US Virgin Islands or Bahamas

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Virgin Islands or Bahamas

I'm trying to decide where to go for our next tropical vacation. The ONLY tropical place I have ever been is Hawaii(Maui, Oahu, Big Island) and we really truly love Hawaii were just there in May 2005. We are planning our next vacation for sometime between December(2006) and January(2007). We really like snorkeling, and being by the ocean. The only thing we HATED about Hawaii was how expensive it was to go out to eat and have drinks. Can someone recommend someplace in the Carribean which reminds them more of Hawaii but without the high costs? Whats the difference between the Bahamas and St. Thomas?

Thanks!!!

TJ in Wisconsin
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:04 AM

We've been to Hawaii (on our honeymoon), St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Nassau and Harbour Island (off Eleuthera). Let me first say that, like Hawaii, none of these places is inexpensive especially during high season when you are planning to travel. You can certainly find inexpensive places to eat in all of them; however, the nicer restaurants will be pricey.

I would not recommend Nassau as it is quite commercialized and we did not enjoy Atlantis.

Harbour Island was terrific but the December/January weather, as I understand it, will be iffy.

You would probably be happiest on St. John. It is the most lush, undeveloped island and is quite beautiful. There are many posts here about places to stay depending on your budget so you might want to check it out.

St. Thomas is great if you want more action both during the day and at night. There are some nice resorts. It's not a place, however, that I need to go back to. personal preference.

St. Croix is more like Maui with more poverty and a big refinery in the middle. There is a rainforest but much of the island is hilly and dry. Beaches are quite nice. Great restaurants and some nice hotels. Those on the board know that this is our favorite spot because we love the Buccaneer hotel. But it's not for everyone.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

You said that St. John is "lush". I think you might have narrowed it down right there. What we want is paradise. Maui to me was paradise, but Maui is getting so commercialized which i HATE!!! Why can't they put up a law so nothing more can be built? (I heard Kauai has a law that no buildings can be built higher than a palm tree). We want a laid back island. Not so crowded, where the beaches are wonderful, the snorkeling is good, and we dont have to spend a ton of money to get a decent meal. Im going to start digging on St. John. THanks for the tips!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Ok I'm deciding between St. John and Kauai..haha..what huge differences in location!

Do any of the Virgin Islands have rainforests? I guess thats one thing I LOVED about Maui(Hawaii) was that we could go exploring in so many places. It was nice to leave the beach now and then and see the interiors of the island.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM
cdt

St. Croix has a small area that is referred to as a "rain forest" but I have always questioned the terminology.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM

ThomasJohn,
You really missed out by not going to Kauai.It really sounds like what you are looking for.

I have been to Kauai and St John.I love both for different reasons.The snorkeling in St John was a little better than Kauai.

St John would be a closer match to Hawaii than the Bahamas.Bahamas are flat and St John is mountainous and lush.

If you cannot go to Kauai...definitely go to St Thomas or St John.Maybe check out Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands...it is said to be even more laid back than St John!Good Luck!!

Christie
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I guess that it also depends on which is the longer flight for you...as to where you will go.Are you closer to St John or Kauai?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM

We love Hawaii, too..several islands several times. We wanted something a little closer this time, and like one of the previous posts, are going to BVI - Tortola.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Greetings, TJ! What about the lush mountains of St Lucia? I've been to and love St John (and have been to all the Hawaiian islands you mention, as well as to Kauai) but in photos, St. Lucia (which I've yet to visit) looks more like Kauai or the windward side of Oahu, than does St John.
There's an article about St Lucia in this months's Budget Travel magazine.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Hi TJ,
At the risk of being called names, nothing in the Caribbean looks like Hawaii. We, too, love it there, although Kauai is our personal favorite. There is a big difference between the Bahama's and STT. You would be smart to investigate further into the USVI as I'm not sure you would find the Bahama's to your liking. We live in MN and found the trip to be about equal in length. Cali mentioned St. Lucia. This is the only island we have NOT liked. However, we leave in two weeks for Nevis which DOES have a rain forest and I have heard people compare it to Hawaii. It may be worth your time to check further into that. I will be doing a trip report in the beginning of Feb after my return if you are interested.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Knowing,
Have a wonderful trip to Nevis...if it's anything like Kauai..it will be on my list! I look forward to your trip report.

Christie
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Here's another one to throw in the mix...Riviera Maya in Mexico. You get rainforests, ruins, water sports and lazing on the beach. Or how about Belize? Just some other options.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:08 AM

O.K. TJ...it all sounds wonderful, and it is...my only argument is try something different!! Some people love Hawaii and not the caribbean and vice versa. You've got to try to see for yourself. I love them both for different reasons. Hawaii is clean, lovely, the "disney" of tropical travel. The caribbean is a little more adventurous. The water and beaches (again, St. John, my favorite) are even more beautiful than Hawaii. The services in the cartibbean can be a little less reliable, but more interesting. There is a much more laid back atmosphere here. Both Kauai and St. John will take your breath away. Now cost issues.. if at all possible avoid the ultimate rip-off of holiday travel. You will pay 35% more to fight the crowds. Another caribbean advantage..instead of $500 a night for the Hyatt Kauai, rent a small villa in St. John or the BVI for even less. The Bvi's also have lots of small, casual hotels. Pack nothing but shorts and t-shirts and relax. I would not go to St. Thomas unless I were a Ritz Carlton girl. Also, a note on the Turks and Caicos, fabulous beach, but not at all lush. Good luck, continue to talk to people here, they know more than most.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:38 AM

We love St John, and would not consider an island destination that did not have steller views. STJ has many smaller islands surrounding the north and west shores, and of course watching the setting sun with the twinkeling lights of St Thomas in the background is breathtaking. The beaches and snorkeling are the best I've found anywhere, and the food is quite good. Most vacationers who have been to STJ more than once rent a villa. Very private, very romantic, and the most bang for your buck. Try to find one with at least a hot tub. Nights are usuallly to cool to pool it, but a great glass of wine and a hot, hot tub can't be beat.