trip report to NY with 2 kids

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip report to NY with 2 kids

Arrived in NY on Thursday with 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter for a spring break trip. We checked into The Iroquois on 44th between 5th and 6th. A wonderful, small hotel on a quiet street. Close to everything. Times Square a few blocks away, Grand Central Station a few block away. Great location. The service was terrific! Room very clean but small. OK because we were on the run the entire trip. We went right to Times Square to visit Madame Trussards museum. They loved all the celebrities and were very entertained. We then went to Toys R US. We rode the 5 story ferris wheel which was also fun. The kids loved all the action in Times Square. We went to dinner at Becco on 46th between 8th and 9th. Great food and cozy seating. We woke up next day and left early to visit Statue of Liberty. Very different since I haven't been since 9/11. My suggestion is go first thing in the morning. I had no idea it would take us so long to visit. We took the subway to Battery Park and waited in line to pick up our will call tickets that I ordered online. A must again since the line was so long to buy tickets. I also puchased access to go up into the statue which was great since it was a clear day. We then waited again to go through security to get onto the ferry. Then again security to go up into Statue. All in, at least 3 1/2 hours to do it all. We then toured Wall Street, World Trade Center Memorial and had lunch at Fraunces Tavern. Food was OK, just a classic old tavern that George Washington had lunch at. Continued on to the subway to Brooklyn. Toured since my husband lived there out of college. Walked along the promenade and walked across back to Manhatten. Beautiful and worth the mile! Went to dinner that night at TAO. A great, hot asian/sushi restaurant that was happening. Kids loved as well as my husband! Went to see Hairspray which was fun and good for everyone. Saturday, had breakfast at local diner next to hotel, I think, Red Flame. Great diner food! And, relatively inexpensive for New York. Toured Museum of Modern Art, Top of the World, NBC Rockefeller Center and grabbed awesome corned beef sandwiches at Carnegie Deli. Took them over to picnic at Central Park. Had fun people watching and rented row boats on a beautiful day. Shopped on Fifth Avenue on our walk back to the hotel. The hotel has a full supply of great movies for the kids which are free which was terrific. My daughter and I got tickets for Mary Poppins and my husband and son saw Spamalot. Loved Mary Poppins! The boys also loved Spamalot. HAd a late dinner at Orso, again on 46th between 8th and 9th. Ok food but it was late and just what we needed at 11 p.m. Sunday--went to brunch at Sarabeth's. Along central park I think on 59th. Wonderful food and again great people watching! My daughter and I visited SOHO for some shoppping and my husband and son visited Museum of Natural History. They met up with us for some New York pizza at Amore. Then checked out after an exhausting and great weekend. We had a blast--great city and loads to do. I think we showed the kids a bunch and ate many wonderful meals.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM

Wow...you guys did the equivalent of an ironman. thanks for posting!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:47 AM

Since we're going there next week (13 and 16 yr old girls) I decided to make a reservation at TAO. Looks awesome and it's close to our hotel.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
GoTravel

Wow! I'm exhausted just reading your trip report!

Great report!

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad you all enjoyed the report because we had a great time and really showed the kids New York. I always get great ideas from everyone else here so thought I'd share my ideas! Enjoy Tao!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Do you think it was worth the trouble to actually go into the Statue of Liberty? I've been told that the best view is from the water and that actually going to it is no big deal.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I would say that it is worth it because of the history and great view. If you asked my son, he would say he would never wait that long again for just the view. Again, go early if you do. And, it may have been crowded due to spring break. Good luck!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the rgreat report. You certainly fit a lot into a weekend. My friend and I are taking our 10 year old girls in October. I love the deli & picnic in the park idea - thanks!