Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tropical Island Destination: Suggestions for couple?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking of going somewhere tropical early next spring (low season). Looking for something very scenic, amazing colors and sights, adventure, off the beaten path, a little hiking, culture. No resort/touristy stuff. Never been anywhere tropic before. We're from the east coast so Hawaii is a little pricey and far, but we haven't ruled it out. We're netiher luxury, nor hostel. We're about at $$$. Any suggestions???? Looked on the map and saw a lot of cool places in the Carribean, but I don't know one from the other and we're sticklers for outstanding scenery.....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Costa Rica, doing a trip to both the beach and the inland mountain/rainforest areas. Would have the scenery, hiking, etc you are looking for.
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:18 AM

You should post this on the Caribbean forum as well. In the US, if you are willing to travel across the country, I would recommend Catalina Island, a beautiful island about 50 miles out between San Diego and LA. It wss the former spring training place for Chicago Cubs, as Wrigley family owned the island. It's very picturesque and reasonably priced. Do a search and I'm sure you will find tons of info.
In the Caribbean, take a look at St.Lucia, just a beautiful island. I also second Costa Rica. Jamaica is worth a look as well.
Good Luck!
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Early spring is not low season in tropical areas. Low season usually starts May-June in tropical places. (Tahiti is one exception because during our winter and early spring they're having rainy season).
For your requirements, best options are:
Bermuda (high temps only 69-71 in March-April, though)
St. John
St. Bart's
St. Lucia
Barbados
Big Island
Kauai
Maui
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Hi, we had a nice honeymoon cruise through the Carribean. Bahamas, Puerto Rico, St Thomas, and St. Maarten. Cancun and Cozumel are cheap. I think only St. Maarten was green and tropical though.

Hawaii is the most lush. I can help you find great Hawaii deals. Start at www.bestfares.com also you may like the prices of Outrigger or Aston hotels. A new Marriott Timeshare opened up in Ko'Olina and they keep offering great deals so they can show you a sales pitch.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Be careful with bestfares.com. It can be a very misleading site. The biggest problems are that the fares they advertise are frequently unavailable, they aren't upfront about all the taxes and fees they don't include in the ad fare (which can add literally hundreds of dollars on some overseas flights), and to get their fares you have to use a customer service phone line notorious for long waits and poor service. All this after you pay an annual fee to use the service. Bestfares borders on false advertising at times.