Tucson, AZ

Old Jan 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tucson, AZ

I will be going to Tucson in late April. Looking for accommodations in the vicinity of the Convention Center and need recommendations. Restaurants and suggestions on things to do would also be appreciated. Will only be there for 5 days including travel days from California so time is quite limited.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 05:24 PM

I went to the Sonora Desert Museum last January and really enjoyed it, so if you have any interest in desert wildlife or the ecosystem, I would recommend it. It was a fun place to walk around. We spent several hours there.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is a must--it's like a park crossed with a zoo crossed with a botanical garden, very enjoyable, and a great introduction to the amazing biodiversity of the area. Saguaro National Monument is my other must-see. It has a nice visitor's center with a film and easy (1-2 mile) hiking trails to petroglyphs and, of course, saguaros.

I used to like the Tohono Chul park, too, but haven't been there in years--it's essentially a botanical garden, run by the Tohono O'Odham Nation.

Weather should be lovely!
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks the museum and the monument sound like great ideas. I'll check them out!
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 07:20 AM

I know others will diss it as touristy, etc., but as a lover of all things quirky, I have to put in a plug for Tombstone if there's time for a little day trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 07:34 AM

I won't dis it, lol! I do think an interest in, or cursory knowledge of, history makes a visit to Tombstone more enjoyable, as it's not exactly touristy--which is a good thing in my book. Bisbee (and the Copper Queen mine); Ramsey Canyon in Hereford; Mission San Xavier del Bac (which is actually pretty near Tucson); Kartchner Caverns; the Chiricahuas--all would also make great day trips, some longer than others.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There aren't many hotels near the TCC. Look at Hotel Congress for a good location near dining venues.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM

For things to do, check my blog:

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

My favorites:
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
Kartchner Caverns
Bisbee / Tombstone
Sabino Canyon
San Xavier del Bac mission
Saguaro National Park east and west (no longer called Saguaro National Monument)
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 12:12 PM

<Saguaro National Park east and west (no longer called Saguaro National Monument)>
Thanks for the correction, I didn't know it had changed.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM

I posted a trip report last night that included Tucson.

Would definitely agree w/ Saguaro NP and San Xavier del Bac for favorite spots, followed by Tohono Chul Park and ASDM.

Restaurants--I had a great meal at Feast on Speedway. We talked to people at next table, locals, and they said it was 1 of their top 3 favorites, also recommending Reilly's Pizza downtown, Acacia (Campbell/Sunrise?), Kitchen & Cocktails (downtown 6th & Broadway), and Cafe Poca Cosa (also downtown). So lots of options near COnvention Ctr.

Ramsey Canyon is very beautiful. Had rave reviews of Bisbee from several people but didn't make it there.

Hotel Congress looked really fun if you don't mind a bit of noise. I stayed in Armory Park area, not too far from the Convention Ctr, and saw a few other places around, including Royal Elizabeth B&B (might be expensive).
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your ideas! I hadn't thought about Tombstone and my mom was born in Bisbee in 1914 (I imagine it's changed though I've never been. I'll be looking at the other recommendations including the hotels and restaurants. Thanks so much. This is a big help. Oh, and I'll check out your blog, MikePinTucson.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Italirish28, Bisbee is an interesting day trip or you can stay over night at the historic Copper Queen Hotel.
It has attracted many artists who have shops there.
Tombstone's historical sites could have been preserved in a better way but it is still somewhat interesting. A book with a different slant is " Lady at the OK Corral."