Trip to New England from UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two energetic senior couples travelling from UK on 10th Sept until 8 Oct. We are flying in and out of JFK. For the past 20 plus years we have visited the USA but never been to the North Eastern states, our plan is to visit New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. We intend to take a property through a vacation rentals company as a base in the three states. We enjoy hiking/walking, wild life viewing and non-touristy areas. We will collect a hire car at JFK, can anyone help with the easiest route to take and which area to visit first. We thought about a couple of days in Boston but the hotels seem to be very expensive so we might give that a miss. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Just a note, you are coming at a very expensive time since many people travel to those states for "leafing peeping"..
The leaves changing colors provide for beautiful vistas so there are lots of visitors.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:04 PM

You will be too early for the elusive "peak color" but that doesn't mean there won't be color or that your desire to book a house or condo is not a good one.

With a month, I might go for two places: one on the Maine coast between Portland and Camden; the second near Stowe, Vermont. From the latter, you can cover a lovely state from the Canadian border to Massachusetts. From the former, you can see the fascinating coast and venture into the most scenic areas of New Hampshire.

When you get farther in your plans, let us know. The basic idea is a winner.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would probably do Boston last, as in early October Maine will get a bit chilly, and more and more restaurants and shops will be shutting down as the weeks go on. But early May is beautiful up there.

Or , do you mean that you are booking one vacation property for three weeks as a base in New England?
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Can you fly in and out of Boston instead? Then spend a few nights in the city using public transportation before renting a car to drive north.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beverly Garden Suites, north of Boston, is an alternative to staying in Boston, the commuter train is nearby to go in and out of the city, just avoid the morning and evening rush hours.
Another option for just-out-of-the-city/lower priced accommodation is the Inn at Crystal Cove. From here you'd have to take the Point Shirley bus into the blue line Metro. Nice spot if you think you'd enjoy the harbor outside of the city.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Touring all of New England from one central point will be very difficult. Granted it's not a large as Texas - but New England is as large an the UK and Scotland - and you can imagine trying to see all of that area from one central spot.

I really suggest you pick 2 spots for 2 weeks each or perhaps 3 spots - to avoid such lengthy drives on country roads with limited speed limits.

And do not miss Boston - there are hotel bargains to be had and it is a wonderful city in terms of both history (cradle of the Revolution) and arts/museums.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 01:42 AM

I agree that Boston would make more sense for an airport.

September weather is usually wonderful. Days can be warm. Be careful when hiking because higher elevations are cooler and there is more danger of hypothermia when weather seems warm but can change suddenly.

For Maine, I would suggest some place in the mid-coast area north of Portland. We like the Wiscasset area since you can easily go north or south. Visiting Acadia would be a very long day trip should you want to do that. After Labor Day (first weekend in Sept) some of the popular lobster shacks are only open on weekends but you'll still be able to find lobster at the many restaurants around.

You should be able to find a cottage rental on one of NH's lakes since weeks in September aren't as popular as summer. If you picked something on the north side of Lake Winnipesaukee such as Meredith, Moultonborough, Center Harbor of Wolfboro, you would be an easy drive to NH's White Mountains. Wolfboro would give you better access to the eastern side and places like North Conway (touristy). Meredith in near I93. Although it is also touristy, it's not as busy as North Conway. You would have the convenience of shops and restaurants but you would also be close to beautiful, quiet towns like Center Sandwich. See the website for Squam Lakes Science Center. You would probably enjoy visiting there. If you could get a rental on Squam Lake, that would be very nice. There's very little public access to this lake so cottages have more privacy and the lake is more quiet.

Twice we have seen a black bear near the road in the Center Sandwich area. You also have a good chance of seeing deer.

Check NH Audubon hawk watch information. We live very close to one of the hawk watch places where you can see the annual migration but we haven't visited. It might be in October but while you are on the website, you can see what activities you might be able to join in on.

For VT, it's a hard decision. Burlington is a vibrant small city on the shores of Lake Champlain. You can drive north and then south over the Hero Islands and be back in Burlington in time for lunch. I like Brandon VT in the central section a lot since it seems to be home to a lot of artists. Check to see when they do their harvest people. Most of VT seems to be much quieter than NH and Maine. There is lovely rolling farmland on the west side of the state along Lake Champlain.

If you purchase a state atlas and gazetteer from Delorme for each state, you will have a very detailed road map with locations of covered bridges, waterfalls, etc. It's good to use when you are in a particular area. The atlases are too detailed to use as general road maps but if you like to plot a drive on backroads, they are perfect. Most large gas stations, bookstores and supermarkets stock them. If you got a wine/cheese/ice cream trail map for each state, it would help you plan some fun drives without going on the busy highways. It's going to be those backroads where you are most likely to see some wildlife.

I think one of our most favorite boat rides has been the inland rivers cruise out of Portsmouth NH. Portsmouth is probably only an hour from Boston via I95 and you would have to pass through it on the way to Maine. Consider doing a couple of motel nights. For example. Arrive in Boston, go to Portsmouth. Great walking place. Take a boat ride the next morning. Then continue on to Maine.

A good place to get a lot of information about New England is Yankee Magazine's website.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your valuable comments. Just to clarify our lodging situation, the plan is to take 8 days each in 3 rentals in NH, V & Maine leaving four spare days for overnighters along the way. We have an option on a property near the White Mountains in Franconia NH and I am now trawling the rentals websites for the other bases using your recommendations. Thank you.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 06:33 AM

If it is near Franconia it is probably one of the many ski areas that rent out condos, etc year round now. If you Google some combination of ski areas + condos + NH or VT you will probably get good info.

Since you talk of 3 stops, I might pick Burlington, VT; Portland, Maine; and someplace in mountains of NH for the 3rd place - that would give you a good overview of small cities, ocean, mountains - you could find plenty to do with a few days in each place and venturing into the countryside by car.

While dfrostnh and I generally agree on most things New England, one thing we consistently disagree on is maps versus GPS. I would buy a GPS when you get here (you can rent them from the car rental place, but at about $15/day it is cheaper to buy a $100 GPS. I did that once and sold it to some guy at the airport on my way out for half what I paid for it). A GPS allows you to meander along all sorts of roads without looking at a map - and then have reasonable assurance you will be able to find your hotel again later in the day.

Since you likely already have tickets, no sense giving advice about airports. Would you consider taking Amtrak train from NYC to Boston, spending a day or so in Boston, and then picking up a rental car on your way out of town? While nothing as nice as European trains, Amtrak along this corridor is tolerable - and part of the 4-5 hour trip has some nice views (although much is industrial, used car lots, etc). It is likely going to be a little less expensive to rent a car Boston-Boston than NYC-NYC.

Hotels in Boston are quite expensive - and October has many Parents' Weekends events at the many local universities, local fall events - so not a cheap time to get hotel rooms. But if you have never been, even 1 or 2 nights would be worth it - as long as you stay in the actual tourist/downtown area and not some remote location.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 02:45 AM

Hey Gail, I admit to using my new iPad to do some navigating using googlemaps. I was very impressed with a friend's TomTom when we had to navigate Midway to downtown Chicago to St Charles BUT
we've had people have trouble with their GPS trying to get to our house. Driving instructions are simple but if someone relies on their GPS, some have been directed on non-maintained town roads. Last year someone coming from the north was directed down the north end of the road DS and DIL live on except in the late 70s or early 80s, the town dumped a huge pile of gravel on the town line to prevent people from using it as a thru road.

If you use a Delorme atlas, you can see what roads are there and what might be on the road. For example, the seasonal Sandwich Notch Road in NH isn't very scenic but not far off the road is a lovely small waterfall. You can plot an interesting route. A GPS usually takes you on the most traveled routes. Googlemaps always directs me to use Rt 101 to go to Portsmouth instead of much more scenic Rt 4. During foliage weekends, if we notice more than usual traffic on an alternate state route, we know it's because traffic is slowing down/backed up on I93. A decent map shows you ahead of time that you can avoid miles of I93 and the bottlenecks.

Besides, it's fun to get lost sometimes!
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:48 AM

With 3 bases, I'd choose one eastern spot, one central, and one western.

For the western spot, I'd choose the Hanover/Lebanon NH area, instead of Burlington VT. Hanover is a charming college town, and there are numerous trips that are a relatively short drive from there (the St Gaudens national historic site is a great -- and now well known -- treasure, Woodstock VT is a lovely little town, etc.).

For the central spot, I'd choose either one of the lakes or White Mountain spots mentioned by others.

For the eastern spot, Ackislander's suggestion of Maine's coast between Portland and Camden is perfect. Camden is a picturesque town, with plenty of places to visit within a few hours drive.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure how it will work in the off/shoulder season, but most rentals are going to be 1 week, and you may not be able to do 8 days at each (I'm assuming you meant 8 nights). Why not 7 days each, and leave yourself 3 nights for Boston? Or maybe someplace else, like Newport RI?

Also, highly recommend flying into Boston. Its a shorter flight from London, than New York, and surely not much more expensive. We have non-stops on Virgin and BA. It will shorten your driving time considerably, and your traffic headaches.