St. John vs. Maui/Kauai

Search

St. John vs. Maui/Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John vs. Maui/Kauai

Has anyone been to all of these islands? How do they compare (i.e., snorkeling, weather, beaches, dining, scenery). I've been to Maui and Kauai a couple of times and I'm wondering if I will be disappointed when I get to St. John in early August.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 05:29 AM

I have not been to St. John in years, but from what I've read, it won't have nearly the restaurant selection that is on Maui or Kauai.
The snorkeling is spectacular on St. John, but then it's great in Hawaii. The same goes for the beaches.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM

NO, you won't be disappointed in SJ. But, you are going during the rain/hurricane season, not that you will, but you could have some weather problems. Good Luck--relax, you'll love it.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Have been to both. In my opinion St John has nicer beaches and better snorkling. The water is calm and turquoise colored whereas Hawaii has rougher surf - more like California. Hawaii definitely has more daytime activities. If you go to St John try to stay within a few miles of the town of Cruz Bay - it is a very colorful town full of excellent restaurants and fun bars. There is a french restaurant (I forget the name) that sits at the highest point on the island with incredible views. I do not think you would be at all disappointed - we went to St John after three trips to Hawaii and loved it. Only possible drawback as mentioned by a previous poster is that August is in the hurricane season - but that is a long shot.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:30 AM

We visit St. John and HI annually - St. John in November and HI in Feb/March. Kauai and St. John are our two favorite islands in the world. The snorkeling and waters of the Virgins, both U.S. and BVIs are incomparable. We are island people and have found no beaches that compare to St. John's 52 beaches. The waters offer clarity not found in the Hawaiian islands and the snorkeling is so easy as compared to entering some of the waters in HI, but HI has an ambiance all its own. We live near the east coast so the trip to STJ is a breeze compared to HI, however, we had given up on the Caribbean until we "discovered" St. John 7 years ago and have returned every year since. The weather has been impeccable during our trips to STJ - maybe a short sprinkle and Kauai's weather, for example, can be an adventure esp. the North shore in the winter, but we have found Maui's weather to be more dependable, however Kauai is our favorite for the spectacular beauty that the island has to offer and the incredible hiking. St. John is only 28 sq. miles and two thirds is National Virgin Forest. Therefore, the island is mainly undeveloped with only two hotels and wonderfully magnificent villas to rent which are relatively reasonable. We find the dining to be more than adequate for the time we spend on St. John, but it will not compare with Maui simply because of the size.

You will love St. John and, in no way will you be disappointed as long as the weather cooperates and I think it will. Where are you staying on St. John? I have a list of our fav restaurants and beaches that I've passed on to many of my friends who have visited (none were in the least disappointed). I will be more than happy to send them to you.

Karen
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:54 AM

We travel to St. John every year (in August) and will do so again this year. We LOVE it. It is one of our favorite places in the world. Unbeatable water and just a great please for pure relaxation. As Karen mentioned, the majority of the restaurants on the island are very good -- we were never disappointed (though I think we did hit the Lime Inn on an off night). Last August we only had one morning shower which lasted 3-4 minutes and one afternoon where it actually rained for a couple of hours. No big deal since it cooled things off nicely.

Go and enjoy!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:56 AM

Typo -- that should read great "place" not great "please". Sorry.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:41 AM

I have been to all three, and love all three, but for different reasons. St. John is much quieter, smaller but as other posters have said, has by far the best beaches and snorkeling--even I, who am notorious about being afraid to get in water over my head, went snorkeling there and enjoyed it.
Kauai is my favorite Hawaiian island, mainly because I just think it is very pretty.
Maui is best if you want a wide variety of things to do, shopping, and places to go.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM
iceeu2

Hi Karen and others,
Where is St. John? And what is the best search for it, etc. Sounds like a place we might like..since we sure do love that Kauai.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:19 PM

St. John is 1 of 3 islands that make up the US Virgin Islands. It is not far from Puerto Rico. Check the Caribbean forum for more info.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM
rasnes5

It is 2/3 national park, not to worry there are excellent restaurants-Chateau Bordeaux with terrific views is one-Asolare is another. If you are dissapointed-call me-I'll buyout your time! Best snorkeling here,IME, next to Tavernier Florida.

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. St. John sounds great! I'll have to save it for my next trip though... turns out I got a great deal on an all-inclusive to Ocho Rios at the Renaissance Jamaica Grand and by the time we made up our minds about St. John, the deal we saw was sold out - Westin. Anyway, thanks again. Oh, btw, I take it if it's hurricane season in St. John, the same would be true of Jamaica? Am I correct? Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again. Can you guys tell me about your experiences at Ocho Rios and/or the Renaissance Grande?