Search

Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu

I'm going to Hawaii for my honeymoon at the end of October. We will spend most of our time in Maui and Kauai. However, we have decided to spend 2 days and one night in Oahu. Can we do everything in two days? I'd love suggestions on must see and do activities. These are some of the things we want to do:

Polynesian Cultural Center
Dole Plantation (maybe)
Diamond Head
Pearl Harbor
Royal Luau

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Two days isn't nearly enough time to do and see "everything" Oahu has to offer. Of the things you've listed, and which I have done, Pearl Harbor takes a good 3 hours, the PCC can take half or most of a day depending how extensive you make your tour.

Maybe others have better feedback, but trying to squeeze all those things into 2 days and 1 night sounds exhausting to me. Have fun and congratulations!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM

I have been to Oahu 3x, for a week each and still haven't seen everything there. 2 days will give you a teaser for things you will want to come back and see on the next trip

I would spend at least 1 day doing a circle island drive around the island, which will allow you to see Dole, North Shore & Windward Beaches, Chinaman's hat, Macadamia Nut Farm tour, the Blow Hole, etc.

The other day could be spent on an early morning at Pearl Harbor and then just exploring Waikiki beach, with it's views of Diamond Head & lots of souvenir shopping.

There are a lot of mixed feelings on Polynesian Cultural Center, some feel it's a little too commercial..others love it. If you're only there for 2 days, you may not want to spend a whole day on that. Also, how much actual time you have there will depend on when you're flying in/out to the other islands. Maybe you should save the Luau for Maui.

Just my 2cents...whatever you do you can't go wrong, after all it's Hawaii!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Travelgirl,

My vote is for the circle island drive as well. You can see so much of the island in one day as well as still enjoy some activities.

I would visit Pearl Harbor, but if it is a long wait would skip the tour. It all depends on how passionate you are about it. Each person is different. The Dole plantation is an easy visit. Whip through and grab some "whip", Pineapple whip that is

Have fun.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:04 AM

I would also recommend cutting the PCC and luau. Do the latter on Maui. If you go to Pearl Harbor first thing in the morning you can usually get out by noon or 1, which will probably be enough time to stop at the Dole Plantation (this will be a half-hour at the very most) and the North Shore. If you hike Diamon Head, spend the remainder of that day exploring the east side of Oahu, which is gorgeous and has great beaches.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For me that would be way too much siteseeing and driving crammed in to a short period of time.

I would skip the Polynesian Cultural Center (because to my mind it is Disney-esque, way too touristy, and expensive) and you can see loads of real island dance and music all kinds of other places. I would save your luau for Maui and go to either Old Lahaina or Feast of Lele.

Seeing Diamond Head is easy from anywhere in Waikiki, but maybe you want to take time to hike it or have a picnic or something?

I had no interest personally in Pearl Harbor so didn't even think of that for myself.

Time permiting I think the historic places in Honolulu are of great interest (again personal preference) like the Iolani Palace and Chinatown. And of course the natural beauty, like the ideas already mentioned of a circle tour or at least getting up to the North Shore.

Leave yourself time for watching the sunset on Waikiki, with live music playing, stroll around, maybe have dinner on the veranda at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I like the circle island drive. I know we can't see everything in two days, but I also don't mind sightseeing both days. I can relax in Kauai and Maui. I will leave the luau to Maui. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Travelgirl -- Check out the trip around the island itinerary I posted for teadrinker under the thread entitled "Oahu, Hawaii March 2005 looking for unique experiences this time around". It's a really fun day, and maybe you and your new hubby will enjoy it.

I, too, would skip the PCC. There's so many other more interesting places to see and things to do, IMO.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Aloha TG,

Driving and Discovering Hawaii, O'ahu by Richard Sullivan is an indispensible travel guide for cruising O'ahu... worth every penny. The pics, tips and maps will help you to decide your "agenda" for your island tour. Enjoy. You've made a wise choice. Aloha!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM

For a variety of walking tours through Honolulu's Chinatown, go to

http://www.chinatownhi.com/gwt.asp