San Diego Weather??

May 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

San Diego Weather??

I have been reading about June Gloom. Can anyone tell me what the weather has been recently?? Is it gloomy all day or just the morning? How should we dress for a Sunday afternoon baseball game at Petco?? Will it be very cold or just a light jacket?? Thanks.
May 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM

A Sunday afternoon could be hot and sunny. Take a light jacket, but also be sure to put lots of sunscreen on! Tomorrow, however,it's supposed to be cooler and there may be a little rain coming either later tomorrow, or Monday. None of that may happen, though!
May 20th, 2006, 08:12 PM
trippinkpj

We were supposed to have showers today in San Jose CA, by looking on Yahoo weather. I got up at 6 am, and there hasn't been rain. In fact, it was sunny for a good half of the day. So I wouldn't worry much, but do have a light jacket and hat as the last poster said. FYI, in the coastal spots that get some gloom, it usually isn't all day and all month..

May 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM

June gloom in San Diego is better than June anywhere else in the US.
May 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

THanks for your kind replies with regard to the weather in San Diego. Another question: We are going to Buena Vista to Knotts Berry Farm during our stay as well. Since it is more inland, will it be warmer, that is shorts and tshirt weather?? Or should we also be prepared with light jackets. Thanks so much for the tips.
May 21st, 2006, 07:37 PM
trippinkpj

It should be warmer, but watch weather.com and be prepared. Stash windbreakers in a backpack or tote bage. Or the old tie around the waist trick.

May 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM

I'm not from SD, but just returned from a trip there. I can say that inland is significantly warmer than SD, probably easily by 5-15 degrees. It was 65 and overcast in SD while about 75-80 and sunny inland. Hope that helps.
May 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Paul, that does help, but can you tell me how far "inland" is?? I am assuming Escondido is inland, but is anywhere else in SD inland or do I need to leave the city limits?
May 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM

It depends. Some days, "inland" can be tow or thre miles, or even less, from the coast. Others it might be a little further. Disneyland will be warm.

Check the weather on www.kfmb.com for San Diego county.
May 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM

OK, two or three!!!
May 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM

And Knott's Berry Farm will be warm too.LOL!
May 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM

I live in San Diego. Since we have almost perfect weather year-round, we consider June to be not so great. Yes it can be overcast a lot in June. However it's not actually cold...it just might be overcast, and definitely not as sunny as July, August, and September. However, it is still good weather even in June for theme parks, hikes, etc. It's just not so great at the beach. Also the water temp at the beach in June is rather cool, compared to August...

But June is generally less crowded at theme parks than July and August.

Hope this helps.

Also, I would rec-consider Knott's Berry Farm in August. The reason? Knott's is very crowded in August, and the lines for the best rides are so long it's ridiculous. The last time I went to knott's was a couple years ago, and they didn't have any fastpass system anywhere near as good as what Disneyland and California Adventures has. We had to skip the best rides in the summer at Knott's because we didn't want to wait over 2 hours in line.

At Disneyland and California Adventures, you can get fastpasses for free to get in the shorter line for the major rides. With a fastpass, your wait is between 5 minutes and 20 minutes long. Without a fastpass, in August, your wait can be 2 or 3 hours!

Knott's Berry Farm didn't have fastpasses the last time I went there. (Maybe somebody has been recently and can comment on whether they have something comparable to disney's fastpasses and whether they work well and are free??)

Have fun! June is fine in San Diego, as long as you won't be disappointed by having some overcast days.
May 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

I think I have a better handle on the weather to expecdt while we are there next week. I should have checked this forum before booking our beach condo for June, ha! We will be fine, just have to take those sweatshirts I have already packed away, ha! Bulky! Thanks for the info on Knotts. We will be there probably next Thurs of Friday, havent decided yet. I have heard lots of school groups will be there. But hopefully, not as busy as August.
May 22nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Barbara,

I just clicked on your link to the local station and read the weather report. Very interesting about the history of Gray May and June Gloom. This really helps me understand what is going on. Down South, we just have hot, sunny and soon humidity. Thanks a bunch.
May 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM

I just got back from San Diego last week. As far as the sweatshirts, we would have found those too warm. A lightweight (like t-shirt weight) jacket is what we had and that worked great. Cycling back and forth between that and no jacket because the weather was just in between. The smaller crowds make up for the overcast weather, in my opinion (we go to San Diego for a week every year, rent a beach condo too even in May).
May 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM

I hope you bear in mind when planning the trip to Knott's that it's in Buena Park....

Although Grey May and June Gloom are typical, I must point out that today's weather on the coast (and I mean "on the coast"-- my office window looks out onto Santa Monica Beach) is clear and clean and spectacular. Sun's out and I'm stuck in the office...! Sometimes life isn't fair.

I think sweatshirts may be a bit heavy for overcast mornings (the temperatures will be in the refreshing lower to mid 60s). Long sleeve T-shirts will be sufficient. The kids can push up the sleeves as it gets warmer. Hey, this is usually the closest thing we get to weather here in southern CA!
May 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think I got the weather picture now, windbreakers or long sleeve Ts, no shirtshirts. Didnt know how cool it would be with ocean breeze, etc. Thanks for your input!
May 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Kal

Chili today...hot tamale!

Hi Barb! ><
May 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM

Hi Kal! Lovely day today. All the rain has gone...of course I got my windows cleaned last week!
May 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Kal

I got my windows cleaned last week

:-? Hmmmm...do I know that by another name?

I do miss the SD weather...everytime I smell night blooming jasmine....summer night in SD.