Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip with College daughter to Washington D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a few months back regarding a spring break trip with my college daughter. Her friends are all going somewhere else or have other plans and those at other schools have finals and of course, don't want visitors.

I'm contemplating Washington D.C. as I can get a pretty inexpensive flight on Sun Country (but I think they only fly to one). I'm not sure of what airport to fly into or where to stay that would be safe for two women. Also, suggestions on how to get around, etc. We've never been there.

The trip would be M-F March 11-15 so I'm expecting the weather will be on the cool side or possibly snow. We could also delay the trip until May when she's out of school for the summer (but I know she wants to go somewhere spring break - another possibility is Chicago (never been either!).
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM

If you fly into Reagan you can take the Metro into DC. The Metro is clean, safe and cheap to get around.

Use Priceline to get a hotel room. Use the areas close to the mall for bidding. I've walked alot in the areas around the mall and have never felt unsafe.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Sun Country flies into Dulles. Not as handy as National, but still accessible to the city via express bus or taxi.

I agree with the advice to bid on Priceline.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suggest you look in the Dupont Circle area for a hotel. There are more fun restaurants there. The mall area can be very quiet at night.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM

I agree with Birdie, Dupont Circle is buzzing at night, with lots of good restaurants and shops open late. I think there is a Marriott right there.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Would we be better off flying into Reagan? I could look for flights but I don't know if I can beat the Sun Country price...
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM

From National to Dupont Circle will be about $20 by taxi or $2/person on Metro. From Dulles to downtown expect to pay $60 for a taxi or use an inconvenient shuttle service or public transport (range from $6-20/person). In addition to cost, there's the time and hassle factor -- DCA is much less chaotic than IAD.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:28 AM

It could be a tad cool in March, but I would not anticipate that it will be cold enough for snow. In the 38 yrs I have lived in the DC area, I only recall a couple of snows after end of Fed.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I may have to rethink this..... Reagan sounds like a better airport to fly into.... The air cost is a significant factor though - over $125 per person difference by flying into Dulles.

But... the hassle factor - not sure it's worth saving the $. I'm going to keep checking - maybe I'll find a cheaper flight into Reagan. Thanks everyone!