Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

U.S. cities comparable to Bath,Bristol in U.K.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:39 AM
montieth

What U.S. cities are most like Bath Bristol in the UK? Lots of cloudy days, smallish cities but compact, lots of fish, history but not too commercial or bustling? We visited those cities in England and really liked the area. We wanted to know if there are comparable cities in the United States we could visit.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:22 AM
db

From a brit - I found Boston and San Fransisco had an 'english' flavour about them! and to top it off San Fran was freezing! definitely brit weather

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jen

I've never heard anyone say they liked Bristol.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:28 AM
John

In architectural terms, the Georgian style of Bath has plenty of contemporary places in the US - Georgetown (Washington DC), a number of towns in New England, parts of Philadelphia, to name a few. In terms of scale, and also comparable (a little) to Bristol in terms of maritime setting, you might consider Portsmouth NH as a twofer - plenty of great colonial (mainly Georgian) architecture, strong seafaring past, good manageable size, fun to visit. Annapolis MD also comes to mind, as do Savannah and Charleston.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:34 AM
MaryAnne

I like Bristol, England a lot. I have been about 4-5 times. What Bristol is not to like Jen? Are you feeling defensive because someone wants a comparison to a non-American city?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Les

Another vote for Bristol! Great place.
Dining at Harvey's also great.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Jen

MaryAnne, are you insane? What are you talking about? I'm not American. And I've visited Bristol a couple of times, as friends used to live there. Just didn't think it was a very nice city (and neither did they).

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:54 PM
xxxx

she's defensive alright calm down Jen

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Elizabeth

I barely know Bath and don't know Bristol, but maybe others who do can comment on these suggestions--what about Newport (am thinking of Bath here)?

Then--Brits usually like Gloucester and the other towns on the coast north of Boston, though I doubt they're like Bath and Bristol--but they are historical fishing towns, not modernized, with real character and definitely lots of fish.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:37 PM
kam

Not quite sure what we're looking for here, but how about Charleson, Georgetown, Annapolis, Providence or some places in Maine? I actually find Bath to be quite commercial compared to other places I've been in the UK.