trip report for NYC last weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow did we have a great time. Train ride was great. Marriott Marquis is a great place to stay. We had requested a low floor and they gave us one. They stored our things till the room was ready and we were off.

First stop TKTS booth. We thought we were going to South Street Seaport. Luckily we walked out the door to see a very short line at the TKTS booth which is now under the BIG Bank of America sign and under the Marriott. There was almost no line on Sunday at noon. We got tickets to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels then went to get a quick sandwich at Maxie's deli.

DRS at 3 was fabulous. I do wish the seats werent so close together. I don't know how a big person could sit there.
We left there and got drinks. Then off to broadway and 51st to meet our tour guide from New York Party Shuttle.

GREAT time. three hours of driving and getting out several times. It was airconditioned and they provided water. Pretty important since it was HOOOOOTTTTTTTT. Sam was the guide and he was great; informative and entertaining. Tour has only been offered for 2 weeks but it was very well done. Tour is limited to 16 but there were only 5 of us. Talk about a private tour. Only negative is that website and paper work tells you to meet between 49th and 50th. Bus was between 50th and 51st. You could see it so it wasn't a big deal.

We wanted to go to Caroline's comedy club but didn't care for the comic and the cover was 26.50 with 2 drink minimum. A little expensive for a comic we didn't think we would like.
Finished up at the broadway lounge at the Marriott having drinks.

Monday.
Quick visit to Today show and off to Bleeker street for our foods of ny tour. Again fabulous. Soooooo much food. Skipped dinner. Kurt was tour guide. He used to work in restaurants and was knowledgeable about food prep and ingredients. He also knew the history of the area. It was great. Again small group of 12. Will definitely do the chelsea tour next time.

TKTS again short line and we got tickets for Forbidden Broadway. I dont think people know where TKTS is. Musical was great. Five talented people making fun of broadway past and present.

A short walk after the play and we were at Birdland for Jim Caruso's Cast Party. Absolutely awesome. There is a great deal of undiscovered talent in NYC and we got to hear two hours of it. Jazz, and all kinds of vocals. Lodie Carr, a famous jazz singer was great. Billy Stritch played fabulous piano. Singer from 42nd street with recurring role on Boston Legal started the night. Must be a secret because it wasnt crowded and only 10 cover. Finished up at 1 am

Tuesday
We knew it was going to be hot but said no problem we are scheduled for an air conditioned bus tour of manhattan tv and movie sites. Turns our air conditioning wasn't working. We got off the bus to cool off in the 100 degree heat.

The guide was excellent but the conditions were terrible. The bus had rattles and broken arm rests. The bus was full. Could have been the perfect ending instead it was miserable. Would not reccommend company but brian, the guide was good. They are making enough money to have a good bus.

Train ride from penn station on amtrak was frustrating and nerve wracking. There were train delays that were unavoidable so the station was packed. There are 15 east and west gates. They do not publish the gate number till the last minute and load the train in less that ten minutes. Very difficult situation. Surely there is a better way. I can't imagine it the wednesday before thanksgiving.

Once again a successful NYC trip mostly due to suggestions from you fodorites. I can't thank you enough. Get ready for new ideas next year. This is now an annual trip for us but maybe we will go in June when it is a tad cooler.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Neopolitan

So glad you liked Cast Party. Isn't it a hoot? One of the most fun nights we've had in New York in a long time.

Don't be misled by the short lines at TKTS. Many people think nothing plays on Sunday or Monday and that's why there are so few people in line. If I recall right, you asked originally about those nights too? Trust me, on Saturday there would be major lines.

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM

poolqueen822: thanks for the trip report...my dh and myself are going for the very first time in late October...I am over the top excited!! There is so much to see and do...however, we've got lots of relatives there to see too so we'll be doing that as well..we are going to get a personal tour from my one cousin of Brooklyn where he grew up...and, he was a FDNY Captain as well...now, HIS tour should be interesting!!
Thanks for the ideas!!
Shadow
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM

Great report! Ever since first reading about it I've wanted to be in NYC on a Monday night for the Cast Party, but haven't been able to swing it yet. It sounds like fun!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM

Yes - that's how Penn Sta operates. they have little choice with so many trains and so few tracks (and they can;t let you donw onto the platform until the train that has just arrived has emptied out - otherwise there would be people trampled.

You should see it on the weekend when taking a train that goes to Long Beach - if you're not bumped by a folding chair someone stabs you with a beach umbrella or drops a cooler on your foot. And the trains are so crowded the aisles are filled with standees.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM

Wow you had a great time !! Thanks for sharing great info for ideas for others.

The only thing I can tell you about Amtrak and Penn is that (esp on holidays) and other busy times, if you really don't want to hassle with the crowd, you go acella and grab a skycap, who will then come and get you when it is time and get you down on the platform before they post it, so you are already sitting on the train when the crowds arrive - but it means the acella ticket price vs. regional and a tip for the skycap.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Major lines at TKTS would not be fun. It wasn't very organized. Sort of move in, move in, move in. Then try to pick the right window. then push your way through the crowd with your tickets. Oh well, that's the price you pay for cheap tickets. Nothing about the city is bad. Also wanted to say how friendly and helpful NYers are. It truly is a great city.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM

If you're ever in town on a Friday night, you MUST go to THE AFTER PARTY. It's FREE and it's at The Laurie Beechman Theatre at the West Bank Cafe on the corner of 42nd Street and 9th Ave.

I went their opening night and SHOSHANA BEAN, who starred on Broadway in WICKED as Elpheba, was the special guest. Last week, they had LAUREN MOLINA, who plays JOHANNA in SWEENEY TODD. It's open-mic, so anyone can get up and sing. They have TONS of sheet music onstage, so you just choose what you want and hand it to the awesome pianist. NOT ME, though! But my friend sang!

Anyway, the host is a hysterical guy named BRANDON CUTRELL. It's a total NEW YORK night, so I highly recommend it. AND DID I MENTION IT'S FREE?!?!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:15 AM
GoTravel

That cluster#$%& at Penn Station is one of my favorite things to watch plus the people watching is fabulous. I've taken trains out of there a gazillion times and you get used to the system.

As escargot and nytraveler have mentioned, there really isn't a better way.

Glad you had a good time!

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:37 AM

Sounds like a great time except for the movie tour. Did they offer any discount or compensation for lack of a/c?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

nothing was offered except isn't it hot. we will be commenting on their website. one more piece of info about the trip. We were told that junior's was the best cheesecake and we have to agree it was delicious. The meals in NY are so big that my friend and I often share. We'd rather pay the sharing charge than waste all that food. Junior's allowed us to share and there was no sharing charge. Another bonus.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM

Do you need tickets for Jim Caruso's cast party? Sounds like great fun for a Monday night. The monday I'll be in NY is Sept 4 (Labor Day) - does anyone know if it will be on that night or should I call?

If it is - what time should we be there? Are there reserved seats for those not performing? I really know nothing about it except that it seems everyone here
raves about what a good time it is and from what I can see from the website so any info would be appreciated.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:02 AM

We saw Jim Caruso's Cast Party on August 14. We did not need reservations and the show started at approximately 10:00 pm. We were there for 9:30 and had a late dinner. To me, the best way to describe the set up is small tables in an arc around the small stage. If you go; you will enjoy it!!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM

Thanks shanechappy. We're definately going to try to make it - sounds like a blast. So much for a relaxed NY trip - the itinerary is getting more packed each day. LOL
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM

Me again - shanechappy - I see you "had a late dinner" - while at the show?
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM

Yes, that's right. It was $10 cover and $10 minimum for bar/ food. The meals were reasonably priced and my jambalaya was quite good.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM

We are in Manhattan this coming weekend, so I'm bookmarking for a few ideas. Thanks for posting your trip report!