Search

new york city, first time short trip with baby. HELP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new york city, first time short trip with baby. HELP

hi,

my husband and i will be traveling at the end of Jan with our 4 month old baby. It will be sun-tues night. I know it will be cold but still want to see a few attractions, mainly indoor attractions. We are staying in the financial district.

Any ideas on what we should see, baby friendly places to eat, how to travel around the city, etc.

We are from Chicago so are used to the weather and busy city life.

Thank you
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM

The best means of travel is subway (but be read to carry a stroller down several flights of stairs if you use one - a baby bjorn might be better) - since in Manhattan it runs at all hours and bad weather won;t stop it.

In midwinter - when hotel rates are in the cellar I wouldn't stay in the financial district - which is quite dead at night and doesn;t have a lot of dining options - esp baby friendly ones. I would head for the upper west side, which is a family neighborhood, and has a lot of restaurants where babies are welcome- esp if you dine early - 7 pm or so.

In that neighborhood the classics for little kids are the playgrounds in Central Park (if the weather allows), the zoo, the Museum of Natural History (it's always full of nannies pushing toddlers and smaller). You're also close to many of the other major museums -- right across the park - a brief walk in good weather - or the 79th St crosstown bus. (At a certain point a 4 month old will just sleep). You can also visit the New York Historical Society - which can be fascinating - and there are tons of shops and restaurants along all of the avenues - and 2 subway lines to head to other parts of the city. This is better than taking a 20 or 30 minute ride back to your hotel if you want to let baby have some relief from the cold.

The Beacon hotel has a couple of suites that are good for families, with basic kitchen facilities for dealing with baby's food 0 and snacks or even breakfast for yourselves.

Also, be aware than in midtown strollers on the street are an issue - there are so many people that all baby sees is knees and people tent to trip on it.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:41 AM

I agree with nytraveler. Unless you have business that needs to be done downtown, staying in the financial district at that time of year with an infant is a really poor choice. It's gets VERY windy down there and it's pretty far from most of the indoor activities you'd want to do. The construction at the WTC can also make it difficult to get around and weekend subway service down there is often disrupted for repairs. Why are you staying in the financial district? What hotel? Can you change it?

In the meantime, mommypoppins.com and gocitykids.com might be of use for you. There are certainly families that live in that area but I don't know much about restaurant options down there that would be kid friendly. The area really caters to the business people. Here's a relatively short list of kid friendly places in that area http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...sort/Rating-1/
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM

YOu might find some vintage F. Braun's at Cobblestones. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cobblestones-new-york
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:00 AM

Oops. That last post shouldn't be here. Wrong thread.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:53 AM

I would agree with the recommendation for the UWS. Also, what are things that interest you ? A 4 mon. old is just along for the ride ... pick a museum that would interest you, put her (him?) in the Baby Bjorn and tour away.