Luggage on the Hop on Hop Off Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be getting to Kings Cross, from York at around noon and I wondered if it would be possible to get on one of the bus tours at the Brithish Library and take it to the British Museum. We are staying at the Morgan. We(3 of us) will each have a 22" carry on bag. We could then continue the tour and use the balance of the 24 hours the next morning. Just a thought.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Most of those hop on/off bus tours are for a 24 hour period so you can continue on the next day. I didn't notice anyone on the bus with luggage.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:35 AM

You should first check with the tour company as to whether they allow bags, I could see them having a problem with it due to security concerns. The busses are like public street buses, so there are no luggage areas. Assuming you don't want to lug the bags upstairs, you would want to sit downstairs. Like most double deckers, the downstairs is small and cramped with narrow aisles, so your fellow passengers may not appreciate bags in the aisle, and as people get off via the back door and come downstairs in that area as well, you should try to get into the far back of the bus so you don't inconvenience anyone.

The British Museum will not allow you to take anything larger than 39cm x 33cm x 13 cm into the galleries, so you will have to check the bags. According to the website for the British Museum. "some limited provision for storage of these items will be available at the North Entrance Cloakroom accessed via Montague PlaceAgain. (This is the back entrance to the Museum, I believe the buses drop you at the Russell Street entrance, so you will have to walk around the Museum.) If others are there ahead of you, you could have a problem checking the bags. Website is thebritishmuseum.ac.uk
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM

SueBee,
I'm not sure what your questions are. Are the hop on/off buses good for 24 hours? - Yes. Can you get on with a carry on bag? - Probably. I got on with a large back-pack which was not a problem. Can you board at The British Library and get off at the British Museum? - Maybe. There are two problems. 1) The main tours start at Picadilly Square. The buses that go to the British Museum are more like shuttles that take you to the Picadilly stop where you have to get off and on to another bus for the main tour. Also these shuttles stop running around 3:45PM. 2)I'm pretty sure that the shuttle loop goes from Picadilly to the British Library and to the British Museum not vice versa, in which case your plan would work.
I'm assuming that you intend to get off at BM and go directly to the Morgan (which is right around the corner)check-in and then visit the British Museum. Right?
JoeG
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Now that I look at it, I'm not sure why I thought this was a good plan. It is time for this trip to happen as I am now over planning and trying to micro manage. It may be that this is the only day I can see availabe for one of the bus tours, which my daughter would like. It is also the day I had on the schedule for the British Museum and the British Library. Both of those should more than fill the day so I think we will just go straight to the Morgan via tube or taxi and then to the Museum. It will be on Tuesday so the Library will be open late.

Thanks for the info though.

Sue