Search

Hawaii attractions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii attractions

I am looking for some "must see" or "must do" attractions in Honolulu and/or Maui. Also looking for some off the beaten track things to do.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:55 AM

In Maui, Stop in Paia to do some shopping in the quaint shops, watch the windsurfers, and get a boxed lunch for your road to Hana trip. Eat the lunch on the black sand beach near the end. Hike to the Iao needle and through the lush forests on that side of the island. Rent a kayak from a vendor on the beach and kayak along the shore. In addition to the typical activities (snorkeling, Haleakala, pool time), these were my husband's and my favorite things about our trip to Maui!
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM

When are you going to Maui? If it is in the next couple of months you can still take a whale-watching tour. The Iao Needle is interesting. I like the show "Ulalena" in Lahaina. If you drive to Hana don't miss Wai'anapapa State Park just before reaching Hana.

On Oahu there is a picturesque Japanese temple called Byodo-In on the windward side near Kaneohe. The drive up the coast past Chinaman's Hat and Kualoa is interesting. A day at the Polynesian Cultural Center is fun. There are also hikes to the top of Diamond Head and to the Makapu'u Lighthouse. If want to enjoy an Oahu sunset there is an old heiau (Hawaiian temple grounds) with a great sunset view above Pupukea, near Sunset Beach on the north shore. It is hard to find so stop at Foodland in Pupukea and ask driving directions.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Oops. I meant to spell it "Wai'anapanapa".
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:13 AM

One of my favorite spots on Oahu is at Waimanalo State park. I almost hate mentioning it for fear of it gaining too much exposure, but it is a great beach to spend an afternoon away from Waikikki. My wife and I(in our late 20's) were there on the Saturday over Memorial Day weekend when most beaches and sight seeing spots were packed! There were a few dozen locals at Waimanalo and a few other tourist couples and that was it. Excellent swimming and boogy boarding if the surf is decent( it was too low the last time we were there). Next to this beach is a local food shack called Keneke's which serves some great food at amazing prices. It's just a roadside stand serving hot rice and chicken dishes and ice cream etc., but delicious. On your way to Waimanalo you can stop off at a lot of the coastal lookout spots for some great photos and views. We saw sea turtles over near the blowhole on Oahu's eastern side. This is all along the drive up toward Polynesian Cultural Center. The Chinaman's Hat park is very nice too. Well worth a day drive up that way.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 08:24 PM

It may sound weird to mention going to a museum in Hawaii, but we really enjoyed the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Agree on the Polynesian Cultural Center, my family liked the Atlantis submarine and the Star of Hawaii whale watching Sunday Brunch.

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:13 PM

On Oahu, you won't want to miss the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, and Haunauma (sp) Bay is beautiful. Rent a car and drive around the island, and be sure to drive over the Pali and see Punchbowl National Cemetery.

In spite of what people say about the touristy atmosphere at Waikiki, the reason the visitors are there is because it is one of the prettiest places in the world.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Sorry, meant to say also that while Honolulu is more or less just a city, in the downtown area you should see the Aloha Tower, the King Kamehameha Statue, and the Iolani Palace (the only royal palace in the U.S. and the outside of which was filmed as the building where Jack Lord had his office in Hawaii Five-O.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:35 AM

Iao Valley in West Maui, one of the best natural attraction in Hawaii!

http://onlyinhawaii.org
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oahu: DiamondHead, Waikiki Beach, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Doris Duke ShangriLa estate, Honolulu Academy of the Arts

Maui: Haleakala, Old Lahaina Luau, Lahaina downtown self-guided historic walking tour, U'Lalena at Myth & Magic Theater
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM

2003 - I imagine the OP is home by now
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM

lol