COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Oregon best coastal stops

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Oregon best coastal stops

After 4 nites in Portland (with day trips) we thought of staying at some of the inns along the coast....Cannon Beach (Stephanie Inn)....Yachats....and/or Gold Beach...then to Ashland and on to 2 nites at Crater Lake Lodge and back up towards Portland ( where to stay between Crater Lake & Portland. We have a total of 2 weeks and are planning our trip on the reservations we have booked at CL.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM

you might check out the Channel House in Depoe Bay or their new property Whale Cove Inn

some of the rooms have hot tubs on the deck overlooking the ocean

http://www.channelhouse.com/
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM

If I understand your post correctly, you'll be visiting the coast on the way down to Crater Lake? If so, why don't you consider continuing over the Crater Lake Highway to Central Oregon? You could stay at Sunriver, just south of Bend-2 hours from Crater Lake. It might be a nice change from the coast, especially if the coastal weather is not good. It's another 3 hours from Sunriver to Portland.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM

If you have the time and the budget, 2 nights at the Stephanie, followed by a night at the Overleaf in Yachats and 2 nights at Tu Tu Tun Lodge in Gold Beach would be a fantastic coatal trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM

If you can get reservations as NWWanderer has advised, book 'em!! Those are perhaps the three best lodgings on the entire coast. And that would pretty much fill out your two weeks. The stop between Crater Lake and Portland that makes the most sense is the Bend area, but you haven't time to do that justice. So, plan to drive directly to Portland from Crater Lake; it's only about 5 hours. And if in finalizing your itinerary, you find you've got an extra night, add it to Yachats.

That all said, if you're planning this trip for next month, and don't yet have any reservations except at Crater Lake, good luck!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions...was able to book the Stephanie Inn for 2 nites and the Overleaf Lodge for 2 nites,,,couldn't get into the Tu Tu Tun Lodge tho...still working on it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM

Lucky you at the Stephanie Inn, try to have a meal at their restaurant there, it's great! We'll be back in the area soon. ***kim***
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Dinner reservations are already made...looking forward to it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM

You'll love it! Newman's @ 988 is also very good. ***kim***
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM

What is it that you like so much about dinner at Stephanie Inn, kimamom? And why do you suppose John Newman left to open his own restaurant? I much prefer the varied menu of Newman's @ 988 to the fixed menu at Stephanie Inn. And the food is every bit as good or better too, not to mention the relaxed, casual elegance of Newman's as compared to the stuffy Stephanie Inn.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

we will be dining in both places.....one nite at the inn and the other at Newmans. Couldn't get into Tu Tu Tun Lodge...from Yachats ( 2 nites) decided to go to Ashland and "brush up our Shakespeare"....on to 2 nites in CL and then 2 nites in Bend and back to Portland overnite and home. We have 15 day to enjoy the sites and some mild hiking(very mild). My husband & I are late 60's early 70's ( he's the early 70's..LOL)

Thanx for all your suggestions....if you have any more, I'm still here.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM

nakra, while you are in Portland you may want to consider a meal at Lucier, a gorgeous new waterfront resaurant in Portland. We enjoyed over 2 hours of fine dining in this beautiful restaurant last night. Any questions, feel free to ask! ***kim**
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Our meal this past Sat. night at Stephanie Inn was amazing, we started with the Caesar Salad with shaved parmesan, creamy garlic dressing and white anchovies, followed by the Savory Seafood Chowder which was excellent, my entree was the Halibut Fillet with organic arugula, snow peas and peach salsa, yummy! For dessert the Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake was rich and decadant with berry sauce, pistachios and crushed toffee.

This place is amazing, the ambiance is very romantic and the service never missed a beat. A true "gem" on the Oregon Coast! ***kim***
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Okay, I'd like to ask a question...although I am betting that I will not receive a response.

What did you have at Lucier, kim. You have posted on several boards that you ate there, yet it is the only place that you have not expounded on the experience. Do tell.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM

You must have missed the Lucier review on TA, PDXWineaux, complete with 13 photos.... b-(

I'm wondering how many times you're gonna "review" your Stephanie Inn meal, kimamom. This has to be at least the third you've reviewed your dinner there. Makes me think you might actually have gone!!! ;-) Still, "the ambiance is very romantic" makes me wonder. How'd you like that view of the parking lot?
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM

marking page
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM

beachbum, it would be a moot point now wouldn't it since Lucier closed. Guess all that fabulousness came at too high a price..