Search

5 days in La and SD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in La and SD

Sept19, 4 days in LA, 1 day in San Diego. What to see, to do? Any special events, such as balloon festivals anywhere?
Most importantly, where NOT to go.
Hows the beach water at that time? Will want to go for a swim for first time
on that side of the U.S. I am more interested in nature than architecture. Hollywood and studios dont interest me as much now as they used to a while back. Is Universal studios there the same as in Orlando?
Is T2-3D showing in LA as well? Is the San Diego zoo any better than Bronx Zoo?

I really wasnt that impressed with all the replicas in Las Vegas, such as the Eiffel Tower, Venice, Statue of Liberty, Italian statues, Bellagio's fountains was just water shooting up, etc. I dont want to see anything that exists somewhere else, or fakery, replicas, etc. It was the first time I saw flamingos though, and loved the Grand Canyon.
So, I am looking for something I have not seen a thousand times on TV and in the movies; something that will make me say wow! that's why I came out west!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM

In LA area, Olivera Street, LaBrea Tar Pits, Mulholland Drive overlook of the city, Rodeo Drive, Getty and Gene Autry Museums, Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica Mountains Recreation Area, and, while it is similar to Disneyworldin FL, Disneyland is still the original and is not duplicated elesewhere.
San Diego, Wild Animal Park, Old Town, Balboa Park, USS Midway and the beaches.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Add to San Diego - Coronado (town and the Del Coronado hotel/beach), La Jolla, San Diego Zoo.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM

San Diego Torrey Pines State Beach and the forest reserve. I do love the zoo..pandas! Although the new baby will not be on display.

The water tends to take a while to warm up and then stay warm into September but don't expect it to be like Florida.

In fact even though I live in LA if you have the option I might split the time more evenly. Skip the beaches in LA for those in SD.

Olvera Street (not Olivera) is "fake" too, BTW.

I would go to the Griffith Park Observatory. Free admission and parking.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM

It should be 1 day in LA and 4 days in San Diego!
You'll be kicking yourself if you don't.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
lvk

Rent a bike and ride along the South Bay bike trail, stopping for lunch or to take a dip, watching the surfers, volleyball players, hanggliders and odd assortment of characters. Here's a very general overview: http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports...hbay/index.htm

Take a drive along the Palos Verdes Peninsula (http://wikitravel.org/en/Palos_Verdes ), stopping to walk the trails near the newest coastal resort: http://www.terranea.com/palos-verdes...-vacations.php

Whale watch out of Long Beach. www.2seewhales.com. For other sea creatures: www.aquariumofthepacific.org

For events, check: www.laweekly.com/calendar

September is the absolute best month of the year along the Southern Cal. coast, IMO.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

What's going on with all the fires in CA? Any near LA or San Diego? Any issues for those with asthma or health problems? Any smog, smoke, or any evacuations taking place anywhere I should worry about?
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM

There are no fires currently in San Diego County that I am aware of.
The fires you've been seeing on the news are in Northern California, which is probably 600 miles north of San Diego.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Fires in CA are an annual occurrence and are most fierce under hot dry "Santa Ana" conditions where the wind comes in from the high desert and is heated due to compression as it approaches the coastal areas.

Sure. If you are near the smoke plume, your breathing can be affected, even if you have no health problems.

Check this site for info. You won't be here for another month, so anything happening now will be over by then.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Both the San Diego zoo and the Bronx zoo make the top 10 on some lists. To paraphrase an old song: If I'm not near the zoo I love, I love the zoo I'm near.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM

The beach water temperature will be 66-67 F.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Take a look at this article.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/l...city-guide.htm
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM

we've been in the ocean water all month and its been around 73-75 degrees in SD..depends on where you are and the upwellings that occur in the canyons..mid September will be warmer than 66 degrees in SD..should be around 69-70 degrees and that would be more north of La Jolla..
LA will have colder water temps.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM

based on your quote "I am more interested in nature than architecture" ...

LA:
Griffith Park and LA Zoo (1 day)
Santa Monica north / Malibu canyons (1 day - mostly driving)
Beaches: Santa Monica, Venice for excellent people watching -think human zoo (1 day)

San Diego:
Torrey Pines (1/2 day unless you stay for beach too)
Wild Animal Park (1 day)

In between:
Palos Verdes drive was excellent suggestion
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I am back from LA. Man is LA huge! Loved the Grove! Wasnt impressed with the Getty museum, too far from city to see anything. The garden was too small and not much there. Santa Monica beach, 3rd st. promenade was good. Venice beach was far out! Olvera street I could live without. Hollywood, well not much there besides the stars and handprints on the ground. Too many clowns walking around. Beverly Hills and Rodeo dr. were cool. Mulholland dr. was much too dangerous to bother driving on ever again.
Loved San Diego! Coronado rocks! Old Town was cool. Sea Village was cool.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM

I thought you were wondering about Louisiana and S. Dakota.