Tucson or San Antonio?

Search

Tucson or San Antonio?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tucson or San Antonio?

We're from Illinois and looking for a place for spring break mid March-so need to decide soon! Flights are high for some places we'd consider but there are good prices for Tucson and San Antonio. Have been to Tucson for a short visit but never San Antonio. Love to explore new places, like nature and actitivites, have a 13 year old and welcome input on which to choose!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
P_M

I've never been to Tucscon, but I've read nice things about it on this board. I live just 80 miles from SA, so of course I've been there many times.

I think you will enjoy SA. I recommend staying downtown near the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk has tons of great Mexican restaurants, but if you're not into Mexican food, that's OK, as you will find all sorts of other cuisines as well. Just across from the Riverwalk is the Alamo, which I find quite intersting. You might want to watch the nearby IMAX movie about the Alamo before visiting. Be sure to take the boat ride on the river. SA also has a very large zoo, as well as Sea World and Fiesta Texas, which is a Six Flags Theme park. You will not run out of things to do.

Please let us know what you decide.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Several years ago we drove through and spent a night in Tucson--it doesn't stand out but that could be an age factor! If you love to explore new places then I would strongly consider San Antonio. March can be a beautiful time of year here and a great time to explore the many great state parks, downtown, etc. Your 13 year old might love a climb to the top of Enchanted Rock which is about a 1.5 hour drive north of San Antonio.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...nchanted_rock/
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM

The great thing about Tucson is that it comes with SE Arizona--quite of beautiful place for nature lovers. If you go, don't miss the drive up Mount Lemmon.

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I love both places. Being that I was born in the South, I find San Antonio a bit less "different" than Tucson. Even with the Mexican feel to a lot of the town, SA is still Texas. Tucson has the Mexican ambience, maybe a bit more so than SA, plus all the gorgeous scenery of southeast Arizona.

But since you've never been to San Antonio, and it IS a fun town with some neat history, I say: Go to San Antonio! Save Tucson for next year.

Either choice, you'll enjoy it.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM

If you want to do a little "exploring" to see what there is around Tucson & southern AZ, send me an email and I will send you a whole list of things to see and do, with most of them structured as day trips from Tucson. And there are clickable links to virtually all of the places so you truly CAN explore before deciding whether to come to Tucson
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

After reading your replies I know I would be happy going to either! I agree Tucson at first glance doesn't grab you especially when you're used to all the green in IL. But then you hike Sabino Canyon early in the morning with its stream and pools in the midst of cactus and if you love nature you gotta like it. The weather and more time to relax pull us that direction.
On the other hand, we love to explore and I know we'd love San Antonio. My parents and sister loved the Riverwalk when they had a short stay there. It would be more of a sightseeing vacation and we'd have a week so maybe we'd even head down to the water. Would north Padre Island have too many college kids? I think I saw they are more at the south end.
To make things worse, this morning I read an article about spring being a great time to go to Washington, DC with the cherry trees in bloom and I thought it would be a great time to have our 13 year old see those sights! Are we wishy washy or what!! : ) Keep the ideas coming!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM

You can't go wrong on any of these destinations unless "nature" is a priority. In which case....
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM
P_M

If nature is a priority, then SA would be perfect. The Texas Hill Country is glorious any time of year, especially in the spring. You could also take a day trip to a lovely town on the river called Gruene. (pronounced Green)

I think any part of the TX coast will have spring breakers.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I did see the town of Gruene mentioned on another post. So there would be good hiking there? That was one thing I felt would be better about Tucson.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Of the areas you are considering, I don't think you will find better hiking than in southern Arizona.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM
P_M

Gruene is a beautiful town on the river, but the Hill Country is where to find the good hiking. My favorite hike is at Enchanted Rock, just outside of Fredericksburg.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thought the itinerary might break the tie. Tell me what you think.

Tuscon:
Sabino Canyon-a must
Saguaro Natl Park
Colossal Cave Mountain Park
St Augustine Cathedral
Mission San Xavier del Bac
horseback riding possibly
can you go to Mexico to shop safely?
Mt Lemmon?

San Antonio:
Riverwalk
Alamo
King William district
SA Missions Natl Park
Market Square
Enchanted Rock
Gruene if time?
Port Aransas for 2 days of beach

Am I missing important places for either one and any pluses or minuses?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add that we can use points for the whole week at the Sheraton Suites in Tucson so that's a plus. Unless we could get a good deal on priceline for SA might stay at O'Brien Historic Hotel a block off Riverwalk. We would be out and won't want to pay a lot and its reasonable and got good reviews.
Also, thought I had used a site that told approximately what you could expect to pay on priceline for certain hotels but can't remember it. Sound familiar to anyone?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM

You have missed a ton of things to see and do around Tucson. As I mentioned before, I would be happy to send you a whole list, with clickable links. Just send me an email.

Hare is just a sample of things you missed

Kartchner Caverns (forget Colossal Cave)
Bisbee
Arizona-Sonora Desert Muceum
Pima Air & Space MuseumTubac and shopping in Mexico (yes, it is safe)
Texas Canyon

Try www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com to find out what others have been paying for hotels on Priceline.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I feel like I'm talking to myself but I googled and found the site - betterbidding.com
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
P_M

jacobla, here's a good trip report about SA:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34761944
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

What a great trip report! Great suggestions for places to visit, accomodations and restaurants. Thank you!