Fogcatcher Inn, Cambria

Search

Fogcatcher Inn, Cambria

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fogcatcher Inn, Cambria

I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed at this Inn & has a description of their room. The website shows only one picture of a room & I'm not too impressed. We're looking for something cozy & romantic, but not frou-frou, like the Blue Dolphin. Thanks...
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:19 PM

We stayed there a few months ago. The room was nice and there is a pretty good breakfast room, but it was on the expensive side for what we got. We're going to check out Olallieberry Inn next time. It sounds romantic, and they have a web site.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM

We stayed at their sister property The Cypress Cove Inn in June. It was wonderful! We had a King-Oceanview/Fireplace room. There was a window seat by the window which was cozy for reading. The view from the room was amazing.
We have stayed at The Blue Whale and the Fireside. This was my favorite property and I'm assuming the Fogcatcher is just as nice. The pool is on the Fogcatcher property, but the Cypress Cove has a spa and you are allowed to use the pool at the Fogcatcher.
I have heard good things about the Ollallieberry Inn but we like to be directly across from the ocean. I would definitely return and the extra $$$ for the oceanview room was well worth it.
The room was not frou-frou at all, but very tastefully done. Bathroom was on the small side, but very nice. There are not many bath amenities, so I was glad I had packed my own scented candles and bubble bath! Enjoy Cambria! It's one of my favorite areas. Would you like recommends on great places to eat? Well, I'll give them anyway! The Sow's Ear is my favorite with the Sea Chest being second for the delicious seafood.
I'm due for a trip there anytime. We need to go to EOS to pick up our wine from the Wine Club. We delayed by the earthquake awhile back. ***kim***
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:06 PM

Stayed at the Fogcatcher Inn last June. The room was long and comfortable. Soft soap and shampoo dispenser in the shower, and plenty of thick towels. I never thought I would use the fireplace but we did use it at night after dinner it was damp and foogy along the coast. Joined there e-mail list for specials and took advantage of weekdays being about $50 less than weekends.
From my confirmation letter:

For a very limited time, FogCatcher Inn is offering a dinner escape package from $99, plus tax per night. Your stay includes a cozy fireplace room, dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine at Cambria Pines Lodge Restaurant, and breakfast for 2.

Call today to make reservations
1-800-425-4121
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM

I stayed at the Fogcatcher 3 years ago, and it was fine, but basically a slightly above average motel room. Nothing to get excited about, room-wise, but nothing wrong either.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Hi Sandra! I received that e-mail also. It sounds like a wonderful deal! Have you tried the Cambria Pines Lodge for dinner? I wonder if it's good? ***kim***
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Another property in Cambria is the Pelican Suites. Prices are considerably higher. I got a quote of $189 for a Thursday night and $299 for Friday night. Is it worth the extra money? What about Cambria Pines for lodging? Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:23 AM

We stayed at the Cambria Pines Lodge last year after a trip to Big Sur and hearst Castle. It's a fairly lage property with lots of different kinds of rooms and cottages scattered throughout the grounds. They have an indoor pool (massages available). Unlike the Fogcather it is up in the hills above the town and not on the water. Although I haven't stayed at any of the placed on the beach many of the motel/hotels there are right next to each other in a long row.

We didn't fancy a B&B and the Cambria Pines seemed the best option. The grounds are pretty with very Californian gardens...lots of lavender..lots of things flowering even in March. We stayed in a small cottage which was comfortable but not luxurious and had a couple of wooden chair out front.

The restaurant was fine...a good steak and an excellent pork chop but we had them bring the food through to the bar. The bar is very popular locally because they have live music several nights a week. We really enjoyed both the music (folk/pop ballards) and the atmosphere.

Hope that helps!
PS Despite the cheesy outfits worn by the guides we really enjoyed the night time tour of Hearst Castle which is only available off season.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Kinamom,
We thought the grounds of Cambria Pines Lodge were charming, but the food quite ordinary. After dinner we returned to Bistro Sole on Main St. Where we had dinner the night before. This time had plenty of room for dessert, which was expertly prepared just like the main course had been the day before.