Udvar-Hazy Visit and Luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this has been asked in the past but would like to know if anyone has found the answer. We have a layover at Dulles and want to visit the museum. We will have our carry-ons with us. Has anyone else visited the museum with their carry-on luggage? Did you find a place to store them while visiting? I would rather not check the luggage nor do I want to rent a car. Any ideas? experiences? Thanks
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I believe that you can leave the carry-on luggage in a check room at the museum while you are there. There are no facilities for storing luggage at the airport itself.

You might want to check with the museum itself: 202/633-1000 (this is the Smithsonian's general phone number and not specifically the one for the Udvar-Hazy).

Also, please note that the only ways to get to the museum (5 miles from the airport exit) are by car, taxi, or the shuttle from DC.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Just to let everyone know. I did contact the museum and they have just opened a place where you can check carry-on size luggage. Also, there is now a shuttle that will run between dulles and Udvar-Hazy. I received the following information regarding times for those of you that have a layover at Dulles.

VRTA will do its first pick up at IAD at 10:30 it will get to the Air and Space at 10:45am. If you were to leave the Air and Space at 10:45 am you would be back at IAD at 11. The pick up times from IAD are 10:30, 11:15, 12, 12:45, 1:30, 2:15, 3pm, 3:45, 4:30, and lastly 5:15pm. The bus will leave the Air and Space to return to IAD at 10:45, 11:30, 12:15, 1, 1:45, 2:30, 3:15, 4, 4:45, and lastly at 5:30 when the museum closes.

Hope this helps. I will be trying this out on Friday.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Vcrew - thank you. I work as a volunteer at Dulles (and was even there this morning), and we had no information about the shuttle. None of the relevant sites have been updated with this information, even the VRTA site.

I'll have to save the information and provide it to the other volunteers. By the way, in case the information has not been provided by Friday and the volunteers don't know where to catch the bus, you probably need to go to curb 2E.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Travel_Fan, it is now showing on the Udvar-Hazy website. Look under planning your visit and then transportation. It starts this Wednesday 7/12. I will be there on Friday, talk about timing

The VRTA consumer affairs rep was the one that provided me the hours.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the update, vcrew That will help a lot of people.

I often check my bags and just leave them until I want them. I carry nothing that cannot be replaced nor would losing my luggage be devestating (altho I would not like it) but I've done that at several airports with no problems yet.