Brief NYC trip report

Search

Brief NYC trip report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief NYC trip report

Once again, thanks to all fodorites for your helpful advice.

We went down by train from Boston on Saturday. I like taking the train so much, I don't think we'll drive again. Especially with gas costing so much.

We stayed at the Flatotel on 52 near 7th, $289/night for a room with a king bed. This was pretty nice. The room was good sized, the bed very comfortable and made up with good quality linens. Common areas were kind of cramped, and the hotel seemed a bit worn...just minor things like chipped paint, and worn rugs. I would stay there again, but I'd also try a different place if I could get an equally good price.

Saturday night, celebrated my birthday with dinner at Cafe Boulud. It was very nice. Service was fine, if a little bit stiff. We had an excellent meal: blue crab bisque, rabbit and rabbit confit with roasted peaches. Dessert was bittersweet chocolate and peanut mouse with tea infused ice cream. just yummy!

Sunday we went to the Guggenheim for the "Russia!" exhibit. I liked this quite a bit. It was more interesting than I expected. Mostly I went because I'd never been to the Guggenheim, and it seemed like time.

Sunday night, "Avenue Q". Yes, the seats were reasonably comfy, and my husband had sufficient legroom. And we loved the show. It was totally hysterical (just thinking about some of those songs makes me laugh...) . Late dinner at Molyvos, a Greek restaurant on 7th avenue. I've been here before, and I love it. especially the mezedes (the small plates).

Monday we shopped and walked around Greenwich village. I sort of wish I'd taken one of the guided walking tours, but we were unsure of our schedule and didn't reserve one. Still, it was fun to wander around.

We had dinner Monday with a couple friends at a wonderful restaurant on the east side called L'Impero (Tudor City Place, near42nd between 1st and 2nd). This was not a place I'd heard of before, and it was wonderful. Even better than Cafe Boulud. Maybe I just like Italian better than French, but I thought the food was better here. And the atmosphere was a little more relaxed. And the wine list was fairly reasonably priced. The pasta dishes were especially good. And a wonderful appetizer of sliced conch with truffle vinaigrette. They do a prix fixe of 4 courses for $58, which seemed like a good value. I highly recommend this place.

And then finally, Monday night, the whole reason we took this little jaunt in the first place...Eric Clapton and Cream at Madison Square Garden. Awesome, awesome show. I'm so glad to have gotten the chance to hear them live. We were very far from the stage, but I suspect its a good thing not to see Jack Bruce too close up.

It was a great weekend, and even the rain couldn't spoil it.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
GoTravel

What a lovely trip!

Sounds just perfect!

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Great weekend, thanks for the report! I've heard good things about L'Impero but we haven't had a chance to try it (yet!).
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Cream at MSG, wow! Did they do Crossroads? That is my all time favorite Clapton guitar solo from Wheels of Fire.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Margie, you should definitely try L'Impero. Our friends who took us there say its the best Italian in the city, and they have pretty trustworthy opinions.

curiousgeo, yes, they certainly did do "Crossroads". They opened with "I'm so Glad", and closed with "White Room", and my favorite "Sunshine of your love". It was great.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Will do - it's officially "on the list"! Thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Nice report! Sounds like a fun weekend. I'll add L'Impero to my list for the future -- our DD is getting her Masters from Hunter Jan 19 and we'll be in NYC to celebrate.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM

china cat, based on your screen name, thought I would mention I saw the Dead play at Bill Graham's Fillmore Auditorium back in 1968 when Pigpen was still alive. I was 15 years old and was just blown away that night in San Francisco, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band had second billing, Joshua Light Show, Michoacan buds , an awesome night (but like Bill C., I did not inhale).
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

curiousgeo, that's great. I didn't become a Dead fan until much later. my husband and I went to a show in Providence in '86 as our very first date. He'd been a fan for years, but that was my first show. and they had become very big, as that was just after the release of "Touch of Gray", I wish I had seen them when they were still playing smaller places like the Fillmore.

And yes, you got my screen name reference correct.