LOVE St. John - will I LOVE Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our FAVORITE island (so far) is USVI - St. John. We love it for the magnificent, lush, hilly terrain, pristine beaches which have gentle, clear waters with FANTASTIC snorkeling.

We would like to go someplace different for our next vacation which will be the summer of 2006. I was considering Alaska, but am really not liking the idea of going someplace in the summer where I may need to sport gloves and knit hat (you know, those glaciers)!

Will we love Hawaii? How is the snorkeling from the beach? I've heard the water is rough there... much rougher than St. John? More like the beaches in NJ (where I live)? Is the water there cold?

Which islands would be a tropical paradise to me? Maui? Kauai?

Help me decide!

Thanks!!!

Lisa
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:25 AM

Lisa, I noticed on a previous post you were on St. John in March. We are going for the first time in three weeks. Did you post a trip report? I am a Hawaii (esp. Kauai) lover and am curious how I will like St. John in comparison. I imagine the snorkeling and the coral to be better on St. John with calmer water. Of course that always depends on the weather conditions. I would definitely concentrate on North Shore Kawaii if you like lush hilly terrain and pristine beaches.
Maggi
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:45 AM

Lisa,Kauai has always been our favorite of the Hawaiian Islands.Like Maggi said it's alot more 'lush' and 'greener'.It has alot to offer people who are active or someone looking for some R&R.
Maggi,I've been to both Hawaii and St Thomas/St John. I went to Hawaii 5 times before I decided to try someplace different.I'm sooo glad I did.St John is such a beautiful island with great beaches and snorkeling!! You will love St John!
We also loved Hawaii but it is such a long way to go from Upstate NY. It only takes about 3 1/2 hours to the wonderful island of St John.
We are going again this summer and can't wait!
We love St John as much as Hawaii....
Debbie
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:46 AM

Hi! I am in the vice versa boat of you.

I went to Kauai in May 02 and let me tell you..if you want something absolutely gorgeous..I highly recommend the island of Kauai.It is not over commercialized like some of the other Hawaiian islands.You are like me as you like fantastic snorkeling..so you will love Kauai.

I am not sure during later summer what the water is like in Kauai..but when we went the beaches on the North Shore were the calmer ones where the ones on the South where a little rougher.One of my good friends use to live there (lucky her!)she says during winter that the South Shore beaches are the calmer.

Must do's on Kauai:

Kee' Beach for snorkeling in North shore..go early as it gets a little busier the later you go.

Queens Bath..its near Princeville also North Shore.It is a wonderful natural pool with some good snorkeling.

Secrets Beach..North as well..its a little hike but worth it.I took some of the best pictures here.

Kilelua lighthouse-also near Princeville.

Opekea Falls(spelling??)beautiful.

Wailea Falls..even more beautiful.very photogentic.

Waimea Canyon-the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

Also the Napali Coast-we never hiked it but my friend says it is a must.

A nice central location to find a hotel is Kapaa.We stayed at Rosewoods B&B.Website is www.rosewoodkauai.com.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
Christie
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:52 AM

I forgot to mention..Spouting Horn on the South shore is a neat place to visit..its a lava tube that shots water into the air..very neat.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:53 AM

Also if you love St.John I think that you would love Kauai better than Maui as it is not as developed as Maui.Still has alot to do though.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:03 AM

To answer another of your questions.During summer the water is not cold in Kauai.The temp is usually in the 80s so the water is perfect.

We live in NC and got our air tickets for $750 each..maybe by next summer the cost of air will come down some so you can find a good deal.Trust me..the long flight is well worth the trip to Kauai.Snorkeling from the beaches is awesome Lydgate Park has a nice cove to snorkel that is really calm.
Sorry to keep rambling on...we just loved Kauai!!!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:35 AM

Hi1
We have been to both places each 3 time and love each one. Although Kauai is my favorite but as someone said we live in NY and St. John is much closer. Put a vacation in Hawaii is wonderful so much to do and see. Kauai is really the true Hawaii. Enjoy
Karen
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:03 AM

We have been to both and liked the views from STJ, but we LOVED the greenery in Kauai. Hawaii is beautiful, but Kauai is spectacular. You can relax next to the pool, hike, enjoy the wonderful restaurants and all the other activities. In the summer, you would be comfortable staying on the north shore. Enjoy!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Make sure you choose the correct shore to snorkel from on Kauai. As mentioned the shore that is calmest depends on the time of year. My wife still has scars on her leg from being bashed into the rocks at one of the recommended snorkeling spots on the south end close to the Hyatt. The waves were just too powerful for good snorkleing. However, at the north shore the water was very calm. This was in September.

I still think the best snorkeling over all is in the Caribbean however (have not yet been to south Pacific though).