Search

Uber West Coast Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uber West Coast Trip

Hi all!

I'm planning a (very aggressive) trip down the entire West Coast in May. Would love some suggestions on scenic routes/stops for the various segments.

Note: I recognize this route sounds crazy to some people. A lot of hours in the car, little time to soak up all the amazingness of the coast and cities... But I have limited time/money, multiple people's schedules to coordinate around, and I've visited all the cities along the route/done the PCH, so this isn't entirely a first time visit. Also, the "stunt" aspect of the trip is kind of a fun challenge to me That said, if any of this is insane like 14 hours of driving in one day, please let me know!

Vancouver > Mexico
May 19 - May 30

Day 1: Arrive late in Vancouver
Day 2: Vancouver
Day 3: Vancouver > Seattle via morning train
Day 4: Seattle > Portland via MegaBus
Day 5: Portland
Day 6: Portland > Crater Lake > Crystal City, CA
*If Crater Lake is snowed in, can take coastal route to Crystal City
**Is the straight shot from PDX to Crater Lake scenic at all?
Day 7: Crystal City > Point Reyes, via Redwood NP, Ft Bragg, Mendocino
Day 8: Point Reyes > San Francisco
Day 9: San Francisco > Oxnard via PCH
Day 10: Channel Islands day trip, then to LA (stay near LAX)
Day 11: LA > San Diego via Coast
Day 12: San Diego > Ensenada, MX, then late flight home from SD

Any words of wisdom are appreciated! As are car rental tips for a big one-way like this one (I'd be picking up in Portland, dropping off in San Diego).

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 03:59 PM

I can't help with the details of the time on the road but can tell you:

Expect a significant drop of charge for the car rental since the cities are so far apart

You cannot take any rental car into Mexico - if you do you will void the insurance - how do you plan to get there?
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:01 PM

I think you mean Crescent City, Ca? I'd cut Crater Lake entirely. That's...maybe 8 hours? But I think it's more, as Google map always seems to lie about the coast and Crater Lake. But bottom line is that I think Crater Lake is just too much of a risk weather wise for such a detour.

If you haven't driven PCH before, I'd break up day 9 into 2 days. It seems a waste to zip down it- and it would be a really long day. Even on a good day.

I know you see this as an extreme trip...but I'm failing to see the fun lol.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Oh, and I would fly into Portland. The portion from Vancouver to Portland seems relatively pointless to me.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:44 PM

Over the past eleven years I've read scores of itineraries on this forum, but seldom one as ill-conceived as the one proposed here.

What are the top three places you hope to visit on your proposed trip?

HTtY
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

@marvelousmouse - yes, my bad, Crescent City, CA. Getting a lot of feedback that cutting Crater Lake is the way to go, and just doing the coast. I have done the PCH a few times before, which is why I'm shortchanging it here. LOVE the drive so am trying to avoid the freeway if I can avoid it, but don't need a lot of time for all the stops. Vancouver/Seattle are to see friends (a big point of this trip is to stop by friends/fam in Van, Sea, Portland, SF, and SD).

@nytraveler - fair point about the Mexico insurance; I'll be with friends from San Diego at that point in their car; not a rental. That said, I'm hearing that the trip all the way to Ensenada might be too much with border times, even with a late flight. So might opt for a closer spot across the border.

@htty - wow, what an accomplishment for me! I'm a writer, so in addition to visiting friends this trip will be a challenge for a good travel stunt story.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Then all I've got to say is that based on my experience...you need a full day (2 nights) in Seattle just in case of travel delays. And a full day in SF to recharge and visit family.

Have you considered just taking the train? You'd avoid the freeways, it'd be less stressful, and I'm going to assume less expensive. You said you've done PCH previously and the other major scenic part is the Oregon coast- redwoods- which you will pretty much just drive through anyway.

And I'd still build in an extra day for pch just in case of foul weather or delays of another kind. Good luck!
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Only the south entrance of Crater Lake NP is open. Parts of the park have over 100" of snow now.
Just fly to Portland and head west on US 26 to the coast and head south on US 101.
Ranger led snowshoe hikes will continue at Crater Lake every Saturday through at least April.
Since you are open to using Amtrak trains, you could return the Portland rental car after seeing a lot of the Oregon Coast and then take the Coast Starlight south to Sacramento and rent another car from there. At least your rental car return would be in California.
Do not take a rental car into Mexico. Walk across the border into Tijuana if you must.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 06:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
PDX > south entrance Crater Lake > Crescent City is about a 10 hour drive w/o a single stop.

Crescent City > Redwood NP > Ft Bragg > Mendocino > Pt Reyes Station = about 9 hours (no stops)

SF > Oxnard via hwy 1 = about 9 hours (no stops)

Just nuts . . .
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:01 PM

this trip will be a challenge for a good travel stunt story

If you're going for Nellie Bly, your itinerary isn't going to cut the mustard.

HTtY
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:08 PM

a big point of this trip is to stop by friends/fam in Van, Sea, Portland, SF, and SD

This is a worthy goal, but it doesn't come through in your original post. Don't lose your focus.

HTtY
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 11:59 AM

You may have done PCH and other places before, but what about the folks with you? Have they also traveled this route via car?
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:56 PM

I don't think he's got passengers until San Diego, Jamie, but I could be wrong.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 04:37 PM

My advice is to plan a day in the middle for a massage. Your b**t will be numb.