Is anyone in San Diego right now?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Sheila

Is anyone in San Diego right now?

My family is leaving for San Diego this Saturday. It looks like the weather is kind of cool. We live in Illinois and are used to 90's and humidity. Can anyone tell me if it is warm enough for shorts or will we need to take a lot of pants? We are staying on Coronado Island if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Paul

Nope,
They vacated the city late last night. Absolutely nobody is in San Diego right at this instant. Sorry.
p

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Sue

Hi Sheila: I live in San Diego, inland north county. We went to the zoo in the late afternoon yesterday. It was pretty hot there. In our area it's supposed to be close to 90 today with high humidity. So the Wild Animal Park will really be hot. I assure you that everyone will be wearing shorts in San Diego. The forecast for coastal San Diego today is 76 and the low 66. You could bring one pair of long pants or capris, just in case. Have fun.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Barbara

Sheila, today, Wednesday, we're having somewhat humid weather. The temperature is supposed to go down a couple of degrees by the weekend. On the beaches it's very pleasant. Inland, away from any possible breeze from the ocean, it's very hot. Coronado should be lovely. It does get cooler in the evening, so you might want lightweight pants for then, even a light sweater or sweatshirt. You can check the local weather at www.kfmb.com

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:36 AM
SDGuy

Just got back from playing some beach volleyball this morning. Little more humid out today, but nice weather. Most people I know live in shorts all summer (if not year round). Bring along a pair of pants and a sweater for evening, since you might find out evenings to be a tad chillier than what you're used to in Illinois.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Rebecca

The temperature reports that you see are from the airport, where it is generally cooler. I live about six miles inland and that gets me about ten more degrees.

San Diego County is made up of many different microclimates. While it's 70 at the coast, it may be 105 at the desert, and all different temperatures in between.

Generally, it will be somewhat cloudy at the coast in the mornings, followed by low 70s in the daytime. As you move inland, the temperature will go up and you'll probably have sun from sunrise onward.

When you live here, you learn to dress in layers... I often start the day with a light sweater, but depending on where I'm going, wear either a short-sleeved or strappy shirt underneath.

Best advice is to bring a variety of clothes from slacks to shorts and a few jackets/sweaters... then dress according to the specific area of the county you'll be in for that day. That's what we who live here do !!

PS... You'll need sunscreen everywhere... even at the coast when it's partly cloudy... just ask my husband who got burned at the beach when it was cloudy the other day!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Sheila

Thanks to everyone except Paul for your replies. Why is there always one who has to be a "smart guy"!!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Helen

WE just got back from San Diego, we stayed in Pacific Beach for a week. It was wonderful. It was in the 70 in the day, and at night I just wore jeans and a light sweater. I have lived in the Mid West and you will love the weather. My family was with us from Mo. and they did however want warmer weather. (nuts), but no mosquitoes. YOu'll love it there.