Two weeks in Alaska in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Alaska July 8th through July 22nd. We have most of our lodging set and have rented a passenger van for transportation. We are three couples and we are flying in and out of Anchorage.

Our stops are:
Three days in Seward
Two days in Sterling
Two days in Homer
One travel day north with a stop TBD
Four Days in Willow with a day or so for Denali

The guys are all about fishing, the girls would like a little hiking, kayaking, glacier seeing and wildlife viewing.
We’ve done a lot of research and have found some activities I just wanted to see if anyone had some must sees or be sure not to miss this suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Can I assume your stays in Sterling and Willow were chosen because of access to fishing? If so, given your dates, what species are the guys focused on? It's likely to be too late for king salmon, besides which it's highly likely the whole Cook Inlet/Mat Su early king salmon sports fishery will be closed again this year. Fishing for red (Sockeye) salmon might be possible, but that can easily become gawdawful "combat" fishing on the Kenai and not much better in the Susitna River drainage (Willow.) It'll be too early for silver salmon, so presumably they're okay with fishing for trout or Dolly Varden char? Of course, saltwater fishing for various rockfish or halibut will be available in Seward and Homer.

Neither Sterling nor Willow are especially well placed for day trips IMO, although from Willow you can easily visit Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine near Palmer as a day trip (but not via the Hatcher Pass - Willow Road unless your rental van is approved for gravel roads or you feel lucky.) A day trip from Willow to Denali NP is going to feel pretty long assuming you're doing something within the park (activities limited by the road situation.)

For an overnight between Homer and Willow, I'd probably just stay in Anchorage, or maybe in Girdwood. The Alyeska hotel is nice and comfortable, but not cheap.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo. They are mainly trying for halibut, they get a lot of salmon and trout fishing here in Michigan.
We are thinking of staying close to Anchorage on that drive. There are suppose to be some nice waterfall hikes around there.
Willow was picked by one of the other couples. I was surprised to see how far away Denali would be from there. But our place is on a lake with kayaks, paddle boards and canoes. The description says:
‘fishing (world-class fishermen have been our guests!), river rafting, walking on a glacier, 4-wheeling, horse-back riding, mountain biking, visiting the musk-ox farm, dog-sled teams, goldmines, museums, Denali, Palmer, Wasilla, Hatcher's Pass, and Talkeetna.’
Thanks for the heads up on the road conditions. We will check on them before making the three hour trek to Denali from Willow.
Hopefully we can find some interesting things to see and do in Hatcher’s Pass and the closer places.

Last edited by cgenster; Apr 24th, 2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 06:48 AM

I loved our visit to Independence Mine. Very interesting buildings and you get a sense of how remote it was. We did not hike in the area but had to get out to look at a roadside stream because the water was so beautiful. We expected to find lodging in Talkeetna since it was mid-week but it's a small town. The visitors center helped us find a cabin we could rent for just one night. It was late June and we were warned bears and moose were around. Moose were also hanging around a suburban home area where we stayed in Kenai.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks dfrostnh,

Independence Mine seems like a good outing while we’re in Willow.