Reload this Page >

Two Days in Honolulu

Search

Two Days in Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:48 AM
Bellis

Two Days in Honolulu

We have chosen the newly renovated Marriott and will be in Honolulu for two days July 4th and 5th...What should be on our list besides Pearl Harbor and Pineapple Plantation?

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:46 PM
dave

My wife and I drove around the island from Pearl Harbor one afternoon. Got to Pearl Harbor around 8:30, toured the Missouri, and left around noon. Took a wrong turn and went up Rt.99 and came across the Dole Plantation, stopped for half an hour and continued on up to the north shore and around to Rt. 83 down to diamondhead. A very scenic drive and takes in a lot of the island. Next day returned to eastern shores to boogie board and swim. This was a very inexpensive tour of the island in a short time. Completely free other than the boogie board rental($6) the Missouri tour was $14pp, and food and gas.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:55 PM
Ken

Foregt the pineapple plantation.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:38 PM
Postal

Hike up Diamond Head (free) and spend a couple of hours snorkeling at Hanauma Bay if possible.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:53 AM
annemarie

One day driving around the island stopping at Hanauma Bay first thing in the morning...it will be one of the closest places to your start. Next day, Pearl Harbour, etc.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Patty

There is a small charge to hike Diamond Head now (I think around $1-2). Go in the morning and then spend the afternoon at one of the windward side beaches (Kailua, Lanikai, Waimanalo).

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Samantha

a charge to hike Diamond head that hike is not even great at free. I much prefer the hike up at Makapu lighthouse it is just 20 minutes over the pali stop off and do the pali lookout. Don't carry pork over this pass after sunset or legend has it your call will stall.

No crowds and panaramic vistas of the windward side. Far less built up than southern shore and you have the wonderful koolau mountains against the ocean in your veiw certainly more beautiful than the waikiki coastline. Go in overcast or early morning for a comfortable hike.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Samantha

ps paved roads ring around the hillside leading up to the lighthouse. Lighthouse area is close but surrounding vistas still afford tremendous views of the windward side.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:02 AM
lee

Take the star of Honolulu cruise. We had a wonderful breakfast and lunch on board. We were taught hula and they had a hula exhibiton, basket weaving, lei making. Had a 2 for 1 coupon so not expensive, I think it was $35 total.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Melissa

Don't forget that July 4 is HUGE for picnics and celebrations. One of the largest events is at Ala Moana Center. At 3 PM, they clear the parking lot facing the ocean and have a huge live concert till 8 PM, when they have a big fireworks display. Well, they have had this for the last several years but I do know they recently changed management--so I hope they keep it up....

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Becky

Punchbowl Cemetery of the Pacific is beautiful and historic. Many Pearl Harbor Vets are buried there, and a large viewing platform has great views of Waikiki, just like Diamond Head has, but minus the hike!
The snorkel in Haunauma Bay would be nice, if you like to and have enough time. I would recommend VERY early AM (it gets too crowded), after which you could continue your drive around the island. Be sure to pull into all the scenic turnouts, you can't see the beauty without stopping.
A personal favorite of mine, on the East side, is Valley of the Temples to see the Buddhist Temple Byodo-In. It is in the far back of a cemetery, watch for the SMALL sign on your left. Very serene & beautiful, especially if no tour busses are there when you are.
I would skip Pineapple Plantation, too.
A lunch or dinner cruise would give a great Waikiki view from the water.