellers, I and others are quite quotable!!!!

Daaaang, that there duck tour sure wuz fuuuuun!

Although it was clearly not your intent, the premise does seem a tad insulting and a far cry from how I educate myself and prepare my travels. Perhaps a reconsideration of your intent is in order.

Best wishes on your endeavors.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Vera, still not quite sure what you want, but I am from the midwest--lived there till age 23 and even went to one of the well-known Big Ten universities--and subsequently have lived in the Boston area for >30 years....does that qualify me to answer your question??
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Well, you could talk about the heavy traffic day in and day out..the peope crossing against the lights (jaywalking)....as somebody told me... she was surprised we didnt' have grafitti on our buildings and Boston was clean.. The crazy streets that were cowpaths that lead up to the Boston Common.. We don't call a carbonated drink "pop" or "sodaquot; but tonic..
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Here's a quote - I walked around town with my Peyton Manning jersey on and got the rudest looks and gestures.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes, both socialworker and capxx you would qualify, but I need to contact you directly, so can you either give me an e-mail address, or e-mail me at the address I mentioned above.

Boy, you guys are TOUGH! I had no idea people would get so touchy. I am a long time Fodors users who has depended on help on both foreign and domestic trips and try to pay back with trip reports and postings.(You can click on my name) I thought this would be a good place to find inciteful travelers.

It is not MY idea to limit the quotes to Midwesterners. It is just that editors want quotes from the people who tend to read their magazines. AND by "real people" I also did not mean to insult anyone--again that is a characterization by editors. There are so many phony quotes made up--even whole stories--that they want to be sure they are printing real stuff. Also, they prefer travelers to P. R. people or somebody representing the Chamber of Commerce.
I really did not mean to take up so much bandwidth explaining all this, but Parrot Mom insists on making me sound like some kind of ogre, so I'm trying to clarify.
Parrot Mom, rest assured, I have been to Boston myself, and I have thoroughly researched. It is not uninformed information I am looking for, but the reactions of people who have gone there. And they will be positive reactions, because nobody is particularly interested in reading somebody's complaints about -- well if I give an example of a negative, you'll think I'm accusing Boston of having some bad trait, so I'll just leave it there.
Boston is a wonderful place or I would not be writing about it.

Vera
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
sistahlou

I am not TOUGH or TOUCHY, well only with other K9's. I am humorous and sarcastic and funny, and often misinterpretted.

Lighten up Vera! That any of us would bother responding says something. Not sure what, but it does say something!

You have not really listened to any of us. I only speak for myself when I say that your assignment is curious. If I thought I could help you I might, but I think your editors vision is questionable.

Br not offended by our laughter and good intentions. Listen, maybe learn something and move on to future endeavors.

Best Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO