Colonial Inn - Virginia Beach

Old May 6th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colonial Inn - Virginia Beach

Does anyone have input on the Colonial Inn on 2809 Atlantic Ave Virginia Beach?

I am looking for a clean and safe place to stay just for two nights in August. I do not want to pay the high price for one of the resort hotels since I will not be using the hotel or ammenities much. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:16 AM

I stay there quite often, maybe 4-5 times a year. It's a basic hotel, has refrigerator & coffee maker in each room, indoor pool, sun-deck. They keep it clean, not spotless. There are no amenities to speak of, just soap. An addition was built a few years ago, try to be in that section. I do not like where the cloths rack/hangers are in the older section - they stick out as you enter the bathroom. The only other thing is dislike is the mandatory $1 daily fee for the in-room safe, which I *NEVER* use (a topic for another thread). It's a fair deal at Colonial Inn.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM

We were there 2 years ago. It was fine.
The indoor pool was nice to get out of the sun or rain. There is an affordable restaurant and snack shop there. The rooms were clean. No complaints.
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:01 PM

The restaurant is now in the new section of the hotel. I enjoy having a late night drink, or an early morning coffee on the covered patio. Another thing I like about the Colonial Inn is the solid walls extend right to the end of the balconies, so neighbors would have to lean forward over the railing to see into your room. Even in January I will turn off the heat and leave the balcony door open all night ... that surf is so.o... relaxing. I've had great pizza from a drive-thru pizzaria on Pacific, about a block over from the hotel.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Is the Colonial far from the boardwalk?
Thank you for all of your comments. They have been extremely helpful.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Close to the boardwalk? You brought up something I'd forgotten about. The Colonial is two buildings + parking garage. One is ON the boardwalk, with all rooms facing the ocean, indoor corridors, indoor pool. Directly across the street (Atlantic) is the other building, a motel-type: outdoor corridors, outdoor pool+kiddy pool, garage. I always stay in an ocean-front room - I'd forgotten about the other building.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:50 AM

The Boardwalk runs from 1st to 38th Street. So yes, it is in front of the Colonial Inn. It is a nice concrete boardwalk with grassy areas between the boardwalk and hotel. Very clean and well kept. Cool sculptures every few blocks. I couldn't tell you about any night life if that is what you are looking for. We didn't venture far from the hotel.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:45 AM

We went to Virginia Beach the weekend of June 21-23. We stayed at the Colonial Inn. Rooms in the new section are oceanfront and the prices are very reasonable. We paid $140. Rooms were clean and very well kept. Beware, there is the old section of the hotel across the street and the new section right on the board walk, be sure and specify the new section (higher rate). The new section has the indoor pool, the old section has an outdoor pool which you can use alsol. the old section has a covered parking garage that you can use also (keeps your car cool!) Although check in time is 4 p.m they let us have our room around 2:30. the restaurant in the hotel is great for dinner, but breakfast was awful (both breakfast buffet and ala carte). Another great restaurant for dinner was Rockfish (rock and roll theme) dinner and breakfast were very good there. Rockfish is oceanfront.