Search

Trip Report 4 seasons Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:56 AM
mtsod

Trip Report 4 seasons Maui

Author: mts ([email protected])
Date: 06/03/2002, 01:48 pm
Message: Just returned from a 9 night 10 day honeymoon stay at the Four Seasons on Maui.
After reading every post about this resort I arrived with high expectations. The resort is very nice, clean and stylish. The pool side service was worse than I expected, though. The food at the highly recommended breakfast buffet was meidocre at best. The food at the pool was highly priced and poor to acceptable. Example of poolside food letdown: Ordered "Citrus Lobster salad on Sourdough bread" Cost: $19.00 Included about 1 cup of lobster salad between 2 pieces of toasted "sourdough" similar in appearnce to Wonder Bread (thin and bland) with some average fries. No noticable large pieces of lobster meat. Poor quality bread. =letdown.
Some posters mentioned honeymoon upgrades. One poster mentioned being upgraded from a garden view to a club level room. I inquired about upgrades, politely and descretely. I was told they would check on a 1 level upgrade (garden view to partial ocean view). "Anything more would cost you extra"they said. Recieved a message on my answering machine saying that they were sorry but no upgrades were available. Later that day heard from the assistance manager (talked to her by the pool as she mingled with guests) and she said the hotel was 75% full. The room we had a badly scratched night stand, stains on the couch pillows and a musty smell. Matress looked old. Carpet was frayed in areas. Wallpaper seams were coming apart in areas. Minibar kept beverages at about 50 degrees, too warm for me. Many of the concierge were very difficult to understand due to poor english. Stacey was very, very goog however. Bathrooms were nice, but the large tub was not jetted. Only 2 phones total 1 in the room 1 in bathroom. I stayed at the Greenbrier Resort in WV. Not Maui of course, but higher level of service, room quality and opulence there. Four seasons Maui did not live up to my high hopes. Nice hotel, did not live up to expections or raves per this web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:23 AM
Mike

You've got me a little worried mstod. My wife and just booked our vacation to Four Seasons last week for travel dates in March 2003. I've heard wonderful things about Four Seasons, especially about the service. Service is my number 1 sticking point too. Hope things get better by our travel time.

We stayed at the Westin on our honeymoon in 97 and it was nice. We went again in 99 and horrible is a compliment. So this time we opted for Four Seasons. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
Laura

It's been awhile but in 97 I stayed at the 4 seasons Maui and the Princevill Resort -- I liked Princeville tons better, and it was a sheraton!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
Sue

Mike,
Would you mind telling me what it was about the Westin that was your nightmare? We also had some really bad experiences there but it seems that everyone I have told about this tells me I'm nuts. I would love to hear from someone who agrees with me about this place.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Mike

Sure Sue,
I took my parents back there in 97 with my wife and I. The T.V. didn't work. We asked for a repair or replacement and got noting. What aggrevated us was they acted like they didn't care. There was almost no poolside service. Both sushi bars that they brag so much about weren't even open. The parking was so jammed, once we had to climb on top of our car and climb in through the window to get in. Maid service only came twice to our room during our stay. These are just a few of the things I can remember. Oh yea, they charged us more that the price we booked under and it took almost an hour to get it worked out at check out. And I "was" a Westin Club Member with "express checkout".

Your not crazy Sue. I've talked with several people who have statyed there and we all agree, the service and attitude are what seem to be getting consistently worse.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:12 PM
Mike

Oops, I mean we went on our honeymoon in 97, then took our parents back in 99. 99 is when it was really bad.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:18 PM
Bob

mtsod -- Did you eat in Wolfgang Puck's restaurant and, if so, how was it?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:28 AM
tom

sorry to hear about your negative experience. I stayed at the Four Seasons back in February and had a great experience. I was one of those posts that was upgraded from a garden view to the club level ocean front. Our room was great and the service was excellent. As far as the dining, we ate at Spago's and the other italian resturant within the hotel (can't remember the name) and both were excellent. The breaksfast buffet was o.k., nothing special. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Allen

I believe the club level is NOT 100% ocean front but is, instead, still an "angled" view of the ocean!!