Traveling to Hawaii w/ 4 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be traveling to Oahu (for a week)in February with our 4 year old. Hubby will spend a lot of time in meetings, leaving my daughter & I on our own. Any fun suggestions for Mom & 4yr old? (Will have rental car). Thoughts on a day trip over to Maui? Thanks!

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:55 PM

The beach, of course! She'd probably also enjoy the Honolulu zoo and Kapiolani park. 4 year olds would probably be bored at Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Pearl Harbor, etc. Guess it depends on the kids......what does she like to do?
As far as going over to Maui.....if you're only going for the day, I'd pass. By the time you take the flight, fly into Kahului, get the rental car, do whatever it is you were thinking of doing, drop the car off, get back to the airport 90 minutes before your flight back to Oahu.....just doesn't seem worth it to me. But it's your trip.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your helpful suggestions Kolohegirl! We are members of the Philadelphia Zoo which has a reciprocal program with the Honolulu Zoo so we will definately spend a day there! I am not familiar Kapiolani park- I will look into that as well. My hubby & I have been to Pearl Harbor & I agree with your comments. She has specifically requested to play in the sand! Kid friendly beaches??? She also LOVES animals, other kids, music, playgrounds, "Lilo" & Prinesses! Any suggestions on kid-friendly restaurants & beaches would greatly be appreciated. I am beginning to agree that a day trip to Maui is out of the question, but hubby said he wouldn't mind if I took our daughter for a night or two on our own. Am I crazy to consider this? Thanks again!

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Ala Moana Beach is probably the safest without waves and a slow slope. Dixie Grill has a fun sandbox and good food. Spagetti Factory is fun. You have to take her to the Children's Discovery Center!!!! The aquarium and Sea Life Park. Exploring Hilton Hawaiian Village and all the animals is a must also. She needs to try a shaved ice. Go by 7-11 or Foodland and pick up mochi ice cream too. Kailua is a good beach also. Or the cove at the Turtle Bay Hilton. Often on weekends you can find a pony ride. I think the Punahou Fair is on the 6th and 7th. There is a circus with the Aloha Run. Sometimes people do kite sports at Sandies beach which is fun to watch. Or they like to watch blowhole also. The Nature Center has child activities scheduled. hawaiinaturecenter.org My daughter likes to explore the state park in Kaneohe. It has a duck pond and huge plants. If all else fails there is Chuckie Cheese! There is also a water park. It would be fine to take a day trip to Maui alone. Kaanapali or Wailea would be nice.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:08 PM

Also in the Kapiolani area: The aquarium, of course! You can check out all the tropical fish. While on the fish theme: try the Pacific Beach Hotel. You can eat in their main restaurant while watching all the fish go by....best to go at feeding time.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Hi,My husband and I are also going to Oahu....with our twin 3 1/2 yr. old girls, and our 12 and 14 yr. old. (In March) My grandmother, my mother, and my whole family was born and raised in Hawaii...am going to bring my own children to the places I lived and loved....Absolutely, the beach is number one...my personal favorites as a child was Kailua (where I lived) and Alo Moana Beach Park.... I also remember loving the zoo! I remember sitting on an old galapagos tortoise and having my picture taken...I think he is still there, but don't know if you can still sit on them! I also loved shave ice and cracked seed. And weird as it my sound , I have fond memories of walking along the old Pali road into the "rain forest", loving the lushness and smell of too ripe liliquoi's. Although Hawaii has grown and changed since my youth there in the 60's and 70's...I can't wait to share it all with my own family now. One thing that never changes there...the slow, laid back pace and the spirit of aloha. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Kristy, if you are shopping for cracked seed but have not been here in a while....the Crack Seed Center at Ala Moana Center has moved. It used to be right by the escalators at Center Stage. It's now moved toward Sears. It's still on the ground level, but if you walk toward the post office it will be there.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow! What wonderful suggestions! Islandmom, We will definately make a trip to the Dixie Grill- it sounds like fun! Can you tell me more about Children's Discovery Center? (I will also look online to see if I can find more info.) Do we need to be guests of the Hilton to go to the Hawaiian Village? The fact that it has animals is a plus! We will not make it to the fair, as we arrive Feb 21st leaving the 29th- but I don't think we'll miss it as you have provided so many interesting activities!
MelissaHI, I will look into Kapiolani park as I would like to catch a Hula show. My daughter had been hounding me for a grass skirt, so I finally got her one yesterday & she has been dancing around the house in the skirt, doing her own version of the hula! The Pacific Beach Hotel restaurant sounds really neat! Is it kid friendly? She's an old restaurant pro at 4yrs of age, but some places aren't keen on kids no matter what. I would love to try it, what do you think?
Kristy2, it's a shame you aren't going a couple weeks earlier! My daughter would LOVE to have playmates! What a wonderful trip for you & your family! I will make a trip to Ala Moana Beach Park since you & Islandmom both recommend it!
MelissaHI, I never heard of cracked seed, but am intrigued...what is it? The directions are appreciated!

Well, I have printed out everyone's wonderful suggestions & will have a lot of interesting activities to choose from! THANKS!!!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Islandmom, I found the Discovery Center online & printed directions! Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:05 PM

mmmmmmwell......actually, cracked seed (and all the related products in the store) is an acquired taste. If you didn't grow up with it, it's not likely you will like it. I mean, there are exceptions. William Conrad (of Jake and the Fat Man) took a liking to rock salt plum and would buy 4 pounds of it at a time while filming. But, enough trivia!

Pacific Beach Hotel is a great kid-friendly restaurant. You could also take her over to the Kahala Mandarin for lunch and find out when the dolphin show is.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Call ahead and see if you can get in to the Preschool Pirate's Program at Sea Life Park. I believe it is $15 for parent and child and on Weds.

You don't have to be a guest at the Hilton to walk around.

Paradise Cove Luau has many kid activities also.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:40 PM

At Waikele Outlet mall the kids like to ride the free trolly then get shaved ice at the place by Lowe's.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM

On Friday's at Waikiki beach during the torch lighting they usually have little children perform hula or at least other free hula shows.

Then I forgot the best thing- 15th is brunch on the beach with concerts and food. And on the weekends bring a beach towel and go to Sunset On The Beach - it's a huge movie right on the beach.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM

The Zoo has an educational, craft, tour etc. program called Strollers for Preschoolers. You have to call ahead to make reservations. I believe it's on Monday.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

MelissaHI Thanks for your reply- we will look into lunch at the Pacific Beach Hotel & the Kahala Mandarin! They sound Great!
Islandmom- you have been sooo helpful, I saw one of your posts & learned that you are expecting another child! Congratulations! You asked for unique names-- my daughter's name is Sierra which in Spanish means "saw-toothed mountains" in Irish it means "Courage"-(beautiful, talented & outgoing. Loves nature). Maybe "Sierra Skye" would reflect the beauty of the Hawaiian islands. Thanks again for all of your wonderful suggestions!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM

I really like the name Sierra- however a good friend gave it to her daughter.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Well, with all of the other wonderful suggestions, I'm sure you'll find the perfect name! Thanks again for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Don't know if you left yet, but we just went to the new Big City Diner on Ward. They were very kind to my daughter. They gave her a balloon, toy and coloring materials. The food was cheap. It was a good time and then we went shopping.

A fun campus spot is Volcano Joe's. Small bistro with good food and good prices.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Hello Islandmom! We don't leave until Feb 21st, so I will definitely add these spots to my list! Thank you! How old is your daughter?