Search

5-day short trip around NYC area - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2023, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5-day short trip around NYC area - suggestions

Hello!

I will be meeting with my sister and brother-in-law in NYC in a couple of weeks. They're coming from overseas for a visit and they are seniors and I will be meeting with them with my wife and a very laid back 20-year old son. I rented a car to be picked up at JFK airport and we'll have around 5 days until we get back to NYC just a couple of days prior to their departing flight. They're pretty active and can do some walking but I'd rather avoid long walks or any intensive activities due to their age. We are prioritizing out time together, since we don't see each other for the past 5 years. I guess they'll love small towns, shops and restaurants and any coastal city would be a bonus. Here is my starting route and any suggestions are appreciated. The odd city is Boston but I'm the only one in the group that has even been there so I thought we could spend a day or two there.

NYC (04/22) > Providence > Cape Cod > Boston > NYC (04/28)
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 01:55 AM

I think your itinerary is too much driving unless sightseeing from a car is what they want to do but I'm going to guess it would be mostly boring interstate. Spring should have arrived on the Cape so I would concentrate time there. Friends recently spent time in Falmouth to enjoy seafood but at this time of year some of the museums they wanted to see weren't open when they were there so check hours open . Before covid we had a nice walking food tour of Providence that might not be too much walking. We usually ate in an Italian restaurant one night during Providence visits.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 07:18 AM

If you do follow that itinerary, stop by Mystic for the seaport museum.

https://flic.kr/p/7vx3fi
But as an alternative the Hudson valley would be less rushed.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjsqN921

Last edited by Michael; Apr 8th, 2023 at 07:20 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 03:01 PM

I think it's too much for 5 days, also. Otherwise, it's hard to say as we don't know their interests. Aside from Cape Cod., I think you could have just done that by train anyway. What is your plan -- one day in Cape Cod, one day in Providence, maybe two days in Boston or what? It really depends where they live and what may be of interest or new to them. Cape Cod might not be it, who knows. I consider Providence of minor interest, but the Newport Mansions are interesting and something different. I spent more time visiting them than Providence itself when I was in that area. I just stayed in an unremarkable town in-between the two (Exeter I think) so I could easily drive to Providence for the day as it's only about 20 miles and it was convenient for driving to Newport for a day touring the mansions. Newport is kind of a fun town, some good beaches but it's not beach weather.

I could see doing the Mystic CT thing, then Providence/Newport than Boston and dropping Cape Cod. But as I said, this depends on their interests.

Alternatively, if they love small towns, you could just go up to Vermont. They have various kitschy shops as they depend on tourism a lot. If you went up that way, Hartford has a few things of interest, actually (terrific art museum plus Mark Twain's house. JFK to Manchester VT is only about 4 hours drive. To Woodstock, it's only about 4.5 hrs. Harriett Beecher Stowe lived near Mark Twain and her house is a museum now also. So a different trip would be driving to Hartford, maybe spend the next day there sightseeing, then going up to VT for a few days wherever interested you.

Another trip would be Hudson River Valley, some mansions, etc.

I think any of these would work, you'd just need to agree on which one interests you most.

As I said, I think your planned itiinery is possible but might be a bit much for me and I might cut Cape Cod or Boston, depending on interests.
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 12:38 AM

I think you could comfortably visit Providence and Boston and potentially do a day trip to Provincetown which is the very tip of Cape Cod. There’s a ferry from Boston that’s easy enough to manage. I believe Provincetown will have the most open and interesting places to visit during a time of the year which is considered off season.
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfrostnh
I think your itinerary is too much driving unless sightseeing from a car is what they want to do but I'm going to guess it would be mostly boring interstate. Spring should have arrived on the Cape so I would concentrate time there. Friends recently spent time in Falmouth to enjoy seafood but at this time of year some of the museums they wanted to see weren't open when they were there so check hours open . Before covid we had a nice walking food tour of Providence that might not be too much walking. We usually ate in an Italian restaurant one night during Providence visits.
Thanks for your message. I plan to drive from NY to Providence on the first day, it's going to be a 3.5 hour drive. How long do you think is a good time to spend in Providence? 1 day?
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
I think it's too much for 5 days, also. Otherwise, it's hard to say as we don't know their interests. Aside from Cape Cod., I think you could have just done that by train anyway. What is your plan -- one day in Cape Cod, one day in Providence, maybe two days in Boston or what? It really depends where they live and what may be of interest or new to them. Cape Cod might not be it, who knows. I consider Providence of minor interest, but the Newport Mansions are interesting and something different. I spent more time visiting them than Providence itself when I was in that area. I just stayed in an unremarkable town in-between the two (Exeter I think) so I could easily drive to Providence for the day as it's only about 20 miles and it was convenient for driving to Newport for a day touring the mansions. Newport is kind of a fun town, some good beaches but it's not beach weather.

I could see doing the Mystic CT thing, then Providence/Newport than Boston and dropping Cape Cod. But as I said, this depends on their interests.

Alternatively, if they love small towns, you could just go up to Vermont. They have various kitschy shops as they depend on tourism a lot. If you went up that way, Hartford has a few things of interest, actually (terrific art museum plus Mark Twain's house. JFK to Manchester VT is only about 4 hours drive. To Woodstock, it's only about 4.5 hrs. Harriett Beecher Stowe lived near Mark Twain and her house is a museum now also. So a different trip would be driving to Hartford, maybe spend the next day there sightseeing, then going up to VT for a few days wherever interested you.

Another trip would be Hudson River Valley, some mansions, etc.

I think any of these would work, you'd just need to agree on which one interests you most.

As I said, I think your planned itiinery is possible but might be a bit much for me and I might cut Cape Cod or Boston, depending on interests.
Hi Christina, thanks for your reply. They are coming from out of the country. Yes, the plan was to spend a day in Providence, a day in Cape Cod and probable a few days in Boston if we go to Boston at all. As I said, they are both in their mid-70s, so I wanted something laid back that does not require too much walking. Small towns, restaurants, shops and a very nice coastal town would be good. They might go to museums but I don't think they would spend too much time in them. Anything outdoor would also be fun.
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think they might enjoy Newport more than Providence. Visit a a mansion or two, stroll the downtown, have dinner waterside . . .
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 12:07 PM

YOu know them, if they don't like museums, then maybe they wouldn't be interested in Newport mansions, either, as that is sort of a museum.

I didn't do much of anything in Providence except visit the RISD art museum (again, if they don't like museums, that's out). I think I also visited a historic house museums nearby, one was a former governor (Stephen HOpkins) and maybe the JOhn Brown house museum. All those are within walking distance of each other.

Providence is small, there isn't really tons of stuff to do there. BUt it is a small town so you could walk around that area where that historic stuff is.

Yes, I think Newport "downtown" area is a small town and that might be worthwhile walking around, it's on the water. There is a wharf. And driving around seeing the water views where the mansions are is nice also. Newport has some sports related museums, if that ios of any interest, and they just don't like art/history museums much. The Tennis International Hall of Fame is there, and also and auto museum and sailing museum. They have some lighthouses around there also.
https://www.visitrhodeisland.com/thi...g/lighthouses/
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by cchean
Thanks for your message. I plan to drive from NY to Providence on the first day, it's going to be a 3.5 hour drive. How long do you think is a good time to spend in Providence? 1 day?
the food tour starts late April and is 1.7 miles. There is occasional indoor sit down and sample food but this is probably too much walking. Think they would like Newport better and Mystic even more. I haven't been to Mystic in a long time but next visit is this fall. The last time we visited Newport we enjoyed the special mansion tours but you would have to see what is available. My favorite was beneath the Breakers which explained how the place was heated, the workers, water sustem, etc.the other was a different mansion where we saw the servants quarters and life of servants was explained. I don't care for seeing rich people's furniture of that era.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have lived my life in the region of your interest. I have to say that the itinerary in your first post is impractical, bordering on the unpleasant. You will spend at least half your time on highly trafficked boring interstates full of trucks, then trying to navigate crowded streets in a new city. Cape Cod will be too cold to swim, so you will be spending time in beach towns with nothing to do.

Trying to see everything means seeing nothing. Consider instead a few practical options:

Option A: No car. Stay in Manhattan and have access to theater, world class museums, world class shopping, and every kind of restaurant you could think of.

Option B: Take your rental car out to a base near Riverhead and explore the North and South Forks of Long Island (Hamptons, Montauk, wineries, even a discount mall). Depending on exact dates and days of the week, there may be an arts fair or crafts fair.

Option C: Take the car north and explore the Hudson Valley. There are multiple threads here with ideas for that, so plug Hudson into the search function, or ask for individualized advice on a new thread.

In any case, you may need to reserve lodging ASAP since you will be looking for popular areas, many of which have minimum stay requirements for a reservation if it involves a weekend.

A little practical planning now will save your trip.

Old Apr 11th, 2023, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
I have lived my life in the region of your interest. I have to say that the itinerary in your first post is impractical, bordering on the unpleasant. You will spend at least half your time on highly trafficked boring interstates full of trucks, then trying to navigate crowded streets in a new city. Cape Cod will be too cold to swim, so you will be spending time in beach towns with nothing to do.

Trying to see everything means seeing nothing. Consider instead a few practical options:

Option A: No car. Stay in Manhattan and have access to theater, world class museums, world class shopping, and every kind of restaurant you could think of.

Option B: Take your rental car out to a base near Riverhead and explore the North and South Forks of Long Island (Hamptons, Montauk, wineries, even a discount mall). Depending on exact dates and days of the week, there may be an arts fair or crafts fair.

Option C: Take the car north and explore the Hudson Valley. There are multiple threads here with ideas for that, so plug Hudson into the search function, or ask for individualized advice on a new thread.

In any case, you may need to reserve lodging ASAP since you will be looking for popular areas, many of which have minimum stay requirements for a reservation if it involves a weekend.

A little practical planning now will save your trip.

AJPeabody is one smart traveler! The North Fork should be lovely in late April and Greenport, former whaling town-turned semi-trendy weekend town, still has charm. As does the tiny hamlet of Orient, near the eastern tip of the North Fork (there are 2 forks of Long Island: North and south); Montauk is the eastern tip of the southern fork. Wineries, very pretty beaches for strolling, nature preserves, etc. Or go more glitzy and head for the Hamtptons and Sag Harbor, another former whaling town with some beautiful architecture.

Drriving to Rhode Island?Boston, along the dreaded I-95..not so much fun and lots of time spent in the car for such a short trip.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 03:54 AM

First thing that struck me is that you do not have to see Times Sqaure on day of arrival; see it after show at Radio City, at night, when Times Square is at its most buzzing and you can see all the neon.

Maybe you can see Chinatown and LES on Day 2 (there is not much to Little Italy anymore..just a couple of streets with touristy restaurants (do not eat at any of these...strictly for tourists) at least one museum, historic firehouse, the famous Ferrara bakery for southern Italian sweets, and the legendary DiPalo food store on the corner of Mott and Grand. I shop at DiPalo regularly and if you are interested at all in Italian food, you might like to peek in, even if not buying. Shoppers come from all over the world--tourists from Italy, old grannies from Chinatown, Italian-Americans now living in other boroughs or in the suburbs who return for food items....

Include Nolita, a bit north, if shopping is of interest. More interesting shops than SOHO nowadays, in my own opinion.

Have lunch in Chinatown, maybe at GREAT NEW YORK NOODLETOWN on the corner of Bowery and Bayard..cheap (lunch can easily be under $10) and very good for roasted duck. pig, and BBQ pork won ton soups, soft shell crabs, etc. You may not get your own private table at busy times but that is part of the appeal, for me, anyway. A real NYC landmark. Stick to the tried and true items on the menu.

OR, you could walk north to Houston Street/near Essex, and try one of the famous meat sandwiches at Katz' deli...also world famous and excellent. Order at the counter and grab your own seat; do not sit in the area that has wait service. On the way, stop off at the new-ish ESSEX STREET MARKET, on Delancey and Essex.

Then on Day 3 you could do some combination of MOMA, High Line, and Chelsea Market. (There is also the Essex Street market on Lower East Side at Delancey and Essex Streets. Chelsea Market has some good stores but it can get jammed with tourists at times. If you like food markets, now is a great time to visit the Greenmarket at Union Square....a good season since new spring products will be around..best days are Wednesdays and Saturdays although it also open Mondays and Fridays. Maybe even walk around Greenwich Village on tht day if you are a strong walker and do not dawdle too much.
Most interesting is the far western part of "the Village," (no one here calls in Greenwich Village, just "the West Village," or "The Village."

There is also the "East Village," north of the Lower East Side...in general, with exceptions, not as upscale..but with interesting park, small shops, a few legendary eateries (including a couple of Ukranian ones, lots of good Asian, some good pizza)..worth a walk around between Second Avenue east to Avenue B is what I would consider the core area..from 14th Street south to Houston Street. The entire are is totally safe to walk around and stretches all the way east towards the East River and Avenue D. The far eastern part used to be heavily Puerto Rican and low income and saturated with hard drugs, but this has changed totally from those years....popular with students from nearby NYU.

Then you'll have more time for the rest of the days...I'm just throwing out ideas and no doubt others will critique, but I do think you might want to re-work the initial plan a bit...

Anyway..need to get a haircut..have fun and please (!) report back!!

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 20th, 2023 at 10:04 AM. Reason: deleted references to a deleted post
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 09:47 PM

Hello cchean,

Here are some suggestions for your 5-day short trip around the NYC

Day 1 at NYC

Spend your first day in New York City and explore the famous landmarks and attractions. Explore the Central Park, Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Day 2 at Providence

Drive to Providence, Rhode Island, and explore the historic district of Federal Hill, Rhode Island State House, Roger Williams Park Zoo, and WaterFire Providence, an award-winning sculpture installation by Barnaby Evans on the river.

Day 3 at Cape Cod

Visit Cape Cod and spend the day enjoying the scenic beauty of beaches, lighthouses, and quaint villages. Visit the Cape Cod National Seashore, go for a whale watching tour, and explore the charming town of Provincetown.

Day 4-5 at Boston

Spend the next two days exploring the historic city of Boston.

The Freedom Trail, the USS Constitution Museum, the Paul Revere House, and the Old North Church are all worth seeing. Visit the Boston Common, Fenway Park, and the Museum of Fine Arts as well.

On the last day, drive back to NYC and enjoy the food and other activities.

Hope these suggestions help you.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 01:20 PM

IvyOliver, that itinerary is impossible. Where are you scraping up your info? Surely not from experience. Maybe a chatbot?
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 05:28 AM

Hi AJPeabody,

why isn't it possible? It would be greatly valued if you could clarify. I'm planning a month-long vacation with my family at the end of the year, and NYC is on my wish list. For that, I planned on visiting all of these and many other places in NYC after considering many suggestions. Can't we make this plan work for a 5-day trip?

Old Apr 25th, 2023, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by IvyOliver
Hi AJPeabody,

why isn't it possible? It would be greatly valued if you could clarify. I'm planning a month-long vacation with my family at the end of the year, and NYC is on my wish list. For that, I planned on visiting all of these and many other places in NYC after considering many suggestions. Can't we make this plan work for a 5-day trip?
It is impossible because every day is a travel day, with no time to see anything. You would spend all day traveling, checking in and out of lodgings, looking for someplace to park, some[place to eat, etc. Driving in this region means negotiating roads crowded with commuters and trucks. Do not attempt this.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 08:12 PM

Oh, thank you for giving me this knowledge, AJPeabody. If you hadn't responded to this discussion, we could have made some bad travel plans this way. How long would it take us to visit all of them, and how can we better this plan?
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 04:30 AM

Simple framework on planning: First, you will accomplish little or nothing in the way of sightseeing on arrival day at a place and on departure day from the place. Second, naming a sight does not mean you can get there instantly, see the place, and get to the next one instantly. Third, you have to eat. So allow at most two sights per day, one morning and one afternoon.

So, go over your lists of what you want to see at each city and calculate days needed, then add on arrival day and departure day.

Oh, and also realize that some sights have closure days, so use a calendar to figure your plan.
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 09:58 PM

Great! Thank you for the tips, AJPeabody. I will definitely double check and plan my trip accordingly.