Search

The Oregon College Trail -- from SF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Oregon College Trail -- from SF

Hi all,
The plan is to drive up from LA, stopping for tours at colleges & universities between L.A. and Portland this summer (August) with the hope of our son finding that "perfect" place that he falls in love with and will not totally break the parent bank.

Once we're past San Francisco, the parents are pretty much out of their "comfort zone" in terms of area familiarity, although I drove up to Eugene & back years ago during my own college days.

Knowing the purpose, and also knowing that when we head down from Oregon, we have our yearly reservations in Yosemite before heading back to L.A., please critique my quickly put together road trip -- let me know if it's feasible, silly, good, difficult, whatever.

Day 1: San Francisco to Ashland, with a stop at UC Davis & Sacramento. Split up into 2 days? If not, spend the night in Ashland.

Day 2 - 3: Visit SOU, then travel to Eugene. 2 nights in Eugene, visit Univ. Oregon and friends.

Day 4 - 6: Travel from Eugene to Portland, with a stop in Corvallis to visit OSU. Nights 4, 5, 6 in Portland, visiting more friends and a couple of private colleges.

Day 7: Portland to Bend; spend night in Bend & visit guitar factory if possible. (Surfergirl loves guitars!).

Day 8: Bend to Crater Lake (son likes craters, what can I say? Looks pretty cool too). Place to stay there? Near there?

Day 9: Long haul from Crater Lake to Lake Tahoe. Possible to break up anywhere into two stages? Necessary? Easier to travel from CL straight to Yosemite? Only reason to go to Lake Tahoe is for husband to visit an old school friend, female, married 3 times, no great loss if we miss this.

Day 10: Lake Tahoe to Yosemite. Once back in Yosemite, we're back in the area comfort zone!

Any changes, tips, greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I commented on your other post, but will add my $.02 here, too.

San Francisco to Ashland is a less than 6 hour drive, but if you're going to see any of Sacramento, split it into two days. The question would be where to spend the night. Personally, I'd either plan to spend it in Sacto, or head north and look for a place when you're tired. Except maybe for a place like Shasta, it's hard to imagine that you couldn't find a motel with a vacancy in any town along that route.

Ashland to Eugene is a little over two hours; piece of cake. Eugene to Corvallis is about an hour, and Corvallis to Portland 1.5 hours; another piece of cake.

Portland to Bend to Crater Lake is also reasonable as planned, but lodging around Crater Lake is scarce. The Lodge will be booked for sure, but you could put the number on speed-dial and continually call for cancellations. Or check the motel in Mazama Village, the only other in-park, non-camping lodging. We stayed there on a road trip last summer. One night was enough. Failing that, there's an historic hotel in Prospect, south of the lake towards Medford, which is probably as good a route as any for the next leg to Tahoe.

As you know, Crater Lake to Tahoe is the longest leg, I'm guessing 7.5 hours. Maybe this is the time to split it up, and spend the night in a place like Shasta.

Have fun! Looks like your son will have a WIDE range of schools from which to choose.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM

I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK! We did a similar trip a few years back when we lived on Kauai....flew to CA, started in San Diego, and worked our way up to Portland, stopping at over a dozen colleges. It became a bit mind-numbing, alas. Daughter put her foot down and wouldn't even get out of the car at Humboldt, LOL. After this grueling trip and many mainland acceptances she went to the University of Hawaii anyway, sigh. But the silver lining was that her little brother, who was grudgingly along for the 10 day ride, fell in love with Univ of Oregon and is now a senior there and loving it!

I would not do Davis/Sacramento and drive to Ashland all in the same day. Davis is very cute, you might want to spend the night there after visiting Sac. Ashland could be a stop between Davis and Eugene; SOU is a small campus, easy to see as is everything in Ashland.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From Surfergirl's other thread - the whole point of Sacramento was to visit Davis. So a stop in Davis and then Rd. 113 north to I-5 avoiding Sacramento's nasty traffic makes more sense.

The lodge at Crater Lake books up waaaay ahead so you may be better off just viewing the Lake and then moving on into NE CA.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Oooh, thanks. I checked out the Crater Lake Lodge last night and FOUND SPACE!!!! Yes, of course I booked it. Sounds a lot like trying to get into the Ahwahnee in summer.

Vivi -- I suspect my son will have the same reaction to University of Oregon -- I personally think it will be perfect for him, but it's not my decision. Tell me more about what your son likes about it -- I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM

A tip for you as you made reference to the "parent bank" - are you aware of the WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) program, where students can attend a school in a neighboring state for 150% of INSTATE tuition. I notice that CA is now in the mix for that. Our daughter (WA State resident) attended SOU on a WUE exchange (and fortunately two merit scholarships) which saved a boatload of $$$. Many of the colleges (I know this is true for SOU) have info regarding the WUE on their website. Have fun! We are flying to Medford today to see ours graduate tomorrow morning - YEEHHHAWWW
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Our son attended Univ of Oregon as a WUE student since we were from Hawaii. He paid instate tuition plus 50% which is a huge savings from out of state fees. . Alas, when we moved to CA in his junior year I felt it was the right thing to do to inform the WUE office of our relocation and unfortunately he lost his eligibility. (CA has minimum participation in WUE.)

WUE is really a great deal. But it is complicated as each school has diferent WUE requirements; some take all-comers, some take just certain majors. When my son applied to UO they had 200 WUE applicants but could only take 40; luckily he got one of the spots.

Univ of Oregon attracted my son because it is a gorgeous campus, very collegiate; Eugene is a comfortable town. The program he wanted is very strong there. Plus there are over 300 kids from Hawaii in attendance with an active Hawaii Club. UO even came to Honolulu for an orientation/registration day!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
In Eugene, see if you can find one of the (now collectable? Want to buy mine?) sweatshirts with "University of California at Eugene" on them.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Heads up about Eugene- just heard on the news about the problem with bike theft at the U of O -
One poor kid had 3 bikes stollen even though they were locked - so is now moving off campus.
Am sure that would not influence choice of school but good to know not to invest in an expensive bike
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo -- I will pay big bucks for that sweatshirt!

Thanks about the WUE -- I was watching and waiting for that to happen and am SO EXCITED CA is finally part of it -- I'm strongly pointing out the majors he can take to take advantage of that. I'll have to figure out how to get into the program, it has a few twists and turns.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Sunbum---bike theft can happen on any college campus; my kids lost several at Stanford before they started riding cheap bikes to class and keeping their good bikes locked in the dorm room.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM

If you're into seeing campuses, why not stop off in Chico in-between Crater Lake and Girl Friend?

Dine downtown or at the Sierra Brewing Company. Stay at the Courtyard or Residence Inn. Very nice little town.

Just a suggestion.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Surfergirl- definitely pursue the WUE route, tho it is frustrating as each campus has different requirements.

UO still does not take CA residents, neither does OSU. But SOE and PSU have opened up WUE admission to CA residents.

(And dont forget the University of Hawaii which takes CA WUE students!)

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:49 AM
GP

Hi Surfergirl

I can comment on Day 8. Having in-laws in the Bend area We have been driving this section of road several times a year for about 15 years. On the day from Bend to Crater Lake you have some options. You can take 97 south. The High Desert Museum and Lava Lands visitor centers are good stops. If son likes craters he would enjoy Lava Lands. You might want to take Century Drive west out of Bend. You can take this road in a 80 mile semi-loop and end up in Crescent, 47 miles below Bend and on 97. It adds time but It is a very pretty drive. If we are not in a hurry we would drive Century Drive. I know a few years ago the lift at Mt Bachelor's was running and you could take it to the top. If they are still doing that your son could be on top of a crater. Outstanding view from up there. On this route there are numerous lakes with picnic grounds. If we are up there in the fall we alwaysalways take this route. I can be more specific if you like.

Have Fun
GP
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Chico -- I was thinking that too. Thanks for the tip. What is "Girl Friend" stand for?!?

Vivi I was thinking Hawaii, but every time we plan a trip there, something weird happens and we can't go, so as unsuperstitious as I am, I am starting to think there's a force out there beyond my control!

GP, thanks for the insight, I'll check out the roads using my latest edition AAA map. Just curious, what is Bend like?

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Bend has grown and changed a lot lately---seems like everyone wants a vacation home there, and the town is afflicted with sprawl. But the "old town" area of downtown is nice---shops, restaurants, brewpubs, etc. I think most people who go there to ski stay outside Bend at one of the resorts like Sunriver.

The area has a lot to offer in the way of recreation---skiiing, hiking, mountain biking, golf, rafting, etc. And great weather, if you don't mind hot summers.

A couple of things your son might like there are: Lave Butte (you can drive to the top and hike around the rim of the crater), and the Lave Cave, a long and very cool (literally) lava cave.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Surfergirl: sorry for my weird sense of humor.

Thought you mentioned somewhere that after Crater Lake, there was a "Girl Friend" who lives in the next destination.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Beachbum drives a lot faster than me as it takes a little over 3 hours for me to make it from The RV to Eugene.
I am still of the opinion you should drive straight to Ashland from SF, and hit Chico and Davis on the way back down from Bend to Yosemite.
The only trouble with Bend is it Doesn't have a State U, and is getting a second Campus of OSU
instead of B.U.
It and Medford/RV are the fastest growing areas in Oregon.
Love that Sunshine!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Chico use to have quite a "party reputation" Surfergirl and in that I haven't kept on on colleges & universities I am not sure if it still does. But I just heard the other day that a young man whom I know through the family is no longer at Chico as although he did great in HS he enrolled in Chico and only lasted so many months. The problems I was told was all the parties and the drinking.
Of course each young person handles their enviroment differently as we all know. But if Chico was a consideration I would sure carefully check it out. Best regards to you and your son as he ventures into a new beginning in his life.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM
GP

Hi Surfergirl.

My in-laws live up in the Sisters area so I just past through Bend. So I can not tell you much. The one thing I can tell you that the growth there in the last 15 years has be rapid to say the least.

Have Fun
GP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -