COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Looking for Hawaii in Caribbean

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Looking for Hawaii in Caribbean

New to the website and need your expert advise! My fiance and I are looking for Hawaii in the Caribbean for our honeymoon. We want to go to Hawaii, but we can not get out there first class and it is a long flight from the east coast to be crapped up after a hard night of partying on our wedding!

Looking for a lush island w/5 star resort (must have spa) that will pamper us silly! Would like to have some nightlife and great restaurants.

Considering Ocean Club or 4S Nevis. Suggestions appreciated.
P.S. Going Sept 6-13. (Hurricane season... I know, I know)
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

One more thing.. St. Bart's looks nice, but Eden Rock and Isle de France are closed. Any other suggestions? Will the island be dead in Sept?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM

I would definitely look into St. Lucia. The pitons are beautiful. When I went there it was sort of reminscent of Kaui. Good luck, Susan
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Keep in mind that St. Bart's airport is closing for renovations this Sep/Oct, accordingly most hotels will also close. Ferries from St. Martin will continue to operate but it's likely to be very dead.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Sunnyboy

Look into any of the islands from St. Lucia and south to minimize your exposure to hurricanes. Check out Raffles at Carneage Bay on Canouan, Palm Island Resort on Palm Island (both in the Grenadines) and Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia for starters.

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Having nothing to do with hurricane season..you may want to check and make sure these hotels are open and various restaurants and services are going to be fully operation. Sometimes in Sept. and Oct. resorts close down entirely. Sometimes they are open but not at full resort level-including staff-which make me the experience suffer.
on a side note, go to FS Nevis. I've been there before and plan on going back for my honeymoon!!! Its heavenly!!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Have you been to Hawaii before?
The reason I ask is that IMO the service at the best Hawaiian resorts surpasses the service at the best Caribbean resorts by a sizeable margin, so when you say you want to be pampered silly, I'm wondering what you'll be using as a reference.
I think the Ocean Club, for example, is a great Caribbean resort. Beautiful rooms, great uncrowded beach, etc. But the service, while very good by Caribbean standards, would be mid-range for Hawaii.
The beaches and water at many of the nicer Caribbean resorts are MUCH better than the best in Hawaii. That's the upside.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM

I think the service is also dependent on the size of the resort. One of the downsides to Hawaii (for me) is that there aren't any boutique luxury resorts. They tend to be larger chain properties of the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton variety. While the service is very polished at these resorts, it just doesn't feel as personalized to me as the smaller Caribbean properties. I've never had an issue with service at a Caribbean resort except at a Ritz Carlton.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Agree with St. Lucia. It is a volcanic isle like the Hawaiians and is quite lush. Try Sandals for your honeymoon. Congrats!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't chance it in the Caribbean in Sept. Do you realize if you hit it unlucky you will have disaster on your hands, maybe with no place to go or being caught in a nasty storm for days. That's not to mention that a lot of things on any of the islands will be closed. They aren't stupid.

Go to Hawaii. If you don't do it now you may not get the chance for years. It's a very special place.... and I'm not talking Oahu, I'm talking Kauai, Maui and the Big Island. If you have 2 weeks, just do it. I wouldn't touch the Caribbean until late Oct./early Nov. You never know if this is the year they have multiple storms or one big nasty.

I have another idea that just flashed into my head. The dollar has been hit with a brick but European countries got a problem because they depend somewhat on tourist income. I'm seeing some very enticing deals for Europe on Travelzoo.com. What about an island in the Mediterranean like Crete, Sicly, Greek Islands, the Costa del Sol in Spain... or perhaps Majora or Minorca islands off the coast of Spain, the Canary Islands. September is Europe is the best time to go. Don't just limit your ideas to the Caribbean that time of year with it's potential hurricane problems. This should be a wonderful memory for the two of you that will get you thru the tough times, not a nightmare.

BTW, I was married on the Makena Beach in Maui. The trip is long but it's not that bad. If you have been partying you will sleep a good part of the way anyway if you go to Hawaii. Ask your family if they have any extra award points they could give you to upgrade to biz class or 1st class.... or ask for points as a bridal/engagement gift. I would rather have that than an 8 piece luncheon set anyway, how about you?
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:15 PM

I agree with Hawaii being a very special place and worth the long trip. I understand you want to fly 1st class, but as far as I'm concerned, the long trip is worth it.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses! I have been to Hawaii twice, my fiance has not been. I agree with all of the posts and think we are going to have to suck it up and head to Hawaii!

Being directly affected by Isabel last year, I don't really need to worry about another hurricane for a VERY long time!!

Thanks alot! You guys are great!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I am so glad you made the choice to go to Hawaii. We just came back 5 days ago from spending 14 days at the Hyatt on Kauai. It was magnificent, very lush and the Hyatt had an amazing spa. Many wonderful restaurants around and no hurricanes since 1992. With all due respect to those who suggested St. Lucia - that was the only island we have ever disliked and found Kauai to be NOTHING like it. We will be doing many rewinds in our heads of how romantic it was. Congratulations!