Reload this Page >

trip report on a great weekend that I wasnt even excited to go on

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:06 PM
oatty

Our family, (15 of us ages 5-62)camped this past weekend in Ohiopyle State Park, south of Pittsburgh, visited the Frank Lloyd Wright house, Falling Water; did a 5 hour raft trip on the Youghegh (sp) river; and then spent an hour or so on the natural rock slides--we all had a blast, it is truly a beautiful part of Pennsylvania!!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:14 PM
George

Oatty: I agree. It would be worth the trip for the Wright house(s) alone, but the "Yock" is gorgeous. We went out a few years ago for the architecture and had the same pleasant surprise you experienced.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Bill

Don't tell too many people about this part of Pennsylvania being so beautiful and fun (if you like outdoors stuff).....

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Lori

Thanks for the post. I was a tour guide at Fallingwater as my summer job during college. We spent many days on the river in those days. You brought back lots of fun memories.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:04 AM
dr webster

"Ohiopyle" State Park?
Great name.
"pyle" is an old term for hemorrhoid.
So this park is a hemorrhoid on the state of Ohio.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Judy

Oatty - I've been wanting to raft/camp there for some time. Our family are big rafting fans. Did you spend any time in Pittsburgh? I am real curious what people say about the city these days. My son may be applying to Carnegie Mellon and have heard very conflicting reports about Pitt. ?? He is particularly interested in the theatre scene.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:55 AM
oatty

we are from the Harrisburg area of PA and my 17 yr old daughter is also interested in Pitt--we have been hearing great things about the city and am in the process of planning a fall visit--it is almost a 4 hour drive from where we live--

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:13 PM
shannon

I just moved to Pittsburgh after spending almost all of my life in NC/SC.

Family is civil service so I have gotten to see a lot of places.

I absolutely LOVE Pittsburgh!

The area around U Pitt isn't the prettiest of places Pittsburgh has to offer but don't let that deter you.

They are a great school! Lots to do around the area. ONCE you get used to the bad roads!

FOR your first time to the city I recommend going to the top of the Duquesne Incline at NIGHT!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:29 PM
S

My husband is from the Pittsburgh area. Now that my girls are older, we've been making it a habit to head to various "things" around Pittsburgh. They LOVE it! We've been to the Christmas Parade then Pointe Park; Carnegie Science Center; Station Square; etc. My husband dearly loves being FROM Pittsburgh (i.e., he's glad he grew up there, but is glad he no longer lives there). It is a beautiful area.

Lori, isn't 12 the minimum age for Falling Water?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Molly

My family did a similar trip a few years ago and loved it! You brought back some happy memories.
We did not get to Falling Water, but sure would have liked to. I'm curious why there is an age limit to visit it.?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:32 PM
scott

we just got back from a weekend visit to U Pitt and really were surprised by how much we enjoyed the city, the school, etc. Yes, and we went to the top of Mt Washington at 11:30pm, just beautiful, also stopped off in Shanksville to see memorial, which was quite moving....and another hilite, believe it or not was shopping at IKEA which we dont live very close to!!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:47 PM
scott

forgot to mention the gorgeous fall foliage on the way out to Pittsburgh...southeastern PA is just beginning to change color

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Sarah

how far south of Pittsburgh oatty?

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just got back yesterday from a visit to Fallingwater. We enjoyed it very much. Be sure to make reservations. We just did the regular tour ($15 weekends) and that was fine for us, it lasted about 1 hour and 15 minutes and then we ate lunch there and spend time in the gift shop. We stayed two nights at an absolutely wonderful bed and breakfast in Uniontown, PA called The Inne at Watson's Choice. It was beautiful, peaceful and very relaxing. I notice that a lot of posts for Fallingwater recommend Nemacolin Woodlands Resort (unbelievably expensive!), but we found the Inne to be less commercial and it offered much more individual, attentive service for a very reasonable price. There is the actual Inne and then its "Harvest House" building next door that has whirlpool tubs in most of the rooms. We stayed in a room in the Harvest House. For restaurants, we ate at the Coal Baron restaurant which was delicious and the portions were huge. Service was very good also. Another very good restaurant is Caleigh's.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum, White.

For future reference, it would be better to start a new post with this, rather than pull up an old post and add to it. In fact, I recommend you STILL do that.