Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

TripAdvisor-two totally, and I mean TOTALLY, different reviews!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to rent a condo from VRBO and decided to see if the resort this unit was in had any comments on TripAdvisor. In May there was an awful review of a unit-couldn't have gotten much worse! Then in July there was a fantastic review of the same unit-exactly the same unit number. Like night and day! Is it possible when an owner gets an awful review, either they or a friend, put in a glowing review to counter the awful one? There were only two reviews of this specific unit so I have no clue which one to believe!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Of course it is possible for owner to post own review. That id why references for anything are better looked at with some suspicion. Remember the discussion on this board some weeks back that perhaps it was owners of properties recommending them here.

I think people are much more likely to post a bad review than a good one. And if the bad review was specific in its complaints, then I would look elsewhere.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM

I'd be suspicious, Bashful...and I too was thinking that the owners placed a positive review themselves. If it were me, I would probably look into another rental and maybe get references...

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I would assume some owners do post good reviews. I know it happens with apartment rating sites too. But that doesn't mean in this instance that's what happened. I've worked in customer service positions sometimes, and I know that what one person finds just awful another doesn't mind. I also know that sometimes places have bad nights/weeks/etc. You never know with online reviews! They could be right on or they could be way off!

Try soliciting reviews elsewhere, and then you'll just need to go with your instinct.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Did the person who wrote a bad review give details? Are they things that were/were not in control of the owner (out of owner's control: it rained everyday, there was a blackout when lightning hit the power transformer; can control: housekeeping did a lousy job so owner hired a different crew).

I'd bring up the review with the owner. See what the owner says and have a backup plan ready.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Have you checked on slowtrav.com? Curious if there are any other reviews there.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I would go with ncgrrl's advice. Bad reviews can also be posted by someone who just has a bone to pick with that particular owner.

And, as mentioned, something I think is fantastic you might think is awful, and vice versa. Definitely talk to the owner about any specifics the bad review mentioned, and if you're still not comfortable after that, try to find another unit if possible.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I think it's hard for us to comment without knowing specifically what was said. I like to think I can often read between the lines of reviews. Often someone will complain about how rude they were when they asked to be moved to a larger room (maybe there were none available?) or complain that there was too much noise in the street (what do you expect when you book facing Times Square?), etc.
But if one review talks about the rusted out sink in the bathroom and the air conditioning that made whirring noises all night and the mildew growing in the bathtub, followed by another review that says everything was spotless, then I'd question.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes it's hard to say without knowing the details of your example.

There are several budget hotels that I love, that also get negative posts on a regular basis. To me these are from people with unrealistic expectations from a bargain hotel room. But you can tell the reviews are sincere and from real guests.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I give weight to negative comments on www.tripadvisor.com even when they appear in otherwise favorable reviews. For instance, I don’t want to stay in a place with a “rude staff” no matter how desirable it is otherwise. Other words and phrases that get my attention include “dirty,” “noisy,” “dark,” “crummy,” “mosquitoes,” “roaches,” “foul smelling,” “small room,” “inconvenient location,” and “uncomfortable bed.”

I think that since the writer of the glowing review took the UNUSUAL precaution of including the unit number that appeared in the unfavorable review, it is logical to infer that it was written by somebody with a vested interest in the property (or at least the unit).
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM

I pretty much agree, happytrails, except that I don't quickly react to the "rude staff" comment. That's partly because I've seen that comment so many times for hotels where I've stayed repeatedly and found the staff to be absolutely wonderful. I do know that often staff will turn rude when treated rudely, and from the tone of some of the complaining posts, I often suspect that the staff was approached in a rude manner by the complainer. I've stood by hotel check-in counters listening to far more rude customers than rude staff, for example.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Speaking of bad rentals, my real estate licensing magazine had a long blurb on Anini Beach Vacation REntals Inc, dba Cequis, Kauai and its owner, Celeste Miranda. She had a whole long string of violations- taking deposits and not honoring reservations, forging contracts, ripping off rental owners and TA's and lots more.

Hope none of us fodorites were affected.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rude staff is one complaint I would not give much credence too. Because it is much more subjective IMO than something like the A/C didn't work.

I have the experience that rude people find rude staff wherever they go. I saw this comment about one of my favorite hotels that is nothing but friendly, welcoming, and takes great care of me when I'm there. Go figure.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Yes - owners may post fake reviews. But I have seen many bad reviews that seemed to be the result of either inappropriate expectations - or bad attitudes on the part of the guest.

Without knowing the details - it's very hard to say. But I would definitely search for more info - and ask the owner - before booking.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Apparently rude people take to their bosoms those they recognize to be a kindred spirit--those that claim they high ground while condescending to others. Charming? I think not. Purblind? For certain.

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Patrick,

You're right. In fact, I've never been treated rudely by anybody working for a hotel or motel. It was a bad example. However, I do read TripAdvisor reviews carefully and heed words that set off an alarm.

Ditto with guidebooks: "some small rooms" and "exterior corridors," are phrases that send me looking for some place else to stay.

Now, with any luck somebody will write a post explaining why I am wrong. Perhaps I'll learn why small rooms and exterior corridors are more desirable than large rooms and interior corridors or perhaps why one should not be concerned about such details.

Happy Trails
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:51 AM

Tripadvisor does allow owner/manager responses to horrid property reviews and the few I've read seemed reasoned, and ring true.

We love travel to New Orleans so I'm always reviewing comments on that board on tripadvisor. There are two or three really nasty NO hotels that gather fistfuls of bad reviews, and then great reviews immediately following. Makes me think that property owners are tracking comments and trying to offset them by stealth.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 04:24 AM

I'll admit I've wondered whetehr some glowing reviews were ringers. But I've also wondered whether some terrible reviews were written by competitors.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Jed

bashful - It would be helpful to point us to the exact reviews that you are discussing. That way we could better judge them.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

If you look in Tripadvisor under Kauhale Makai (Village by the Sea), you'll see the first "glowing" review for unit 510..further down is an awful review, saying "very low budget", etc. ..thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -