traveling LA with a 3 yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, would LA be a good place to go on a week vacation with a 2, 3, and 5 year old? I am trying to decide between LA and Orlando (for the warm beaches). But not sure, LA is a significantly cheaper choice, but would it be fun? what things can we do for young kids? any reccomendations appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Beaches (not necessarily as warm as Florida, but very nice), Legoland, San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park (I know the last two are in San Diego, but with a week and a car, you could definitely do San Diego, the beaches heading north to LA, and LA), Traintown (small train "museum" in Griffith Park in Los Angeles). Enough said!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

oh thank you thank you! it does sounds fun, do you remember the name of any beaches? there are tons. hard to decide.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Fab,
It would be hard to do LA and San Diego in one week with 3 small children. Pick a base, and work from there. Legoland in Carlsbad might be the ideal base for beach and activities. Figure out your budget and look at Carlsbad, Del Mar, & Encinitas resorts. You will find hotels in ALL price ranges. The Sandiego Zoo and Sea World are a couple of good day trips from there.

If your budget accomodates, there is a Carlsbad Airport that has scheduled airline service. Otherwise, fly into San Diego and its about an hr drive north.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM

It would be hard to do LA and San Diego in one week with 3 small children.

why? They could pick a base as you suggested, but still go south and north. I don't think it would be hard at all.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM

If you stay in Orange County, then you're equidistant (about an hour) to LA and San Diego.

Just know that the water in California is cold, even in summer...so "beach time" is very different than Florida..it may mean bundling up and playing in the sand.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM

We were huge fans of Legoland for this age group. There are some great rides that the kids will want to do over and over. There are several "mini-roller coasters" that are perfect for an adventurous 5 or 3 year old, but the 2-year-old will not be overwhelmed. There are also creative, simple hands-on things like a a musical instrument that spouts water (best I can explain it). When my youngest was four, he enjoyed the two days at Legoland far more than Disneyland. This summer, he begged us to go back for a day on our recent trip to Anaheim. We ended up dividing forces for a day, where I took the pre-teen to an extra day of Disney and my husband took the 10 and 7 year old down to Legoland.
Here is my trip report, or click on my profile if this link doesn't work:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...a-birthday.cfm

The San Diego Zoo has animals you may not have in your own home zoo.... it has been a long time since I was there but I checked their website and they still appear to have the koalas and the flamingos and it appears they have giant pandas now too.

Please take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but if it were me....I would stay three nights in Carlsbad, going to Legoland for two days and the San Diego Zoo or the beach for one day.

I would spend the other three nights in Anaheim, going to Disneyland/California Adventure for one or two days and doing another beach or one of the great science museums in Los Angeles for another day. The mammoths at La Brea are really cool, or there are several museums in Exposition Park (near USC). Also one of these science museums would not be an all-day event and allow down time at the hotel.

In terms of saving money, Disneyland and Carlsbad had many moderate priced hotels if you do your research. We liked the Howard Johnson, but I have seen others recommended on this board as well. People will contend that the cities near these attractions are boring, and they're right. With your age group, my guess is that you all will be tired by evening and just want a clean, quiet room. With any amusement park, it is nice to walk or ride a shuttle back to the room to nap or swim for the early afternoon and then come back early evening for a few rides and a parade. Obviously the Disney hotels are the very closest if that's your budget--or maybe with this economy you will score a better deal.

Also to save money: Often times zoos and science museums have reciprocal arrangements where if you are a member at your home zoo or museum, you get one free visit to locations elsewhere in the country. For Legoland, there are coupons in Entertainment books and in the catalogs available at lego stores. Note that there is a lego store in Downtown Disney as well where you likely can obtain a coupon.

Have fun planning, whatever destination you choose!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM

If the beaches are one of the main deciding factors than pick Florida. Not only is the water warmer, but the water is clearer, shallower, and the waves (if any) are calmer.