traveling w/ senior mom

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveling w/ senior mom

Author: apexjen
Date: 07/02/2008, 12:04 am

Does anyone know of a great resort that has lots to do w/in the resort?
(maybe offers cooking classes, fun events, etc.). Mom is 81 and cannot walk for more than 5 minutes at time.

Or--any ideas for travel w/ a disabled (but not in wheelchair) senior. Travel time would be July or Aug.

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM

Maybe you want to check Elderhostel programs? They sub-divide them into difficulty groups, go to "advance search" type in your dates, mark off 1 and you'll get a list of the easiest programs.

Also, can your mom take a cruise?

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM

Exactly, how about a cruise?? Airlines and cruise ships have wheelchairs to get from point A to point B. Once on the ship should not be a problem. We took my Mom on an Alaska cruise when she was 92!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM

And even if your mom refuses wheelchairs even in the airports (my dad is 82) there are chairs to rest between the loading gate and arrival/exit gates.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I will ck out
the cruise idea as well as the elderhostel.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Does your mom have any specific things she wants to do (or not do)? For instance, my parents are in their 80's generally good health but both have had hip operations and lots of walking is problematic.

A few years ago, they just decided plane travel was too much trouble - they don't want to deal with security, luggage issues and possibly long waits in airport chairs. I've taken them on some trips, but they only want things in driving distance now.

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Elderhostel is usually a fairly active tour. I'm not sure they are appropriate for someone with limited mobility. (I have a friend who travels with them a couple times a year.)
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Just some general tips for traveling with seniors.

I took my mom to London
when she was 75. She passed away at 79 so this was not a hearty 75. We cabbed it everywhere for the walking.
Made the trip very low key and about shopping, theatre and eating.

Short strolls in exclusive shopping areas only....all the regular places (Oxford Street) would push and shove her. Something to keep in mind.

I took her to a show almost everyday, and we shopped, ate at high end restaurants every night. I told her the pound was equal to the dollar so she would let me pay for everything. She said "WOW LONDON IS CHEAP" LOL. I always have a laugh remembering her believing this.

We also did not start our day until she was ready, good days this was 11am, a lot of days after 2pm. That was hard for me. A better daughter would have done that without a sigh.

I am glad we did this trip. The plane ride was not a problem as you might expect. We had some rude people in front of us that would not put there seats in upright position when my mother needed to use the bathroom and I was in moma bear attach mode. My mother said "let me handle this" and she put on a sweet old lady voice (she looked older than 75) and said I am so sorry to bother you dear would please be so kind as to...I can't even repeat how sweet she made her request.

Mid aged man felt his true 2 inch tall stature. We did not have a problem the rest of the flight. My mother said that is what you do, you ask very sweetly and they see what they are doing.

So after all this, what about picking a city like Savannah and just do a bunch of house tours. My mother regularly used a wheel chair when I took her but she did not use outside of airport on this trip. So she could walk for like half hour then we would sit, have coffee, eat LOL.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Things to consider. What is nature of her inability to walk - my mother was able to do a little more walking on a gtrip a few years ago by getting a cortisone shot in her rotten knee prior to trip. Are there any other similar "bandaids" that would help.

Many resorts are huge - to walk from accomodations to dining to beach may be longer than you would think.

On the other hand, some cities offer good transportation such as cabs that make them tolerable choices. Also, many cities have city bus tours (as opposed tohop on hop off trolleys) where bus stops several times, close to entrance to something interesting, and staying on bus or taking a limited walk are options.

What does she like to do? Beach, reading, sightseeing, What kind of sleep schedule does she have - afternoon nap, early morning walking - the type of things common in elders that may also effect type of lodging.

I agree that a cruise might be a good choice. There are reasons elderly people like them - everything is self-contained, lodging is right there, things to do during the day and evening. If you choose this, consider cabin location carefully - near an elevator, mid-ship will limit walking. You also might consider a wheelchair for shore excursions - many of which involve little walking depending on itinerary.

Important consideration - does she have a passport? If not, get going on an expedited one now - perhaps even before you have made a final pick.