Notices

New York in Nov with 10 month old

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
bamakelly

New York in Nov with 10 month old

My mom and I will be spending three days in NYC in November (15-17th). We are taking my 10 month old son. This is not just a vacation; we have to go to a wedding nearby the previous weekend and just thought we'd take advantage of being so close to NYC to stop and stay a few days. We realize the limitation of taking my son, but we plan to choose only 2-3 things to do each day. She has never been to NYC before, so I am trying to choose wisely. How cold is it likely to be? Will Christmas displays be up yet? (Which are the best?) and any suggestions for our activities? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM
GoTravel

For me, weather has always been a crapshoot that time of year.

Some of the window decorations should be up. The tree doesn't get put up for a couple more weeks.

Make sure you layer. Do you have a trench coat or a nice leather coat? Unless you run into a cold snap, weather should be too warm for a heavy long wool overcoat.

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how you will be traveling - but a foldable stroller is really necessary (easily fits into the trunk of a cab and can be tucked in front of your knees on the bus). Subways are problematic because of the stairs.

Reco that you stay in a residential neighborhood (upper west side is one good choice) because the sidewalks will be less crowded than midtown - easier to stroller - and there are a lot of reasonable restaurants that are used to children - especially if you dine early.

And that way you are close to Central Park, the Met, the Museum of Natural History etc.

You can take the bus all the way downtown to grab a ferry to the Statue of Liberty (you don;t really need to get off since you can;t climb it any longr) and Ellis Island Immigration Museum - IMHO both not to be missed.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You haven't asked at all about a hotel so maybe you've already booked, but staying in an apt style hotel with kitchen facilities might be a good idea. I agree the upper west side is a good idea. The Beacon and the Milburn are 2 places to look at. The zoo in Central Park is a good idea. The Big Apple Circus might be fun for all of you although it's a 2 hr show. Here's the URL

http://www.bigapplecircus.com/Home/
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:40 AM
bamakelly

Very helpful; Thank you! I am checking out accomodations on the west side right away, and I will definitely check out the circus idea!

I plan to carry a lightweight umbrella-style stroller, and I am debating whether I need a weather shield or not for cold weather. (?)

Also, I know we'll be there before the tree goes up, but will there be any Christmas displays up yet? Any news on FAO Schwarz being open by then?

Thank you in advance! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about Fao but by all accounts Toys r Us in Times Square is a winner as is Dylan's Candy Bar (near Bloomingdales). You might start to see some Xmas decorations. Lord & Taylor is usually terrific but I think you'll be too early.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
bamakelly

Oh great news! I'm so glad to have alternatives to FAO Schwarz. Thanks so much! All of your suggestions are extremely helpful! Keep em coming!