Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Alaska cruisetour -- two ship cabins gets you two hotel rooms

Mar 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

This was (good) news to me, so I'm posting in case anyone else like me isn't aware of this. Though, in hindsight, I should have realized it!

On our family cruisetour to Alaska this summer, I decided to book a separate, inside cabin for the kids on the ship. On the land portion following the cruise, we will be staying at several different hotels, and I asked the travel agent if we could get a rollaway bed in our hotel room so my children (different sexes) didn't have to share a bed. The reply was that rollaway beds could be requested but not guaranteed. I was resigned to making do, but knew we would miss the space we had on the ship.

Now the agent has told me that since we booked two cabins on the ship, we will be assigned two hotel rooms on land. Of course! Don't know why that didn't occur to me before. I love unexpected good travel news.
Mar 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM

It's good news if you are ready to pay for 2 rooms. It's bad news if you are on a budget
Mar 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's a package price, so when I agreed to pay the cost of the additional stateroom on the ship, apparently the cost of the extra hotel room on land was included. I just thought it was for the ship portion, so it's a pleasant surprise.
Mar 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM

This is nice, to have a room for yourself and not to worry if the kids get their own beds!
Mar 26th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Depending on the ages of the kids, just be prepared for them to be the only ones on your cruisetour. Very very few kids go on them. Take triple the supplies you think you'll need, if younger, batteries, games, food.

Not sure why you didn't realize you would have two rooms?? Nice it was a surprise to you?

You may want to look closely at your cruisetour and be certain you understand everything about it. Most do not. Budget 50% more than you would at home for meals.
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, BudgetQueen. Kids are tween/teen and will have cousins their ages along, fortunately. We expect the train trip, bus ride into Denali, etc. to have long boring stretches for the kids so I'm packing iPods with movies, etc. We plan to eat at restaurants like the Roadhouse, Wildflower Cafe in Talkeetna, hoping to find similar recommendations in other cities. Sounds like I need to be prepared for hefty food bills.

I would appreciate your insight as to what part of cruistours most people don't understand. This will be my first so I probably fall into that category.

Thanks!
Mar 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Post your cruisetour, I'll open your eyes. The biggest mistake is to have the worthless Natural History tour. An extremely POOR choice. Hopefully you have the Tundra Wilderness tour.
Mar 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU! Here it is:
Cruise: Depart from Vancouver; cruise Inside Passage, visit Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, cruise Hubbard Glacier, disembark (deboard?) in Seward.

Then:
Native Heritage Center
Anchorage Marriott
Rail AM - ANC to TLK
Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
Rail AM - TLK to DNL
Grande Denali Lodge
Tundra Wilderness Tour - AM departure
Grande Denali Lodge
Riverboat Discovery Tour
Wedgewood Resort
Fairbanks Transfer

Excursions I've already lined up:

Whale-watching boat trip in Juneau
Denali flightseeing trip from Talkeetna

Excursions I'm considering:

Zip line in Icy Strait Point
El Dorado Gold Mine in Fairbanks
Whitewater rafting in Denali

I don't have a helicopter landing on a glacier planned -- money is a consideration. Would I be foolish NOT to spend the money on this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.
Mar 31st, 2009, 04:05 AM

This is a decent cruisetour choice.

In my opinion, seeing Alaska from the air is a top choice. Only you can decide what is important to you. But I would forego all tours of your list, for a flight.