U.S. High School for Immigrant students

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys I need help with the topic above, first of all I'm from Mexico and my grilfriend went to live to the U.S. she's an american citizen as well, obviously as her mother is. And the thing is that her mother invited me to go with them to study for 1 year in high school, and I have been asking the consulate and the high school that is in the district where my girlfriend is going to school to tell me how can I get an acceptance letter from the school because it is a requirement for the student visa and all they do is transfer me to another person. I am enrolled in a private school that is a U.S. high school program here in Mexico so I don't think that the credits or my English level will matter, thank you in advance, I really hope that you can help me.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 03:54 PM

This is a travel forum. We really aren't experts on getting admitted to an American High School. I think you area on the right track, contacting the Consulate and the High school. Stick with official sources.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Your girlfriend's mother would have to go to the high school and register both of you in the school in her district. To do so she would need to prove she is a legal resident there wither via proof of mortgage payments or an apartment lease. She would also need to guarantee that she would support you for the time you are there.

If you don;t live in the district you are not qualified to attend local schools - but would have to enroll in a very expensive private school. But you would still need the info on the mother's residence and her willingness to support you.

If your GFs mother is an american citizen but doesn't live in the US - then I don't think this is going to work.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

My girlfriend's mother is an american citizen and obviously lives in the U.S. but I think the registration week is in the last week of July and I will not have time to get my student visa
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

She also has her proof of residency, the high school is literally in front of her apartment, and my girlfriend is already enrolled
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 04:52 AM

This is probably further complicated by the fact that each school district has its own residency and admittance requirements.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 05:04 AM

May be an obvious question, but have you googled your girlfriend's school district? They might have a page detailing how you can apply. That letter you need is different from registration- I'm assuming the school can write you the letter if you can prove under their rules that you're eligible. Some districts have caps on how many students they will take and it's likely that you would have to take some kind of English proficiency test and/or provide your transcript, even though you go to an American international school.

And alternatively, you could enroll in a private school in your girlfriend's town as I'm assuming your family has the money to pay your tuition.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 06:51 AM

"registration week is in the last week of July and I will not have time to get my student visa"

...so you will not be able to enroll unless you come into the US on a tourist visa (supposing you can get one) and overstay it or cross the border illegally, at which point you would be breaking US law.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 09:31 AM

Most students who come to the US on a student visa are college students, not high school students. Children don't usually immigrate to the US alone, so our high schools aren't set up to formally "accept" foreign students needing to apply for a student visa. If you immigrate to the US through other means, then you are eligible to attend the local high school. The common exceptions are for student exchange programs and boarding school. High schools will work with high schools in other countries for temporary student exchange - students get accepted into the program, are matched up with a host family and spend up to a year in their host country, going to the local high school, etc. With boarding school, those are private schools and they have their own admissions requirements and those who accept foreign students have a process set up to help students with their visas.

So, if you want to move to the US to live with your girlfriend and her mother, you need to find another avenue through the immigration system.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Something that occured to me/to add to November moon's post: I am not sure you'd be allowed to enter the country even if you secured a student visa. Without a formal exchange program to back you up, I think it's going to look strange to border officers when you tell them who you are living with. The first thing they ask you is do you know anyone. they may think you have every intention of overstayin your visa in order to be with your girlfriend. Heck, I'd be suspicious and wonder why your parents are allowing you to go and I am generally not a suspicious person...
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Does anyone speculating here have the slightest idea about what it takes to get a student visa? Anyone even know what an I-20 is? Do some research before spouting any more non sense, please. The kid is confused enough as it is.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM

"Does anyone speculating here have the slightest idea about what it takes to get a student visa? Anyone even know what an I-20 is?"

Yes, and yes.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM

Yes and yes. But it's less the paperwork here and the student's specific circumstances. First he's got to be accepted at that school if he really wants to go there specifically...and it's sheer speculation anyway on our parts as we have no idea what district his girlfriend lives in. Or even his budget. Or even his parents. There's no mention of them at all and I'd assume that they be the ones who have to speak to the consulate and whatnot as he's a dependent. Or his endgame, really. Like, I don't get the sense that this is a cultural experience- it's all about being with his girlfriend- so what are his plans at the end of the year? He's limited to one year at a public school no matter what visa he has, I believe.

Anyway...fun speculation is the only point of these type of threads because we have no magic 8 ball and for all we know, this could be a pipe dream that he hasn't even talked to his parents about.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have already called to the school district and they transfered me to the specific high school that I will, hypothetically attending, but neither the school district nor the high school have solution to the problem, they said that I needed to call to the consulate and the consulate said that I needed to call the high school, so it is a complete mess. I don't think that every immigrant student in a U.S. high school goes by means of a student exchange program, actually in the enrollment form of the high school in the section of Parent Language Questionnaire there's a question that asks if I'm in an exchange student program, the answer should be yes or no, also in another section, Migrant Education Program more specifically, what I have to fill in is just my name, the name and address of my legal guardian, and nothing about an exchange program, also in the web page of Homeland Security there's a school search map of schools that are SEVP- certified schools that means that they can enroll f-1(type of student visa) students.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Clearly, a travel board is not the place to ask for advice about non-standard student visa issues. If the school and the consulate have no idea what you should do, then my next step would be to contact an immigration lawyer and get advice.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 03:34 PM

So you know for sure your school is Sevis? If so, you need to figure out who in the district handles that stuff. Or get your girlfriend's mom to do it- since she's on location, and an adult, she's way more likely to find out than you are. And according to homeland security, the consulate is correct. The school needs to get the ball rolling by entering you into the Sevis database and then sending you the I20 form. That's part of the documentation the gov requires for the visa interview. There may be other stuff- like proof of money as you can't attend public school for free as an international student. And you have to show that you have money for housing. And evidence that you intend to depart at the end of the year, although I've got no idea how you prove that.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

No, is not a pipe dream, I have the authorization of my parents, is not a "cultural experience" is more an actual educational experience, I think that you can renew your visa if you have a good gpa, and you are already accepted in a college (I'm in 11th grade) or in other cases in a high shcool
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

And if you are*
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Okay. So I'm assuming you do have the funds for high school and college in the US? Because, yes, you can renew the visa to go to college, but you can't get aid, and you won't qualify as an in state student. So that sounds like an exceptionally expensive way to get a college degree.

I still think your main stumbling block is proving that you're going to return if your visa renewal is denied. If college is your goal- I agree, you and your parents need to talk to an immigration lawyer. Because you can't lie to them and your living situation is possibly going to raise some red flags.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Marvelousmouse's last post is very clear. And the school will definitely respond differently to a parent who lives in its district than to an unknown random person from another country.

The best way is to have your girlfriend's mother contact the school (preferably in person). Many high schools do have 1 or more foreign exchange students a year, so someone in the school should know the process.

Before she contacts the school, make sure she understands enough to explain to the school secretary who may have never had to deal with the issue.
1. who she is, who you are, and why she wants to have you live with her and go to school there ... and that it's temporary ... and likely, if asked, that she'll be responsible for you and your support
2. That the school needs to get you entered into the Servis database to begin the federal visa process, and then to send the I20 form to her or you.

After that, there will likely be a bunch of separate hoops you have to go through with.

Both you and your girlfriend's mother should make yourself familiar with the applicable rules at https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...c-schools.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -