Travelodge Central San Fran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. Can anyone out there give me a firsthand review of this Travelodge? The reviews I've seen out there aren't too favorable. Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I believe that it is what it is.

It can be difficult to find an inexpensive & nice motel in SF.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Hi eastsidegal, you are a female right? What is the address of the Travelodge you are thinking about?
Personally I would never think of staying in a Travelodge in SF. I agree with TSD. What is your budget eastsidegal for a room per night? Hopefully you can get a suggestion for somewhere better..best wishes.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM

I wouldn't stay anywhere with many negative reviews. I believe the Travelodge Golden Gate on Lombard gets better reviews if a Travelodge is what you want.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Is this somewhere on Ellis or Eddy street at Larkin or Hyde?

I don't know about the lodge, but the area is not safe. If not for the bus, I wouldn't pass that area alone.

Look into motels along Van Ness, North part.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I think the Travelodge she's mentioning is the one on Market and Valencia, which is not such a bad area. There is a Travelodge (I think) down Market around 7th or 8th which is a bad area and I would not recommend.

I would second looking into the Travelodge on Lombard by the Presidio. It is a nice neighborhood and on a quieter street (it's away from the busy part of Lombard).
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:03 AM

I looked it up The address on the Travelodge website is 1707 Market, but it's off Market, and kind between Van Ness and Gough. Is this a good area? Sorry, but I am not so sure.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:05 AM

According to the Travelodge website, the Central Travelodge is located at 1707 Market.

This is not a bad neighborhodd - it's actually a pretty good location for a motel.

It's right across the street from FLAX art supplies and very near to Martuni's piano bar - also near to Zuni cafe.

F-line streetcar is right outside the door making transportation to Castro or anywhere down Market to Embarcadero a breeze.

Not the prettiest of locations as the surroundings are mostly concrete, it's definitely safer than the other Travelodge hotels everyone above is thinking of.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM

>>1707 Market.

This is not a bad neighborhodd - it's actually a pretty good location for a motel.<<

If a friend of mine were visiting SF for the first time & I wanted to impress him/her with SF, I would not put that person up at this location. I would choose someplace just off Lombard in the Cow Hollow area - maybe more than 1 block and less than 5 blocks west of Van Ness in a somewhat inexpensive place (spend the $ on food).

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Some people like white bread, some people like a little texture.

The neighborhood of this Travelodge is in the vicinity of a bunch of antique shops too. Not the Fairmont, but not the Tenderloin either.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I need a really economical hotel and this one fit the pocketbook perfectly. Unless anyone at there knows of a hotel for around $70 a night, then I guess i have to stay there. Thanks again!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM

have you looked into cow hollow hotels? there is a chain of 3-one is cow hollow lodge i think and i can't recall the other two but they were always really super reasonable for a really nice area
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Last year we stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn, which is highly recommended on Trip Advisor and this forum. I'm not sure of the name of the street, but we walked past a Travelodge on our way from the hotel to Fisherman's Wharf. If it is that Travelodge you should be fine. While I can' speak for the inside, the outside looked nice and the neighborhood is good and close to the Wharf. Columbus Motor Inn is nice, but not as cheap as $70. I doubt that any of the hotels in Cow Hollow would be that cheap either.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Have you considered trying Priceline?
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Your best deal is to check www.biddingfortravel.com under the San Francisco, CA section and then bid on Priceline.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:16 AM

eastsidegal, don't commit yourself to the Central Travelodge without reading the reviews on TripAdvisor.com. When five of the last ten reviews give a property only one star out of five, with words in the titles like awesomely bad, dishonest, unprofessional, rude, what a dump, I would say there are indications of really unusually severe problems in the way it is being run.

Also, go to the TraveLodge.com site and compare rates wuith the other TraveLodges in town. They are so EXTREMELY much lower that they can't be explained just by the 1700 block of Market being a less pleasant location, although it is that. There's something going on here.

Here are the reviews:
http://tinyurl.com/8pnc6

Two questions I would like you to answer for us, and then I will know what advice I will want to give you, and perhaps others will know better too:

1. Do you definitely want the TraveLodge brand because you have reward points with them to use or some similar reason? (If so, there's one I think you should especially look at for reasons of both price and location.)

2. Will you have a car with you in S.F.?