Two Islands...7 days...please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be making our first trip to Hawaii in October 7d/6n. I've read through many many posts on this website and have been keeping tabs of the 'best of lists'. I'm left with a few questions that will help best tailor our trip to our needs.
Which 2 islands would be the best choice: BI, Maui, or Kauai?
Here's a list of our priorities:

1. Kilauea Caldera Volcano either by hiking to the lava fields or by helicopter. Are there any restrictions on these tours lately? How is the lava flowing? We'd especially like to see it at night.
2. Lots of activity with snorkeling, possibly diving, great hikes with breathtaking views, biking, once in a lifetime type of things
3. A bit of nightlife. It's our first vacation without kids in 4 years!

Is it possible to do a day trip by helicopter to either the BI or Kauai?

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM

With only 7 days, don't waste your time moving from island to island. Pick one. If you really want to do two islands, up your time to 10 days.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
dmlove

If you do decide to do two islands, based on your criteria, I would pick the Big Island (for volcano) and Maui (for nightlife). Kauai is gorgeous, tropical, lush, and lazy -- I don't mean that in a bad way at all (we were just there and loved every minute) -- but based on your post....

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Ag3046

1. The only way to see lava is by helicopter. No lava is flowing into the ocean.

2. Any of the islands has this. I think maybe Maui and TBI.

3.For real nightlife, you need Oahu. Second choice is Maui, probably in the Lahaina- Ka'anapali area.

4. I belive you can do day trips to the Volcano. There were prior posts about this. Try googling for it. I seem to recall they were from Maui (makes most sense- as it's the closest) or Oahu.

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Ag3046

7D/6n means you arrive on Day 1, likely midafternoon and depart midday Day 7, so Day 1/night 1 and Day 7 are not really very enjoyable. That leaves only 5d/5n of real vacation time. With that little time, I'd stick to Maui and see if you can get a helicopter trip over Kilauea. Or just spend the whole time on TBI.

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

I think you really only have time for one island - with your timeframe, I'd pick either Maui or the Big Island. Maui struck as the most sophisticated and expensive of all the islands; Big Island offers a great sense of diversity and adventure and the volcano. Either one would offer you good snorkeling and water activities.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
mjs

I would also pick one island and Maui would also be my choice.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM

Consider not just a helicopter to see Kilauea, but also a small plane. My wife and I used Island Hoppers out of the Kona Airport on the Big Island just last week and I HIGHLY recommend them. They fly Cessna planes and it was about $200/person cheaper than a heli. (It cost $528 total for both of us. That includes a $35/person discount when were there.) Plus, the plane has no middle seats, so everyone gets a window, unlike some of the helis. We took a 7:00 am trip that lasted 2 hrs and also went around the island from Kona southward, VNP, Hilo, the eastern coastline waterfalls and valleys. It was outstanding! I wouldn't waste my time driving to Volcano Natl Park hoping to see the lava from the ground. We overheard a couple at our hotel talking and they said they regretted driving to VNP, since they couldn't see the lava from the ground. That was enough to change our minds! Also, the lava flow was about .7 mile long above the ground when we were there on 8/27 and quite visible from the air. (Check http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php for daily updates.) I got some great video! Enjoy!!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:42 AM

I would vote Big Island (for the volcano, snorkeling, and breathtaking hikes) and Oahu (for Waikiki nightlife and quintessential Hawaii).
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM
maw

If you want to soak up 'that romantic Hawaii' feeling PLEASE consider choosing one island..it's been a few years since we went to Hawaii but I remember overhearing several couples who were quite upset they had tried to do two islands in a week.. between packing,unpacking,checkout and checkin,airport and rental car office time, flying time etc they said it pretty much took up an ENTIRE day of their trip to transfer islands--take that day away plus pretty much your arrival and departure days leaves you with maybe actually 2 days on each island!

As someone else said you could choose Maui and do a flyby of volcano, or stay on the BI which has plenty besides the volcano to offer. Either island would meet your criteria otherwise as far as snorkeling, views, hikes etc unless you want a LOT of nightlife in which case you'd prob. pick Maui.

Have fun trip planning!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

More to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

You could do a day trip to any of the other islands. From Oahu, I went on one to Big Island Hilo side to see Hawaii Volcanoes National Park & also one to Maui for Road to Hana.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564